back to article CES tech show adds new security checks after fears of violence

The annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas is renowned for being crowded – 170,000 people attended last year – but new security restrictions will mean that the traditional lines to get in are going to be exponentially worse. "Due to recent global tragedies, we have new security procedures for CES. This includes bag …

1. Tank boy
    Facepalm

Won't do dick.

Slam that barn door shut long after the horses got out! They do realize that most attendees have to fly to Las Vegas, right? If you have brownish skin you get the full body cavity search, there's all manner of checks and even if you could build a bomb on-site, probably wouldn't do much more than scare people. For fucks sake.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. BebopWeBop

Re: Won't do dick.

and security will be on hand to administer putdowns

No doubt those nice people from the Transportation Security Administration will be moonlighting. It will make for an even more pleasant CES experience. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/26/tsa-airport-screening-lawsuit_n_2958450.html, http://elliott.org/blog/lawsuits-against-tsa-are-piling-up-quickly/ and many others.

3. g e

Seems that the terrorists have 'won' in the US already, by a long chalk.

Assuming you don't go the false flag route which then means the gov't/iluminati/etc have won instead.

4. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Not just that, but all these extra checks do is push the probable location for an incident from inside the exhibit halls to the massive lines outside. Theatre. Pure theatre. Doesn't deal the with source of the problems just shifts the attack vector.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

I disagree.

It makes an incident more likely, as it's much easier to attack a stationary, slow-moving queue outside a venue than to actually go to the trouble of getting a ticket and going in.

Plus a getaway car becomes both possible and a weapon.

It's effectively worse than useless.

2. Captain DaFt

More security theatre

Yep, they think armed guards and dogs patrolling everywhere is inspiring confidence, when past performance shows they wouldn't recognise a real threat if it walked up and asked, "Hey, got a light for this fuse?"

They think they look sooo macho, but they end up looking like this.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Exempting exhibitors?

Good thing terrorists have no money and couldn't afford to create a fake company and pay for a booth to bring in explosives hidden in a big server or something. Only problem is that having booth babes would go against fundamentalist Islam so they couldn't get the crowd they'd want for maximum effect.

1. Swarthy

Re: Exempting exhibitors?

Except that Booth Babe have been banned from CES. El Reg had a bit if coverage of the kerfuffle last year.

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Hmm...

I suspect that any manufacturer showing a device with a count-down display may have some problems this year.

5. Uberseehandel

Doing what the bombers want

How does it go

the bad guys bomb a public space

the heavy handed security folk make attending public events difficult and unpleasant to attend

the events eventually cease

the bad guys do high fives

Any chance we do not go down this path?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Doing what the bombers want

Should have asked in 1950s or so.

6. Alister

"Bags and backpacks with many pockets are not helpful,"

Maybe not, if you're an exhibition organiser...

However, if you're a typical exhibition attendee, then just throwing your laptop, fondleslab, phone, and 30 different USB dongles and chargers into a mesh shopping bag is probably sub-optimal...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you clueless?

How many people must die before the general public comes to understand that the world is now engaged in a war against terrorism that is likely to last for eternity? The U.S. and other countries are and have been at maximum security alert status since the Paris / San Bernardino massacres. Did the general public already forget about these massacres? Does anyone with a clue think that terrorists are going to take a long vacation from killing innocent people, any time soon? If so then I'd suggest you not leave your home for the next 50+ years.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Are you clueless?

I can't quite tell if you were meaning to be sarcastic or simply trolling (if so, not a quality Troll).

And yet, including all of the terrorist killings in USA and EU in the past decades, it is still only equivalent a few weeks of road deaths in the same area (and gun accidents in the USA, for added Troll flavour).

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I think we are still killing Vietnamese via Agent Orangization.

Pray the Karma Container will never spring a leak.

2. Jeffrey Nonken

Maybe he was trying for satire?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wow, I guess many folks really are clueless and in denial. Not to worry, you're chance to be obliterated may not be far away. Denial has never stopped a bullet as far as I can determine from extensive criminal research. The folks who least expect terrorism to show at their door, are the ones who ask "how could this happen", when death and destruction occurs.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"Does anyone with a clue think that terrorists are going to take a long vacation from killing innocent people, any time soon?"

Actually yes - given the relatively rich target environment in the US and the virtually unlimited availability of assault weapons, it's clear that ISIS, Al Qaeda et al., have very little interest or ability to threaten the US since there have been so few genuine incidents.

3. Alister

How many people must die before the general public comes to understand that the world is now engaged in a war against terrorism that is likely to last for eternity?

You do know that San Bernardino was a mass-shooting incident, like Houston, or Platt, or Roseburg, with no compelling evidence of terrorist links?

How many people have died as a result of mass shootings in the US in 2015?

There have been 353 reported incidents, in which 446 people have died.

http://www.shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015

Which is the more worrying thing, mass-shootings, or "terrorism"?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

"Which is the more worrying thing, mass-shootings, or "terrorism"?"

I live in the US and I'm a lot more likely to be killed by a fellow American with a gun and mental health problems than by a Terrorist.

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Weird

"Due to recent global tragedies, we have new security procedures for CES."

Why are Trump, Hillary and the current White House Occupant security problems for CES?

9. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Trollface

Well since its

in America, just have to ask each vistor if they are a top class counter strike/CoD player, hand them an automatic rifle, 100 rnds of ammo and a few flashbangs/grenades and ask them to take care of any terrorists.......

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Re: Well since its

That certainly won't work for Payday players, we only know how to shoot guards and tie up civilians.

But I also play Killing Floor, so if there is a zombie outbreak, I'm your man.

10. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Facepalm

Guns

While they are fretting over what nasty things someone might sneak in a bag I couldn't see anything which said if the event will be a Gun Free Zone or not.

1. NotBob

Re: Guns

Not around the building, anyway. Private property can restrict firearms (management can set the show up as gun-free), but Nevada is, as best I can tell, a shall-issue state for concealed carry permits. Open carry also seems mostly permitted with a few areas restricting it.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Guns

If they declare a Gun Free Zone then they would piss off the NRA and they don't want to do that so we have to live with "Enhanced Security (Theater)" instead.

3. Mark 85

@Jason Bloomberg -- Re: Guns

Nice try... that won't stop a terrorist/bad guy though. Just like a speed limit doesn't stop speeders.

11. Crisp

Bags and backpacks with many pockets are not helpful.

Neither is groping every attendee and rifling through their stuff.

12. Jonathon Green

I like Americans. They're funny...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

And watch what you say on the CES floor!!

No more "That game was da' bomb!!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like