back to article Libertarian hero: 'Satoshi Nakamoto', government funds, the NSA and the DHS

It's more than a little odd seeing the world hail their libertarian hero, mourn that he was "arrested for inventing Bitcoin”* (as is being claimed on Twitter), and find that he ate government money like a horse. The Register can't and won't pull out a cheque-book for the inevitable exclusive with Wright. However, we can look …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The Sprawl, Chiba City, Japan"...that's where William Gibson's Neuromancer is set to start with...is it a real place too?

I contend that he may have been reflexively lying on the form, like so many of us do, rather than actually being in Japan.

1. mrjohn

Chiba City does exist but I'm not sure a gaijin living there would call it "Chiba City", Chiba-shi is more likely. After you have been in Japan a while mixing Japanese place names with English translations starts to sound weird.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>I'm not sure a gaijin living there would call it "Chiba City",

Do you think maybe the Chinese, Filipino etc "gaijin" would have a different opinion to the European, American "gaijin" considering their bokokugo is different?

(fyi people that use the word gaijin when they should write foreigner because they are writing in English usually only know 4 or 5 words of Japanese and write blogs about how it's sooo horrible here being an English teacher.. so in the future I would avoid it)

>Chiba-shi is more likely.

Just Chiba is more likely. Unless there is a -shi and a -cho or whatever with the same name in the area most people drop those suffixes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It was mostly "The Sprawl" part that I noticed...I'm no expert but that doesn't sound very Japanese at all, even a translation. TBH -having read the book- I probably would call it Chiba City until I was corrected by disapproving locals.

2. Michael Jennings

"Chiba City", described that way and part of greater Tokyo, is a frequent location in William Gibson's Neuromancer, sequels, and connected short stories. "The Sprawl" is another frequent location in these same writings, but is a location in North America - also referred to as the "Boston Atlanta Metropolitan Axis". So "The Sprawl, Chiba City, Japan", is clearly a William Gibson reference, but an oddly anachronistic one. "Tessier-Ashpool" is a fictional Swiss-Australian family owned corporation in the same set of books, so the Gibson references are clearly fairly deliberate.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You're right, thanks for the correction...I was doing it from what passes for a memory and haven't read them in a while

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Just Chiba is more likely"

Chiba, Chiba - so good, they named it twice!

2. a_yank_lurker

Who created bitcoins is a riddle wrapped within an enigma borrowing Churchill. It is also a game that many will continue to play probably for many, many years. Unless the creator(s) come forward with unambiguous proof, it will probably be a parlor game like the real identity of Jack the Ripper with many inane theories being proposed and a few very plausible candidates being mentioned.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Unless the government happens to raid somebody and find a bunch of Wallets that contain the first several million bitcoins

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@a_yank_lurker; "Unless the creator(s) come forward with unambiguous proof, it will probably be a parlor game like the real identity of Jack the Ripper with many inane theories being proposed"

Yeah, I bet you're only saying that to discredit the truth- that Prince Albert Victor, the grandson of Queen Victoria, invented Bitcoin.

Some people might claim this highly unlikely given that he was borderline mental defective, died in 1892, and if he were alive today would be 151 years old. But that's what *they* want you to believe.

It's all a cover-up.

3. TakeTheSkyRoad

Satoshi's best course of action is to hide and stay hidden and there's an interesting read here :

http://www.coindesk.com/dangerous-satoshi-nakamoto/

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

a riddle wrapped within an enigma borrowing Churchill

Is that an enigma that is borrowing Churchill (for what purpose we can only speculate, given its enigmatic nature), or an enigma-borrowing Churchill (perhaps he wants to show it off to his friends)?

3. Nicko

They've got the wrong person...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3w027x/dr_craig_steven_wright_alleged_satoshi_by_wired/cxslii7

Nice bit of detective work... Basically, the PGP key used on the evidence emails (as used by Wired & Gizmondo) uses cipher-suites that weren't in PGP at the time the emails were supposed to have sent. Theories vary, maybe he's a time traveller, the co-creator of PGP, or both?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: They've got the wrong person...

Time travel and Japan? Sounds like an episode of "Stein's;Gate"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: They've got the wrong person...

Thanks for the bizzare mental image :

"This humble butterflylabs miner..... Is a time machine!"

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

But we can say that it's odd to find someone currently touted as some kind of libertarian hero is so fond of government and queued up for it cash on so many occasions.

Why not. People glom on things they can get. Which ain't much nowadays.

Hell, some "people" with proven track records of mass murder, antidemocratic behaviour of the worst sort, doing nothing of consequence and a strong whiff of narcissistic personality disorder have "progressive" credentials.

5. Alexander Giochalas

Neuromancer revisited

I would say that most of the information contained is fictitious, taken from Gibson's Neuromancer (and therest oof The Sprawl trilogy):

* Tessier-Ashpool is the name of the (fictional) super-rich family that owns the space station where a big part of Neuromancer takes place and also the computer that contains the AI (Wintermute).

* The Sprawl is the colloquial name for BAMA (Boston- Atlanta Metropolitan Axis), so this is at the east US coast.

* Ciba City is in Japan.

These references might reflect his real location, but they might also mean that he just really likes Neuromancer (which is obviously the case for me, since all these references immediately rang a bell).

Oohhh, where is my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7?

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge

IIRC

Chiba city is also known for its medical research centres

7. druck Silver badge
    Trollface

NSA

I'm surprised that the conspiracy nut-cases haven't come out of the woodwork to claim that the bitcoin creator was working hand in hand with NSA, and they are able de-anonomize the blockchain or some such nonsense.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Coat

Re: NSA

"the bitcoin creator was working hand in hand with NSA, and they are able de-anonomize the blockchain"

I thought everybody know that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised that the conspiracy nut-cases haven't come out of the woodwork to claim that the bitcoin creator was working hand in hand with NSA, and they are able de-anonomize the blockchain or some such nonsense.

You mean like this post I made yesterday?

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/12/09/aussie_nakamoto_named_then_raided_by_feds/#c_2719305

Even got some down-votes from the non-believers - which of course by the rules of conspiracy logic makes me even more right!

1. druck Silver badge
        Coat

Ah, I thought I thought of that myself, but I was obviously remembering your post.

8. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Coat

Change of secs

"[...] self-proclaimed security expert might be expected to know more about Opsec than listing their location on Twitter and forgetting about Google Cache."

That sounds more like an issue of Persec rather than Opsec

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Change of secs

OPSEC and PERSEC for anyone not knowing the difference.

9. Peter Simpson 1
    Holmes

Where did they find

A card punch and cards to make the title photo?

// National Museum of Computing?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"someone currently touted as some kind of libertarian hero"

But does the inventor of BitCoin (whoever they are) think of themselves that way?

11. sisk

It's worth pointing out that whoever invented BitCoin undoubtably has millions of dollars worth of the things. It need not be a libertarian anti-government type. It could just be some really smart person who realized that they stood to make a fortune if they could successfully create a new currency.

Me? Cynical? Why do you say that?

1. lorisarvendu

"It's worth pointing out that whoever invented BitCoin undoubtably has millions of dollars worth of the things. It need not be a libertarian anti-government type. It could just be some really smart person who realized that they stood to make a fortune if they could successfully create a new currency.

Me? Cynical? Why do you say that?"

Not in the slightest. It's what I've always thought. I kind of imagine the first ever operation of a BitCoin rig (well, a pretty average PC actually) with millions of the damn things being churned out every second. Now stick them in a wallet, drop onto a few forums and start getting everyone else interested and Bingo, the gravy train slowly starts to chug into life.

A decade later and either BitCoin didn't take off, and you've lost nothing, or it did and your little wallet is worth $Millions$. Never mind revolutionising internet commerce, never mind sticking it to the man, this is a fantastic money-making scheme. All you have to do is be prepared to wait out the Long Game. It's the ultimate pension.

Whoever Nakamoto is, if he* is clever enough to think up BitCoin, then it is 100% certain that this occurred to him right at the very beginning.

(*or they)

12. D Moss Esq

Bitcoin flashbacks

The punched card ... The big B ... I'm getting flashbacks ... To the old Burroughs Medium Systems operator's console, the lights on which would display a big B for Burroughs if the input-output and the CPU were optimally balanced, please see here and particularly here, 200 megabytes of head-per-track vertically mounted 1 metre diameter disk, 128 kilobytes of core memory, ... Is there a doctor in the house?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like