back to article Samsung shoves IT arm into connected cars, hires new hands

South Korean conglomerate Samsung is setting up new organisations including a car tech component team, and rejigging some of the leadership as the company prepares for winter in tech land. The annual structural re-org this time around is to “pre-emptively respond to business uncertainties”, the company stated. The fundamental …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung and software...

Our Samsung TV has the subtle and obscure bug that when selecting to fast-forward DVR playbacks, if the button is held down for more than two seconds it crashes so hard that the mains power has to be removed to reboot it. What makes the bug extra easy to find is that unless you hold down the button for the first second it doesn't even register the attempt.

On the bright side, I guess with software so crap the only way forward is up...

2. dotdavid

"An automotive components team that will initially focus on building “competencies in infotainment and autonomous driving vehicles”,"

Joy. I imagine Samsung's effort at an autonomous driving vehicle will be taking Google's reference design, bolting on a load of widgets people don't want to make it run 30% slower, rounding the corners and then neglecting maintenance and software updates for it once it has been flogged to the unsuspecting customer.

1. chr0m4t1c

Deeper joy. I imagine Samsung are doing this because Apple are rumoured to be working on the same thing and they want to get something out first.

When is Apple's car rumoured to launch? 2020? Expect Samsung's in 2019 and for it to include something technically quite impressive that makes you go "wow", but which is completely useless in the real world - like being able to unlock it by break-dancing or being able to slide your 52" living room TV into the seats to provide rear screen entertainment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like