back to article Lower video resolution can deliver better quality, says Netflix

Netflix has revealed a new plan for ensuring its videos arrive in your device looking their best, which can sometimes mean streaming them in lower resolution. The streamer calls its new scheme “Per-Title Encode Optimization”. As the name implies, the company is now analysing the content it offers and delivering it in different …

1. a_yank_lurker

I may have missed something but it sounds like Netlix is trying to match the screen size and maximum resolution of the stream. In photography, size of the photo is directly proportional to the maximum size it can be printed before artifacts become noticeable and annoying. Not strong on video resolution and screen sizes.

1. Paul Shirley

They don't use enough bandwidth to support simultaneous high res and high detail or motion video. They've taken the cheap option of trading reduced spatial resolution for enhanced motion resolution (and simply thrown away detail), cheap because it saves them money on bandwidth, storage and processing, 20% storage reduction has been suggested. Now they need to convince punters it's all for their benefit, not just Netflix profits.

Unfortunately they can't really rely on increasing bandwidth, the US infrastructure isn't good enough, so customers just get a different bandwidth caused problem to suffer. Given how many seem unable to spot upscaled video it's probably the best choice.

Can't be as bad as iPlayer's dynamic resolution scaling, which is extremely noticeable and highly irritating. More accurately it can't be if they want to stay in business.

1. Neoc

@Paul Shirley: The article implies that the conversion is done "live" via software in containers which are spun up as required. While it might save on bandwidth, there is no saving on actual storage and in fact there will be an increase in processing (at least on their end).

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

They're trying to deal with the lack of customer bandwidth

Pixel resolution is a fairly meaningless quality measurement in video anyway.

If the video is 3840x2160 but breaks up into clearly visible encoding blocks at any point, the video is unwatchably bad.

Even if it doesn't break up, the sustained bitrate you can actually get from your ISP will probably wipe out any possible extra detail.

At 1280x720 the same bandwidth can probably encode a much better looking video, and your 4k screen can upscale the result to give something objectively and subjectively better.

1. Lusty

Re: They're trying to deal with the lack of customer bandwidth

It's not Netflix that created the demand for 4k though, is it? They probably did know this all along, but idiots buying 4k TVs have demanded 4k content and have been happy to have content that looks worse than 1080 because it says it has more pixels. If TV companies had developed better smart systems rather than cramming in more pixels we'd be better off overall. As it is, the smart interface in most 4k TVs is already obsolete so they won't have access to Netflix for long anyway...

2. tony72

@Neoc - they would be absolutely insane to encode the streams live, and I hardly need to read the article to tell you that the don't do that. Encoding the same video over and over each time somebody watches it makes no sense whatsoever. But allow me to quote from the Netflix tech blog post that this article refers to, just to be absolutely clear;

"We pre-encode streams at various bitrates applying optimized encoding recipes. On the member’s device, the Netflix client runs adaptive streaming algorithms which instantaneously select the best encode to maximize video quality while avoiding playback interruptions due to rebuffers."

1. Paul Shirley

@tony72

The Reg does seem to be cherry picking what it wants to report. No mention of the offline re-encoding project that aims to drop storage by 20% for those master copies or any guesswork about what that recoding actually does (I'd guess they're just turning on constant Q and generating variable bitrate but that's just a guess). That recoding will be powered by their cloud instances in spare time.

The Reg concentrated exclusively on the lowered resolution scheme and guesswork about some improbable and unnecessary real time transcoding.

1. Vic

some improbable and unnecessary real time transcoding.

Certainly improbable in this instance - because it is unnecessary.

A few years ago, I worked on a device that offered[1] up to 144 simultaneous real-time transcodes. The idea was that multiple device types combined with NVOD would mean such things were useful - and as this all fit in a 1U case, that was quite a transcode density. But you don't do stuff like that in software, even if you do like Docker...

I'm not sure if the company sold any, mind.

Vic.

[1] I found out a few weeks ago that the current spec is for 72 simultaneous transcodes. Ho well...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

There's plenty of silicon to do it

Including relatively programmable silicon that can be configured to handle a variety of source and target encodings.

Or just go for commodity GPGPU, which is slower but much cheaper.

1. Vic

Re: There's plenty of silicon to do it

Including relatively programmable silicon that can be configured to handle a variety of source and target encodings.

Well, I worked for the market leader in this field. And they used FPGA.

Now I'm not going to tell you that this is the only way to do it - I haven't done sufficient research for that - but I can tell you that this is how it is done, despite the fact that the people choosing to do this had carte blanche in terms of how they did it (including generating custom silicon).

Vic.

2. Vic

They've taken the cheap option of trading reduced spatial resolution for enhanced motion resolution (and simply thrown away detail)

So has everyone else.

Digital TV is lossily compressed. You've got a tradeoff between resolution, frame rate, ability to cope with motion[1], and bandwidth used. Different providers pick different compromises.

What Netflix is saying is that, for some types of content, the artefacts caused by dropping the transmitted resolution are less noticeable that the artefacts introduced by encoding a higher resolution at lower quality. And they are exactly right; the trick is in determining what sort of content you've got...

Unfortunately they can't really rely on increasing bandwidth, the US infrastructure isn't good enough

No infrastructure is good enough; given sufficient framerate, frame size, and quality, any infrastructure will be overloaded eventually.

Disclosure: I've been in this industry for quite a while...

Vic.

[1] Simple Y- and Y- translations compress well; this is what MPEG expects. Zooming and rotating are far more costly in terms of bandwidth used. I've found the old Doctor Who title sequence to be quite exacting.

2. m0rt

Life imitates art?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/01/netflix_teams_with_aws_to_launch_vhsasaservice_variant/

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Ow, wow!

What a wonderful discovery of an obvious fact known full well to anyone who has ever worked with digital video. Oh, I'm amazed, only took them what, 10 years?

4. wolfetone Silver badge

I would sooner have analogue TV with ghosting on the picture rather than having super hi-def video that buffers every 5 minutes.

Kids today won't know that something that's lower quality but plays uninterrupted is always going to be 100% better than something that's high quality but has to buffer every 10 minutes.

1. MJI Silver badge

Broadcast TV seems fine to me.

And that is now digital, but no buffering required (not counting key frames)

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Broadcast TV seems fine to me.

But when there is interference on analogue the picture goes fuzzy then returns to normal. On digital the sound and vision will stop, then stutter, then continue. Which is a step backwards really.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Broadcast TV seems fine to me.

But I get a HD anamorphic picture with no ghosting

5. Tim Jenkins

...scenes with fast-moving objects, quick scene changes, explosions and water splashes...

Every Pirates of the Caribbean outing, best watched at a resolution of anything you like, provided all the pixels are permanently set to #000000.

6. manky

I'll stick with my native 720p/1080i/1080p24 Panasonic Plasma for a while longer then... eventually there will be a reasonable amount of 4K/UHD content with a reasonable balance between compression and image quality but for now it's a buzz word designed to entice the vulnerable who 'need' the latest TV - even if they don't quite understand why.

7. Gordan

CRF?

"These days, the company's decided that approach was a bit arbitrary because it can result in artefacts appearing during busy moments of a complex film, while also using rather more resources than were required to stream something simpler, wasting storage and network resources along the way."

So they haven't heard of ffmpeg -crf 18 ?

Constant Rate Factor (CRF) does exactly what is described above, in that it compresses down the minimum size for the selected level of visual quality. Granted, this means the bit rate isn't fixed/constant, but given that some buffering will be happening anyway that isn't that big a problem most of the time.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: CRF?

The catch is you can't assume unlimited buffering capacity, so the encoding rate may still be constrained by a relatively short moving window. On something like a smart TV that could be a low limit, far too little for a 10min action sequence for instance. At that point only reducing resolution or framerate will fulfil the buffering, encoding bandwidth & artefact constraints.

2. Named coward

It's a bit more than that but it's related. They calculate, "At each QP point, for every title, ...the resulting bitrate in kbps, ...and PSNR (Peak Signal-To-Noise Ratio) in dB, "...and from that they calculate, for a given bandwidth, which resolution is best for a particular movie.

3. Vic

Constant Rate Factor (CRF) does exactly what is described above, in that it compresses down the minimum size for the selected level of visual quality

That's probably unusable in most broadcast contexts. You don't have the bit budget to just allocate more bandwidth when needed; even VBR has min & max settings, because otherwise, something downstream gets swamped. And that means breakup at the client end, which doesn't make you popular.

Vic.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

18 months of fibre to the home

We've had FTTH for about a year and a half now. We have selected the 150 Mbps service, not yet taking their more expensive nearly-Gb offering. Several family can be watching several HD videos from YouTube at once, no issue. Certainly 'ready for prime time'.

We don't subscribe to Netflix because their library leans towards 'brain pablum', tedious entertainment crap typically of no intellectual value. YouTube offers a vast selection of far more educational material.

1. Dan Wilkie

Re: 18 months of fibre to the home

Not sure YouTube is really the bastion of educational material, 90% of what I see on there seems to be either fat people falling over or animals thinking they're people...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Alert

Yes, but if you believe that Jesus was an alien monster, is still alive and now runs a cartel forcing the world toward shale fracking, YouTube is where you'll find the documentary to prove you're right.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Here, try this as an example.

Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUtAHbS0DWw

There are zillions more on YouTube and similar sites.

Do some of you need help learning how to use YouTube?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Example video gone. Kinda like Netflux, LOL

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dan Wilkie

If one goes outside and randomly eats something, it'll likely be dirt or a twig. However, if one can manage to find one's way from one's home to a fine restaurant, then chances are good that it'll be a lovely meal.

YouTube is better if you use the Search function to find something you're interested in. Don't just randomly select random videos.

I shouldn't have to explain this towards refuting your attempted point.

9. Richard Lloyd

480p Netflix on a fibre connection

My Humax Freesat DVR finally got a Netflix app this week, so I signed up for a free month to the HD package (and immediately cancelled to avoid auto-payment when the free month is up, but you still get to use your free month). I couldn't understand why the picture wasn't sharp on my wired 40 Mbps fibre connection and 1080p plasma though.

It turns out Netflix defaults to "Auto" playing mode and the info button on the remote confirmed it was only playing HD content at 480p despite my decent setup. I had to go onto the Netflix Web site and flick the playing mode to "High" - as soon as I did that, the HD movie I was playing flicked from 480p to 1080p mid-stream, with no buffering or pixellation and a much sharper picture. In other words, Auto mode is terrible at estimating your bandwidth and I wonder how many HD subscribers have been playing back at 480p because of the crappy Auto mode?

Talking of HD, if the vast majority of Netflix content is available in HD and it's likely the vast majority of Netflix potential or paid-up subscribers have HD TVs, then why do Netflix charge an extra 1.50 per month for HD? Netflix will claim it's for the bandwidth usage (they muddy this by offering 2 simultaneous devices in the HD package), but the Auto default playing mode selecting 480p (at least for me) sounds like a convenient bug/feature to save using bandwidth on HD accounts to me....

10. Stevie

Bah!

Oh great. So now Netflix will present me with a frame smaller than my TV giving me the choice of squinting or telling the device to fix things and buggering up the aspect ratio or cropping the picture.

So much for 21st century "technology".

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Bah!

I'm pretty sure that Netflix upscale whatever they're showing you to be full screen.

Now, instead of having a full resolution video which falls apart into encoding blocks as soon as something moves, you'll have a video which looks lower quality, but is consistent in that level of quality.

If only there was some way that one could pre-buffer an entire video beforehand, at high resolution. Rather than sending it over the internet, it might even make sense to ship the file on physical media instead on, say, a DVD?

Netflix should get right on that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are apps to download You Tube videos, so that they're saved as a local file.

Makes life much easier for people with low bandwidth connections, or wishing to watch certain videos later, perhaps on an airplane (for example).

Nothing similar for Nutflix yet?

2. nil0

@phuzz

Indeed - I prefer to watch my films at 1920x1080 with a bitrate of 20, 30, even 40Mbps.

Buffering is done by the postman.

11. Andy 97

Some OTT operators in Europe have been doing this for a while.

The process requires dynamic adjustment of the ABR in the player or the ability to rewrite a manifest based on other users' player telemetry.

This is not new technology or a "massive game changer".

Netflix just has a better PR team.

12. Jim84

320 x 640 for Australia!

That is all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like