back to article Who will buy our darn DRAM? Micron smacked in wallet again

It was not a happy Christmas for Micron, as the numbers confirm it is suffering in the solid state memory and storage business with a fourth consecutive decline in revenues and fifth in profits. It made $3.35bn in revenues for its first fiscal 2016 quarter, compared to $4.57bn a year ago and $3.6bn in the preceding quarter, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simply amazing...

Before you know it someone will realize that the PC industry has plateaued and will not continue to enjoy meteoric growth.

1. Aitor 1

Re: Simply amazing...

Add tablets and phablets.. and there you have it.

Right now I am writing with a 5.5" phone...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Right now I am writing with a 5.5" phone...

That's not a phone. It is a small tablet with phone capabilities ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"That's not a phone. It is a small tablet with phone capabilities"

And of the several GB of RAM that either of the two possibilities will include, how many of them are likely to come from Micron?

Strikes me that there's a fair chance that DRAM sales might be higher than they've ever been (in GB terms if not in revenue terms). Maybe it's just not going into SIMMs, DIMMs, etc, any more?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where do you put the ink?

2. streaky

These sectors tend to be driven wherever analysts say they'll go. It only takes one thing. It's happened with tablets - they said this and they did this and they said that and they did that.

There's stuff coming to drive consumer PC sales - the problem is corporate sales have sort of lost the need for more power because PCs do whatever most office workers need. Always room for server sales though - if anything server sales will replace corporate PC sales to a certain extent.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"There's stuff coming to drive consumer PC sales"

Really? In significant volume?

Is it top secret?

2. ben_myers

Who in hell is Aaron Rakers?

Stifel MD Aaron Rakers? Is he a medical doctor like presidential wannabe Ben Carson? Oh, he's the Managing Director. Why should I care about Stifel? Rakers belabors the obvious and gets quoted for this article. Hey, why not ask me for my opinion? Doh! Micron's SSD and DRAM sales are down, down, down. PC sales are down, down, down.. Gee, I wonder if there is some sort of relation between the two? Are Micron officials drinking their own kool-aid, predicting that their business will recover? They sure are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who in hell is Aaron Rakers?

Hey man, don't diss the Rakers. He's Chris Mellor's favorite analyst go-to guy. Without Rakers there'd be 50% less storage articles in the Reg.

3. Rick Brasche

how things change

when I got out of tech school in the Seattle area a couple decades ago, people who went down to work for Micron were the objects of envy. Always stories of what seemed to be opulent year end bonuses and, for the area, high wages.

Now, almost nothing.

So people wonder why I counsel extreme against it when something like a government decides to tie in with some "big company" to handle it's internal data systems...when the Biggest and Baddest have been around for less time and often fail spectacularly, but had anyone said anything bad about Micron over a decade ago and said it would be failing fortunes in a little over two decades, I would have been the target of much ridicule.

a hundred and fifty year old government funded and mandated service completely dependent on a 20 year old private company that has only had this capability for about 8 years? yeah makes perfect sense. :P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like