back to article Adobe's Flash tools now embrace HTML 5. Sadly Flash is still alive

Adobe’s long road to open standards has been freshly re-paved with an HTML5-friendly suite of tools. The firm recently announced Animate CC as its “premier” web animation tool for developing HTML5. In its previous incarnation, Animate CC had been called Flash Professional CC – being built for the firm’s once flagship, and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you trust the clowns who came up with flash to be let anywhere near HTML 5 ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Change the record

I know its the standard groupthink to knock flash, and yes it has had more than its fair share of bugs and exploits. OTOH I'd like to see you try and write a fully portable and programmable HD video codec and animation system with network support and hardware acceleration and make it bug free.

The thing that makes me really laugh however, is that the same people who are constantly kicking flash seem to believe that somehow miraculously the javascript interpreter and video codecs required for HTML5 will be exploit free. If (or when) HTML5 ever achieves the same functionality as Flash and the same ease of coding without having to serve up the standard issue rats nest of jerry rigged code and markup that is the sorry mess that we put up with in web pages today AND its not exploitable in any way then maybe I'll take notice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@boltar - Re: Change the record

You forgot to mention DRM lock up to the eyelids. Actually this is what ensured a longer life than normally deserved for Adobe Flush.

2. ThomH

@boltar Re: Change the record

I think it's more the case that: (i) Flash massively overreached on features, going a long way beyond animation and video, and managed only relatively poor hardware acceleration, especially away from Windows; and (ii) such exploits in HTML5 delivery code as will be found will likely be limited to specific combinations of browser and OS. So they'll be smaller in scope and therefore easier to avoid.

Its death is also appealing because it eliminates redundancy — why should my browser have two separate scripting engines, one for JavaScript and one for a weird proprietary off-shoot of JavaScript? — and given that all the major OS vendors (Microsoft, Apple, Google) provide a browser, it puts the people who expose the available hardware acceleration and who debug the OS under the same umbrella as some of the people responsible for an implementation the web standards. We shouldn't again go through "Apple doesn't expose the hardware acceleration" "Yes we do, you don't use it" "That's because you expose it in a stupid fashion", etc, or "A third of reported crashes on the Mac are Flash" "Oh, well, Macs must be broken then". Which are both Apple examples but, you know, cuts to the point that a centralised, single-vendor implementation of an essential standard is undesirable in a world of diverse clients.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @boltar Change the record

"A third of reported crashes on the Mac are Flash" "Oh, well, Macs must be broken then".

There is NO excuse for a browser crashing because of a screwed up flash plugin. It should be run as an entirely seperate child process in the unix fashion, not as a seperate thread in the windows fashion which can corrupt the parent thread. If a child process crashes you mop up the mess and try again, if a thread crashes it'll usually take every other thread down with it. Only piss poor programmers will use a thread instead of a process for a supposedly sandboxed plugin.

2. Shades

Short Memories

"Do you trust the clowns who came up with flash to be let anywhere near HTML 5 ?"

Adobe can be blamed for many things, but they didn't come up with Flash.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Adobe tool will barf super bloated globs of code, which architecturally make no sense. The HTML5 equivalent of MS Frontpage, I guarantee it.

2. Mark 85

Facebook and Flash

So they'll keep pushing Flash because of Facebook. Thanks for ensuring that neither will ever be on any device I own.

3. banalyzer

No, please just no

/holds head in hands and weeps

4. channel extended

html5?

what was the purpose for html5 again?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: html5?

A rich API to provide cross-platform apps in a strict sand-boxed environment, to compete with proprietary native apps.

5. Michael Habel

Flash is more then just ads ya know.

So how is this gonna pan out for those that use Flash for animation? Since a lot of western Anime relies on Flash, as a creative tool.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Flash is more then just ads ya know.

I would think that they'd just use standard animation software to make their cartoons like a real animator would.

Using something like Flash for animation is like trying to nail two boards together by setting a nail on the floor point-up and then slamming the two pieces of wood down on to it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sophos

In related news, I noticed that Sophos' nakedsecurity blog has started asking to use Flash.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Facebook No Flash - Problem solved (until the next one)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who remembers Flash-only sites?

The was a fad of boutique design companies producing an entire site in Flash.

I'm glad we don't get those anymore.

(to be fair, HTML was shit in those days - before IE6)

9. HAL-9000
    Flame

Mutually exlusive

You say "Adobe is also doing its best to ensure the continued use of Flash on the new web. Flash dominated on PCs as a medium for serving media and ads."

They say Even Adobe is nudging customers away from Flash, renaming its most-recent version of Flash Tools "Animator" and encouraging a move over to HTML5. ®

Who's right, I wished flash would just curl up and die either way

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like