back to article Microsoft drops internal PowerShell tests on GitHub

Microsoft has chucked some of its PowerShell team’s test code onto Github as part of an effort to open up its tests to the OSS community. The move gives PowerShell fans the chance to push the admin and automation framework using Microsoft’s own tools, in the comfort and safety of their own systems. And presumably it should …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So would it be possible?

For the bad guys can work out how to bork powershell from these tests?

Just wondering....

1. g00se

Re: So would it be possible?

Yes and it would be possible for the good guys to see how the bad guys could bork it and therefore help to harden it

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Yes and it would be possible for the good guys to see how the bad guys could bork it and therefore help to harden it"

Possibly. But, at the same time, Microsoft has turned rather deaf ears on the whole Windows 8/10 fiasco, and ignored the cries they didn't want to hear. So counting on Microsoft to actually listen to the advice from their customers is rather dicey.

2. dogged

@Steve Davies 3 -

Are you suggesting that opening the source of your code makes it insecure?

If so, how long have you been living in 1997?

(A fiver says you only think it's insecure if MS do it).

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

No I'm not suggesting that opening the code makes it insecure.

What I was asking was,

Does the availability of the TEST suite possibly make the product being tested less secure.

If you can see in detail how something is tested then it is possibly easier to break the thing.

Consider the VW Emissions scandal. The test spec is commonly available so VW were able to detect that the vehicle was being tested and ... well you know the rest.

If it can be done for cars then can it be done for a tool like Powershell? (or any tool for that matter)

I think you owe me a fiver...

1. dogged

Bugger :)

And no, in this case it won't matter. These are the unit tests, not the automated or user tests. All they do is verify that various bits of code do what they were designed to do and nothing more.

Unit tests are useful for design, for code integrity and for regression testing. They're not any form of functional test.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

From what I hear, $WE_PRINT_BANKNOTES seem to think so.

2. John 104

Um?

Am I misunderstanding something here?

"we are currently not able to take pull requests, but we do want your input."

We put our new code on Git, but you can't get it. But give us input.

1. dogged

Re: Um?

> We put our new code on Git, but you can't get it. But give us input.

Uh no. You don't use Git, do you?

More like " we put our code on new Git, you can have it, you can't check in changes to it".

1. John 104

Ah, I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification. Thought that sounded a bit weird. I've used Git in the past but it has been a long time (not a developer).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

GIT seemed to go out of its way to take existing version control terminology and then use it differently. I suspect it was on purpose. It's an awesome version control system tho ...

1. theOtherJT Silver badge
    2. John 104

Thumbs down for asking a question. Classy.

3. The Average Joe

What are they trying to prove... they are better than bash?

Well if you ask me, why dream up another shell environment when several good ones exist on UNIX already?

Why?

If you have UNIX guys they could contribute or just run code on Windows. Windows admins could get snippets from the UNIX guys. Good Windows guys could write good scripts for UNIX servers too. I guess most decisions at Microsoft are made because they cannot see the forrest for the trees...

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Meh

Re: What are they trying to prove... they are better than bash?

There's a philisofic difference between Powershell and *nix shells (eg bash).

Both shells tend to have lots of small programs that do one thing well, and to do a more complex task you'll use several programs and pass the output of one into another. The big difference is that *nix tends to pass the information as text, so if your program isn't outputting in the format you need, then it's time for some sed/awk fun. Powershell, instead, passes objects between programs ('cmdlets' in MS parlance), which means you don't need as much conversion to pass the output of one command to another.

There's also the added benefit that it's quite tightly integrated into modern Windows, especially in the Server OSs, so the modern admin can use the command line to administer Windows at least as easily as a Linux admin can.

There's an interesting talk by the guy who pushed for the inclusion of Powershell here, which explains the reasoning and philosophy behind Powershell better than I can.

tl/dr Powershell does some things in a more modern way to *nix shells which makes it more useful to Windows admins than a straight clone of bash would be.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What the world needs now

is shite more shite, It's the only thing that microsoft's just too capable of..

1. dogged

Re: What the world needs now

it's a good thing you post as AC because your apparent inability to comprehend that point of the article along with your equally apparent preference for blind prejudice over actually trying anything new means nobody in the industry would ever hire you.

I know it's not actually real, you're trying to look cool for the linux trolls and you do that by posting insults to anything that's not *nix while failing to ever add any technical content of your own. Brownshirt mentality. You'll grow out of it. Hopefully.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: What the world needs now

Poor quality trolling there.

You could have tried mentioning the lack of portability beyond Windows, or the benefits of ASCII for cross-platform use in bash, maybe even joked about csh/tch/sh/bash offering one common way of doing things.

5. nilfs2
    Joke

PowerShell fans?

Is that some kind of masochist group?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like