back to article Mozilla bins 'Tiles' ads plan in Firefox

The Mozilla Foundation's decided not to pursue advertising sales in its Firefox browser after all. Mozilla floated the idea of ads in Firefox back in early 2014, when it imagined “sponsored Tiles” would appear when you open a new tab in the browser. By May of the same year, the organisation admitted that idea had gone down …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Death notice alright...

But I would rather call it a "Death Note".

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1535/Death_Note

2. Turtle

As If...

"Mozilla bins 'Tiles' ads plan in Firefox"

As if these fuckers don't make enough money as it is.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: As if these fuckers don't make enough money as it is.

That is why they were looking at advertising, yes. How much do you think Mozilla makes giving away it's browser?

1. Turtle

@sabroni Re: As if these fuckers don't make enough money as it is.

In 2010, Mozilla's income was $123 million and in 2012 it was $163.5 million. (cf. Wikipedia). Then a billion dollars over three years (2012-2014) from Google for making Google the default search engine. That's a lot of money. I'm not sure how much they're getting from Yahoo but be sure that it's not peanuts.

But you can continue to think that they're living a hand-to-mouth existence, no matter how far from reality such quaint and naive notions actually are.

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Happy

Re: But you can continue to think that they're living a hand-to-mouth existence

That is exactly what I believe!! Are you psychic?

3. John Tserkezis

"Mozilla will continue to explore ways to bring a better balance to the advertising ecosystem for everyone’s benefit, and to build successful products that respect user privacy and deliver experiences based upon transparency, choice and control."

And not pissing people off would be pretty much near the top of the list too.

4. Captain DaFt

Remember when?

Once the Mozilla Foundation was trying to create a modern version of the Netscape suite. Then a side project consisting of just the browser took off in popularity, became the main focus, and the suite was sidelined. Now:

The full suite, Current version - SeaMonkey 2.39 - 38 MB

Just the browser, Current version - Firefox 42.0 - 48.6 MB

Just... WTF are they doing with Firefox?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remember when?

That's how big modern browsers are.

Because of course they're not just browsers, but app platforms with 2D/webGL/vector graphics, video, sockets, database, JavaScript worker threads, real-time audio channel mixing, animation timing framework, flexbox layout, drag/drop/touchscreen, crypto, etc. Web specs are still rapidly evolving, and a relatively recent addition ServiceWorker is amazing because it allows advanced caching for an "offline first experience".

Now you can argue that this is terrible because you just want to view HTML + Images. There are one or two minimalist "browsers" such as Dillo which clock in around 1MB.

But I like the modern stuff. And I like developing on an open platform, because the alternative is Apple or Google's walled gardens.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

SeaMonkey can do everything Firefox can do apart from stuff like Pocket and Hello, it uses the same rendering engine.

But Firefox/Gecko is bloating once again after previously going on a diet. In my Dad's case, around version 30 it managed run on an XP machine with 768MB, now on version 42 it brings the same machine to its knees. Chrome out of all things works better than FF.

Yeah, I know, Mint. It's a step too far for him though.

2. Captain DaFt

Um, SeaMonkey is a modern browser, with all the useful parts of Firefox, fully updated and patched, and compatible with most Firefox Add-ons. Current SeaMonkey is equivalent to current Firefox in features.

Well, actually better, IMHO.

2. JLV

Priorities...

FF on my HD - 182 MB. Personally, no huge problem with that (makes more sense than my 250 MB of HP printer drivers - 10 years ago - last HP printer I ever bought).

FF in my RAM, 2 tabs open - 1.53 GB. That's the bloatware bit.

5. MacNews

Thunderbird: Separate but equal

Not even close...

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Nice to see that Tiles are not the answer

to life, the universe and everything.

I wonder if other fans of tiled interfaces will take note?

Nah, all I hear is tumbleweed blowing in the wind.

1. AndyS

Re: Nice to see that Tiles are not the answer

They're not abandoning tiles. They're just not going to throw in unrelated ones with adverts in them any more.

I wonder if other fans of commenting without RingTFA will take note?

Nah, all I hear is tumbleweed blowing in the wind.

7. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

The money...

I've just had a quick look at Mozilla's last financial report. We all know they received $323M from the purple palace (et al), but how did they spend some of this money? Let's see:

* $200 Million on "Software Development".

* Branding and Marketing: $40Million.

* Administration: $38 Million.

Now I know that good programmers aren't cheap, but $200 Million in one year? And what is that $40Million in marketing being spent on?

My theory: They got so much money from their first Google contract that they just didn't know what to do with it and are just frittering it away on pointless projects. (FirefoxOS)

Isn't there some theory that when a company makes too much profit it will inevitably crash and burn as it gets lazy, arrogant and looses sight of what got it that money in the first place?

1. getHandle

Re: The money...

Hipster offices, free food and drink, and mac books all round doesn't come cheap you know!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"$200 million on development"

I don't know how it works in America, but there must be some sort of fraud going on. No browser in the world costs that much to develop per year. I think it's time to put pressure on Mozilla to fess up to what they're actually doing. If they do spend that on development then the devs either need a serious pay cut or be shown the door. Firefox is bloated, slow and shite.

They need to sort this crap out. Now.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

$200M

I tried to do some estimating.

Programmers in the USA seem to get a mean of under $100K; the median in 2013 was $76k (Min seemed to be about 70, high was about 125)

So, $200M/100000 equates to at least 2000 programmers or equivalent jobs in the development team. On costs may eat into that, of course so the team may be only 1800, including administrative staff, bean counters and so on.

I'm not a developer, so I don't know - but a 1500 to 2000 seems a rather big development staff team for developing a browser, especially one that is already up and working.

It's starting to sound like the world's biggest lightbulb joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not up and working. Firefox and Chrome are going flat out to implement entirely new HTML5 specs, but Firefox also has a technical debt to pay by replacing the decade old XUL legacy architecture.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

So, $200M/100000 equates to at least 2000 programmers or equivalent jobs in the development team

Not really. Employee costs are, dependent upon country, twice their nominal salary due to contributions to healthcare, pensions, social security, etc. Buildings and capital expenditure will also be not negligible.

I'm not suggesting that Mozilla doesn't have a bloated development budget: things like Firefox OS will certainly have sucked up all kinds of resources. But accounting for these things is not as we sometimes think.

2. Turtle

@wolfetone Re: "$200 million on development"

"$200 million on development"

I'm not sure which is more egregious: The Firefox money-pit, or Wikipedia, which collects $20 million per year (if I correctly recall) to run a site which costs $2 million to operate (and I believe that that's pretty accurate).

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: @wolfetone "$200 million on development"

"I'm not sure which is more egregious: The Firefox money-pit, or Wikipedia, which collects $20 million per year (if I correctly recall) to run a site which costs $2 million to operate (and I believe that that's pretty accurate)."

True, but Wikipedia isn't a bloated mess of a browser.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: @wolfetone "$200 million on development"

...and FF doesn't cover the top of the screen with a begging letter.

(I'll stick with PaleMoon though).

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Now I know that good programmers aren't cheap, but $200 Million in one year? And what is that $40Million in marketing being spent on?"

And the $38m on admin? Spent on making dubious decisions such as advertising tiles?

3. andrewj

Deja vu

https://www.jwz.org/gruntle/nomo.html

8. Doctor Evil

Is it still a visit if you never leave again?

"Mozilla may, El Reg imagines, need to revisit ads sooner rather than later if the Purple Palace starts to putrify."

And that, Dr. Evil imagines, will rather quickly be the end of Firefox and the Mozilla Foundation.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

“Advertising in Firefox could be a great business, but it isn’t the right business for us at this time because we want to focus on core experiences for our users.”

Translation 1: It seemed as good idea at the time.

Translation 2: Another fine mess.

1. Turtle

@Doctor Syntax

“Advertising in Firefox could be a great business, but it isn’t the right business for us at this time because we want to focus on core experiences for our users.”

A corollary to the quoted statement would be "it will be the right business for us at another time*".

* ... and "another time" translates to "as soon as we can manage it"

10. Charlie Clark Silver badge

"focus on content discovery"

Oh, like Opera is trying with the pointless "Discover" feature. Like Taboola but built into the browser? Why not just go the whole hog? But then just concentrate on salacious, celebrity clickbait.

11. MrWibble

Kudos to them for "performing a U turn" as it's know in politics.

I prefer to read it as "we tried something, it didn't work, so we'll stop doing it".

1. DJV Silver badge

Unfortunately...

...that hasn't worked for the normal UI. They keep trying to move things around, bolt on unwanted extras and remove useful stuff. Thank goodness for things like Classic Theme Restorer - without that, I would have abandoned Firefox a long time ago.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The final straw with online advertising for me was when a full blown British Gas video with sound started playing on my mobile browser. I'd always tried to support the websites I frequently visit up until that point by not having an ad-blocker installed. Now I block everything. I don't like doing it but until websites start being sensible about displaying ads that non-intrusive, non-tracking and stop using plugins that are full of security holes (I'm looking at you Flash!), they aren't getting anything out of me.

13. captain veg Silver badge

Fork off

There's just one tiny problem with trying to shovel advertising into an open-source browser. Someone else can take the code and compile it without the crap. Fireforks, anyone?

-A.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Fork off

Pale Moon?

14. PAT MCCLUNG

Look,

In order to take back the Internet, the World has to revert from an "advertising based revenue model" to a "service based" model. That means, you and I are going to have to fork over to Moizilla $10 bucks or so annually to surf on their browser. Not willing to do that? Then realize the implications.

And if Firefox loses half their base by charging $10. I say, good riddance to these folks.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

@Pat McClung

I'll pay for software. A reasonable cost.

I'll be damned if I'll rent it though.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Turtle

@Terry 6 re "Reasonable Cost".

"I'll pay for software. A reasonable cost. I'll be damned if I'll rent it though."

"Software as a service" and "DLC" - two of the biggest blights of current computing. But then, how could I neglect to mention "in-app purchases" and "any advertising on my computer screen"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like