back to article VMware backs out of Virtustream business

In a curt statement to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) 8K filing today, VMware killed the Virtustream venture it had proposed with parent EMC. The statement, by VMware CFO, COO, and EVP Jonathan Chadwick, said "VMware announced that it will not be participating in the formation of the Virtustream Cloud Services …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop?

I'm not sure how they think this is going to stop the fall. The fall isn't a result of their comedic attempts at embracing the cloud. The fall is a direct result of Dell acquiring their parent company (ya, ya, spun out etc.).

Dell acquiring EMC is causing the entire world to reconsider their investments in anything EMC related. VMware just happens to be one of those things. The lack of cloud vision from VMware obviously makes things even worse for them, and pulling out of this relationship can only make things worse.

2. RonWheeler

Confused messy overpriced vBlah

Their core product (ESXi / vCenter) is a great on-site tool if at heart a little SMBishly messy.They're upscaled with a bucketload of Prittsticked-on vProducts at too much cash for a load of headaches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Confused messy overpriced vBlah

vCenter looks positively slick compared to the kludge mess of MS System Center. I don't see what you're getting at with the 'Prittsticked on' remark - They're additional, separate products, sure, but aren't nearly all management, orchestration and automation tools? I agree with the headache though, but again, so are most tools in this sector to varying extents...

1. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.

Re: Confused messy overpriced vBlah

I felt the Prittsticked comment was fairly accurate given they all seem to be aquired products that don't fit well with VCenter and hence the drive towards that dreadfull web interface to vCenter.

I do agree that MS System Centre doesn't shine either!

3. Diskcrash

A lot of people are making a lot of fairly outrageous comments about the falling price of the VMware stock price and ignoring the main reason that it is dropping. With the Dell acquisition more VMware shares will be coming on the market. More shares impacts the demand and this impacts the price.

4. Mike_in_the_house

Cloud What?

Michael Dell on the phone- I sell server and now storage, how you use them it's up to you Mr. Customer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like