back to article Hey, Santa – duck! Space shaft buzzes Earth on Christmas Eve

Unfortunate-looking Asteroid 2003 SD220 will shoot past Earth on Christmas Eve, say scientists tracking the mysterious speeding rock. The cosmic boulder is described as "highly elongated," and at least 3,600 feet (1,100 metres) in length. It was picked up this week by a 230-foot (70-metre) NASA antenna in Goldstone, California …

1. Notas Badoff
    Boffin

Which?

If someone asks me about the doom bringing asteroid, I'll ask them "which one?" The one last month, the one a month before that, the closer one two months before that, or one of the other three earlier this year? And how about the closer ones last year? Strangely though, I don't get asked about such much anymore...

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Which?

It's this one! And I have sure as death doom proof for it: my terrible headache. I just know that it's asteroid SD220 passing by. What else?!

(Some infidels might blame tonight's feast. But seriously, who'd believe that.)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't worry, I have a tiger that keeps giant rocks away.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Go

I congratulate you and feel I have to say that it's proven to be remarkably effective, as rock-repelling tigers go.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

The one that eventually will actually hit earth. Yeah, that one.

2. x 7

looks like an oversized penis bone (baculum)

How big is the rest of the skeleton and WTF is it? Did it come from the great bear?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's the Martians getting back at us for this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The asteroid named "Bickus Dickus"

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

"Only Dr. Hans Zarkov, formerly of NASA, provided an explanation"

no cause for concern

This is code for "we are fucked".

The Express has it right:

News of the close pass comes after it was reported yesterday that conspiracy theories believe a mysterious planet called Planet X or Nibiru, said to be four times the size of Jupiter will pass the Earth this month, but wipe out life due to its immense gravitational force ripping up continents and showering us with comets.

There is no science to back any of that up.

Not a problem! We produce our OWN science!

According to the Idea Girl Severe Storm Predictions Warnings website 2003 SD220 could have enough gravitational pull on Earth to trigger earthquakes or volcanoes.

It's actually an elongated Neutron Star that will switch on its immense gravitational field at periastron! We are doomed!

4. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Alien

Sounds like it's under intelligent control - an orbit 12 million clicks this year, down to 2.8 in a few years then 2.7 in 55 years. It's not natural I tell ya, not natural at all.

Fortunately my tinfoil hat will protect me !!!!

5. VinceH
    Alien

Wait! Are we sure this isn't Rama?

Okay, so it's a somewhat flawed cylinder, nowhere near as big, and arriving at the wrong point in time - but if we ignore all the facts, surely we have to consider the obvious?

6. Captain DaFt

God sends Earth a Christmas message

Flings poo at us.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: God sends Earth a Christmas message

Yeah, I was thinking it looks more like the Captains Log than a "shaft" too.

Oh well, back to the kitchen. It's my turn to cook this year :-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Santa and his eight tiny reindeer"

There are nine reindeer FFS (http://www.noradsanta.org/)

1. frank ly

Re: "Santa and his eight tiny reindeer"

I don't believe in Rudolph.

1. Mark 85
        Joke

Re: "Santa and his eight tiny reindeer"

That's OK. Rudolph said he doesn't believe in you, either.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"11,000,000 km"

11M km divided by 6,371 km, squared, one in 3M odds of intersecting with Earth. VERY roughly.

Time for some Planetary Defences.

1. Chris G

Re: "11,000,000 km"

"one in 3M odds of intersecting with Earth. VERY roughly."

If you consider the odds of winning the lottery (last time I looked) are some 14M:1 and someone wins most weeks, then we are most seriously and definitely DOOMED.

Luckily I live on a Mediterranean Island and nothing comes here in the winter, not even disasters.

1. DropBear
        Trollface

Clearly, they overlooked how the math works out - it might be that any one of us has a one in a million chance to have his planet obliterated by a cosmic pool ball some time soon, but there are BILLIONS of us! IT'S PRACTICALLY CERTAIN TO HAPPEN!

1. Jeffrey Nonken

As anybody who reads Discworld can tell you, one-in-a-million chances always happen!

9. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

The image from December 4th

Clearly shows this is none other than Mr Hankey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QrenY1fTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcJd_ql710Q

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

The great Christmas poo

New religion in, 10, 9, 8, 7...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like