back to article Brit 'naut Tim Peake tucks into space bacon sarnie

European Space Agency astronaut Tim Peake has pushed the orbital nosh envelope by enjoying a bacon sarnie as his first meal aboard the International Space Station. What makes a good leader? @StationCDRKelly having a hot bacon sarnie waiting as my 1st meal on #ISS. Boy that tasted good! #Principia — Tim Peake (@astro_timpeake) …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The brown sauce would be fine. The bread is usually tortilla as I understand it.

So something like this.

2. A K Stiles

Makes me think of

"PIIIIIGS IN SPAAAAAACE!"

1. Vinyl-Junkie
      Thumb Up

Re: Makes me think of

Damn! You got there first! Have an upvote.

LH, isn't it time we had a bacon sarnie icon for commentards to use?

1. Anonymous Custard
        Thumb Up

Re: Makes me think of

And another one, for the same reason...

Still think the strapline for the el Reg coverage of the actual launch should have been "Peake's in spaaaaaaaaaaacccccccceeeeeeeeee" as well. Trick missed there oh Vulture overlords...

3. Craig 2
    Thumb Up

Good to know we British are finally bringing culinary sophistication to space...

1. andy k O'Croydon
      Trollface

re: culinary sophistication

No-one else on the planet seems to appreciate it.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: re: culinary sophistication

No-one else on the planet seems to appreciate it.

No-one else on the planet knows how to get decent bacon (well, except the Irish, of course)

2. AMBxx Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Proper Brit

He took tea bags too. Arise Sir Tim!

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Proper Brit

>He took tea bags too. Arise Sir Tim!

He did. But for the usual safety reasons, the ISS Hydro-Entropy Adjustment Technology only heats water to 87 deg C.

It's going to be a loooong six months without a properly brewed cuppa, even for the relentlessly positive Major Tim.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Proper Brit

Someone of course did ask him that question in an interview and he said that water boils at about 100C on the ISS. I'm not sure if they actually do heat it up that much for food/drinks though.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As I said to someone this morning

Orbital Oink. But can you hear the squeal in space? I am aware that in space, no one can hear your chicken scream, but Pigs might have a bit more get up and go about them.

5. lawndart

It's Friday so fish and chips today.

When do they tuck into the vindaloo?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am quite convinced

that the (un)savoury gaseous, solid, and semi solid emissions resulting from the ingestion of said vindaloo could make the ISS crew send the ingestee behind a sealed escape airlock for 24 hours....

1. Little Mouse

Re: I am quite convinced

@AC:

....Whoooooosh!

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Alert

Oh, I dunno. It could be so much worse.

Chicken Dopiaza....... There's nothing like a Dopiaza for emptying a Victoria Line tube carriage in the rush hour the following morning.

3. cray74

Chris Hadfield, astronaut extraordinaire (due to the powers granted by that mustache), provided some insight on orbital flatulence and <a href="http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/retired-astronaut-answers-amazing-questions-about-space/story-fnjwlcze-1226776314758>informal jet propulsion experiments</a>

A common point (not addressed by Hadfield, but elsewhere) is that flatus tends to remain local in zero-G for lack of convection and breezes**. You have no one to blame but yourself.

**Obviously, you want to be near ventilation lines.

6. graeme leggett Silver badge

How long did he have to wait for it?

Given he docked Tuesday night.

Personally after a long journey I'm usually quite hungry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How long did he have to wait for it?

They get sick in the first day or two. It's down to stomach contents floating around in free-fall. This is clearly the first food he could stomach.

7. Unep Eurobats
    Boffin

Send Heston up there

Meals in space: that's a TV cookery niche ripe to be exploited.

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: Send Heston up there

Heston WAS hired to come up with recipes for Tim, and his show will air on C4 in the spring

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Send Heston up there

oh *that* Heston , I thought you meant the damn dirty ape botherer

8. JDX Gold badge

"brown sauce"

Get out.

9. JohnMurray

Given that on earth the fat liberally spatters over anything, and in space there is a lack of gravity (and gravitas); we can take it that everything will be liberally greased?

1. RubberJohnny

I have my own personal gravity that without fail attracts whatever I am eating to the front of whatever I am wearing.

10. MaddMatt

As i said to the kids

As soon as he reached orbit is went "PEAAAKS IN SPAAACE".

Then had to explain miss piggy, the muppets and the pigs in space sketch to the kids...

1. Little Mouse
      Thumb Up

Re: As i said to the kids

The new series is showing on Sky1 at the moment in the UK and is definitely worth a watch, for kids and ex-kids alike. That should make the explaining a little easier, although there's no Pigs in Space (boooooo!)

The Swedish Chef and poor Beaker both make appearances though, and that's good enough for me.

11. zebm

Surely ketchup

Brown sauce for a sausage buttie, ketchup for a bacon. These are intergalactic rules, surely?

1. Oz

Re: Surely ketchup

It is in my world, but I believe the aficionados choose brown sauce with bacon...

1. RubberJohnny

Get ketchup anywhere near my bacon sarnie and I'll show you the mother of all tantrums.

1. JDX Gold badge

No. Brown sauce has only one natural habitat and that is the bin.

2. Bleu

Ketchup, brown sauce, sure if it is part of a hamburger. If not, hot mustard or at least mustard of some kind is the only tasteful choice.

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Exactly! Good to see somebody else who understands the Rules Of Sauce...I tried explaining to SWMBO why I refused to pass her ketchup to put on a sausage sandwich and she just couldn't comprehend

3. Fibbles

You think that's bad? My mother liberally applies ketchup to her Sunday dinner.

I might have been able to vaguely understand the twisted logic of it if the ketchup was used instead of rather than as well as gravy.

12. DrXym

Beans on toast

That's the ultimate challenge.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Beans on toast

Come on Heston, create a space dineable "full English" and get that rotten "Continental Breakfast" crap out of the limelight

2. JDX Gold badge

But on the other hand, when you drop the toast it won't land beans-side down.

1. x 7

"But on the other hand, when you drop the toast it won't land beans-side down."

when you're in space, the ONLY way is down.........

13. Efros

Probably Post Orbital Bevvy Neckfiller

Bet those Russkis have been plying Tim with some orbital hooch!

1. Vinyl-Junkie
      Pint

Re: Probably Post Orbital Bevvy Neckfiller

Indeed. Even if there isn't any officially sanctioned alcohol on board I suspect some enterprising soul has whipped something up, and with easy access to hard vacuum distillation wouldn't be out of the question either!

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Paris Hilton

Yup, the Russians'll drink anything when forced.

When Gorbachev turned off the Vodka tap, the entire Red Army was immobilised. The grunts drank all the antifreeze out of the vehicles and all the engine blocks cracked come the following winter.

1. x 7

must have been a good way of slashing the Red Army wages bill, considering antifreeze is normally either ethylene glycol or methanol.............NOT ethanol

1. Zuagroasta

Re: Probably Post Orbital Bevvy Neckfiller - Urban Legend

There's an urban legend that says crew chiefs in the VVS drank up all the ethanol meant for the planes' water-ethanol injection systems (takeoff thrust helper) and that this little habit caused major logistical headaches in winter because mission readiness went to hell...

2. JDX Gold badge

Have they tried brewing in microgravity yet?

1. MrT

Nice idea - a microgravity microbrewery... The orbital pub crawl between there and the orbital vodka distillery would be a bit samey after a while. Might be a long wait for the kebab van to arrive halfway back to the bunkhouse though.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
          Pint

Have they tried brewing in microgravity yet?

Yes! See here: http://www.space.com/23141-space-beer-student-space-station-experiment.html

14. x 7

so pigs CAN fly.......

1. lawndart

But only when sliced

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Fine, he can tuck into his bacon sarnie if he wants....

But if astronaut Peake gets bacon-related cancer while he is up there, I am not going up to take him to the hospital...

16. Captain DaFt

"What makes a good leader? @StationCDRKelly having a hot bacon sarnie waiting as my 1st meal on #ISS. Boy that tasted good!"

And just like that, Space suddenly seems so much more hospitable to me!

17. Bleu

I used to go to a tiny bar

near Tokyo station. (15 or so minutes on foot), one of the other regulars at the time would occasionally turn up with home-made bacon made from wild pigs.

It was exquisite, of course not served in bread.

The Canadians and some USA people rate Canadian bacon highly, since I have only ever eaten it here, I am not sure how real or ersatz it was, but pretty good. Not so sure about the maple sauce combo, flavour is alright.

I am sure that others have mentioned that Major Tim (ground control to ...)is not the first Brit in orbit, it was a woman, Helen, I forget the surname, but she went up on Soyuz to Mir years ago.

1. x 7

Re: I used to go to a tiny bar

"it was a woman, Helen"

Helen Sharman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Sharman

18. NomNomNom

so first example of exploitation of animal abuse in space

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like