back to article NASA books second Boeing space taxi

NASA reckons it's well on the way to restoring US human spaceflight capabilities with confirmation of the second booking for Boeing's CST-100 Starliner. Boeing - along with SpaceX and its Crew Dragon spacecraft - is moving towards establishing space taxi services to the International Space Station as part of the Commercial …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"Sustainable future on ISS"

What happened to the idea to de-orbit the old golden battlehorse anyway?

1. Matthew 17

Re: "Sustainable future on ISS"

Still happening but they've extended operation beyond 2020 now.

2. Stuart 22

50 Years On ...

They could swop that straight into the Smithsonian to replace Apollo and few would spot the difference.

Looks like we need a third contender with something a little different and a tad more exciting. George Lucas launching something from Pinewood Studios? I would have said Stanley Kubrik who really knew how today's space vehicles should look back in 1968. Imaginative use of plywood. We could even save a bit of a forest and use this 'Starliner' as a double for Dr. Dave Bowman's Pod.

My lips never moved.

1. AndyS

Re: 50 Years On ...

Why should things necessarily "look" significantly different just because some years have passed?

Do you think most people could tell the difference between a Boeing 737 from 1967 and a modern one? And yet they are very different aircraft.

2. Swarthy

I would think that things would have changes in 50-odd (very odd) years; but, on the other hand, some things are just defined by what they do. Mayhap the engineers 50 years ago picked the ultimate best-function design, and as far as the shape and form, we've not had any significant updates to improve it.

It would be ungood to go changing things to make it look "more modern", that way lies joss sticks and whalesong, not to mention nasally fitted fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

More like "least worst" design given current state of the art and budget-time constraints.

3. Killing Time

Well they now have mood lighting and 'wireless internet and tablet technology for crew interfaces' .

So it's toys and games while they are waiting for the door to open...

4. Simon Harris

"a tad more exciting"?

If I was being launched into a hostile environment on top of half a million gallons or so of explosive fuel the last thing I'd want is more excitement!

Trollface

Yeah but do you REALLY want to pass on tweeting your excitement to followers while blogging about the UX of the capsule and keeping an eye on the latest Trump/Hillary soundtardbite from the corner of your eye?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

"Starliner"

Can I sue for false advertising??

Yeah, 1960s tech tarted up to look modern, we should have proper space planes capable of taking off an landing on standard commercial runways by now.

Spluttered coffee all over my keyboard !!!

Re: "Starliner"

Eagles would be nice (but one has to invent wormholes first to transfer reaction mass to these elegant birds while they fly)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Starliner"

Yeah, I liked the Eagle, but I am not sure I have the legs for flared spacesuits.

4. GBE

As enjoyed by passengers aboard [...] airliners.

"As enjoyed by passengers aboard [...] airliners."

Um, I think the verb you're looking for is "survived" or "endured".

5. BurnT'offering

Considerably more legroom than Easyjet

And, at 220 pounds, a higher carry-on allowance. A bargain!

6. Pen-y-gors

WiFi for control systems?

Is it a coincidence that today we also have the story of Iranian hackers targetting US control systems. What could possibly go wrong?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: WiFi for control systems?

"What could possibly go wrong?"

If they're flying within WIFI range or in orbit in WIFI range, they're welcome to do whatever they want to do.

Seriously, if they are in orbit or flying alongside of a hypersonic rocket headed into orbit, do you honestly think they'll be breaking WPA2 Enterprise encryption?

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

And there I was thinking that we were in 2015

and not 1965

So how does this capsule differ from the Mecrury ones of the mid 1960's. Sure there is some more high tech but shirley the all mighty USofA could come up with some new designs or was there no money left in the NASA budget for even a slight re-design.

Sad. How the mighty have fallen.

The chinese must be laughing at them.

1. Killing Time

Re: And there I was thinking that we were in 2015

Errr... I think the Chinese are pretty much mimicking the US and the Russian designs.

There are only so many variations on a shape which can sit on top of a rocket, contain personnel and equipment, be robust enough to maintain itself as a pressure vessel through multiple pressurisation / depressurisation cycles and have the requisite aerodynamics and toughness to survive multiple re-entries. The mention of a weld-less design indicates they are working on the durability,welds are a real point of weakness in a pressure cycling equipment.

What were you expecting? Something out of Flash Gordon with a control desk and decked out with vanes and pointy bits?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

China licensed the design Russia uses, then modified it to have more additional space and one more crew member.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Joke

"What were you expecting? Something out of Flash Gordon with a control desk and decked out with vanes and pointy bits?"

That would be a good start. Then it needs rocket engines that sound like a blocked up vacuum cleaner and light up like a bunch of sparklers giving little, if any, apparent thrust while it lands softly on it's belly with no supporting thrust.

It also has a container with particularly gorgeous girlswomen.

Every spaceship needs that!

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"So how does this capsule differ from the Mecrury ones of the mid 1960's."

We can tell that you're ignorant on the subject. Mercury was a 1950's program, Apollo was the entire 1960's through 1972.

Let's see, modern materiel, more leg room, different and much improved electronics, for starters.

The physics doesn't change because the year is different.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that 220 pounds per passenger or total? Since the original specs call for up to seven passengers and at least their basic flight suit/gear/seats, there should be several hundred pounds left and a lot of free space with only four.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Thats 220 pounds total afaik

9. Gordon 10
    Flame

Preferential Treatment

AFAIK the CST100 hasn't even left the Earths atmosphere (first flight Jan 2017 if it doesn't slip) whereas Dragon has done 3? cargo runs already. OK its not the crew version but surely it warrants better treatment than Boeing's paltry effort?

Can anyone say Pork?

I look forward to watching the Boeing date slip and Nasa having to go cap in hand to Space-X.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SpaceX landing makes this looks like a museum re-enactment of the 1960s

Compared to SpaceX plans, this look like a museum re-enactment of the 1960s. Funnily still they (Boing) got a lot bigger pot of gold. Go figure, lobbyists are earning their pay I guess?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like