1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Safe Harbour

What would the EU and UK IT industry look like without Safe Harbour?

Would we need to replace Adobe Photoshop?

Would Win10 cloud and DHD services need to be deactivated to retain a European presence?

Would we see a better IT industry with non-American software developers or face disaster in a stagnant pond of inexperience?

1. Vimes

Re: No Safe Harbour

Would we need to replace Adobe Photoshop?

Quick answer: no.

Safe harbour is about being able to assume authority & permission to export data, nothing more. Nothing is stopping companies from *ASKING* for permission. Getting such permission would allow transfers outside the EU to continue with or without safe harbour.

The continued refusal by so many to consider such a path is revealing however.

In any case in the case of Adobe any problems would presumably be created by their newer paid membership model as opposed to the older perpetual licence model they used to have. Paying continually for software is one of the least welcome developments of recent years as far as I'm concerned, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the back of it.

Would we see a better IT industry with non-American software developers or face disaster in a stagnant pond of inexperience?

I don't think we'll see any significant difference. US corporations will be forced to face the situation of either giving up all those profits from EU customers or ask those same customers for permission beforehand. Want to take a bet which choice they'll make?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon