back to article Goodbye, Hello Barbie: Wireless toy dogged by POODLE SSL hole

Mattel's Hello Barbie doll, the Wi-Fi-equipped playmate that talks to its owner and reports back on the conversations to mummy and daddy, has more security problems than first thought – this time on the software side. Last week security researcher Matt Jakubowski found that it was relatively easy to purloin wireless network …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Never knew...

Barbie came with a free poodle...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Never knew...

It was Ken's poodle…

2. TRT Silver badge

I think it's a great step...

in the advancement of gender equality that there's now an espionage Barbie. The last spy Barbie I can remember must have been... *thinks* ... Barbara Windsor in Carry On Spying.

1. dotdavid

Re: I think it's a great step...

A shame then that Espionage Barbie is particularly incompetent, blabbing all her secrets to the hackers :-(

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

No doubt CGHQ (and NSA etc.) will be monitoring the conversations as well. Or getting Barbie to ask the kids about mommy and daddy's political stances etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Come on Barbie, let's go Stasi !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Come on Barbie, let's go Stasi!"

Brilliant! The quote of the decade... (captures all our privacy woes perfectly)...

Whether its Win10 'spyware as a service', Xbox-one's desire for total control... Smart TV's spilling out ads during movies or like smartphones, phoning home with all the data they can hoover up, just to make data slaves of us all ... IOT / CloudFog downtime / hype / data ransoming etc..

Every corporation assumes they have a god-given fatwa-like right to perform holy-jihad on our data... All because, they want to 'connect the planet' for their sweet 'daughter max' so she can get a 'Double Irish' tax write-off!

Competing for $200m in commercial foreign contracts? Come right in, we have the perfect tool for 'the elite', designed for economic espionage against lesser countries, people, organizations and to quell dissent. Meanwhile, self-righteous deluded governments preach 'save the children, help us catch T's'...

Feed the Hackers, they're the ones who are really gaining from all of this! They silently watch as we buy into the rhetoric of our corporate and governmental masters and lock every-barn-door-wide-open. They must be laughing their a$$es off as we robotically feed the data monster and hang ourselves!

When TV programs like 'The 80's' / 'The 90's' etc get made for this era, will they show the naivety of those in power, or the data exploitation by those who really knew this was about 'Manufacturing-consent' for our personal info & freedom?

Sleep-walking to the mother all of privacy meltdowns or the looming privacy apocalypse... Nothing sums it up better than that sweet little line above..

4. tentimes

Hello Barbie - Let's go party!

*in the voice of Chicken man from X-Factor*

5. Dr. Mouse

So Barbie has been subjected to penetration testing, and the probe has discovered several holes!

Fnar Fnar!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

I'm betting that Ken, her developer, has never seen those holes :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ken may not have seen THOSE holes......

but his has been penetrated just the same

6. Hollerith 1

I am despressed

It is possible for children to have privacy and to be able to use their imaginations, supplying their toys with voices and having a cheerful conversation. It' one way children expand how they understand points of view and creativity and all that brain-expanding stuff.

Now we strap them in push chairs and feel responses to their dolls and turn them into passive consumers of technology.

I know this point has been made before, but still.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am despressed

I agree, even though I would never buy such a toy you have to wonder who chooses the responses? Maybe they agree with my parenting but maybe they don't.

Example questions.

Who is god?

Where do babies come from?

Does the light in the fridge go out when I shut the door?

If I say this statement is false have I created a paradox?

2. Mage Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Could be worse. Vtech might bring out a doll. Maybe Facebook (Daddy loves Max?) or even Google. I can't quite imagine Apple (too cheap a market*) or Microsoft (Windows monicker seems hard to apply).

Is the Sindy name available to buy?

[*I think these sell for US$75, they aren't listed here yet]

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

"is the Sindy name available..."

No. No it's not. http://www.sindy.com/

7. Pen-y-gors
    Childcatcher

Could be worse...

at least she hasn't got a web-cam in her head.

...or has she????

1. Steven Roper

Re: Could be worse...

If not it's only a matter of time.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Toys like this are necessary for today's kids...

All part of the "My first identity theft" package :)

9. Vector

IOT Toys a bad idea?

Whodathunkit!

10. graeme leggett Silver badge

action man

Bring him back and make him IoT connected.

A few software flaws and perhaps he really could call in an airstrike....

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

Wifi Barbie eh?

Will her country camper be upgraded to a blacked-out surveillance van?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like