back to article Police seek two for C&W network robbery

Hertfordshire Police are searching for two men suspected of involvement in last week's robbery from a network centre in Watford. Thieves took equipment from a Cable & Wireless network site in Watford forcing FT.com, the Ordnance Survey and Sainsburys.com offline for most of the day. Herts Police sent us the following: "POLICE …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Who owned the kit anyway?

Perhaps it was a pre-2002 Energis shareholder taking back what's rightfully theirs (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/16/cw_energis_deal/)

There's robbery, and there's robbery

2. Frank
    Happy

Software Specification

"Police would not specify what kind of software was stolen."

If they won't say what software was stolen, how can I recognise it if I see it on offer at a car boot sale?

Anyway, the thieves will probably break it up for scrap. I hear you can get 2p/MB for scrap software nowadays, It's all to do with the EC recycling directive.

3. Chris J
    Thumb Down

I know a man who fits that description perfectly...

He's a white man with short brown hair, between the ages of 20 and 30, wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt.

I saw him in the mirror recently.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Description of suspect

"One suspect is described as a white man with short brown hair and aged 20 to 30 years old. He was wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans."

PFY?

5. this

Suspect

...One suspect is described as a white man with short brown hair and aged 20 to 30 years old. He was wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans...

Should be pretty easy to find, then.

6. Mark

Bright

Hmm, burgling premises at night wearing a white tee-shirt.

7. William Morton

I know who did it

Kent Ertegrul infamous data thief, though he looks older that thirty to me

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

As someone who used to work in that area...

... the chances of there being any eyewitnesses are fairly slim.

Holly Park (although probably modernised since I was last down there) used to be a little collection of offices and warehouses tucked away in the middle of a larger industrial estate. The only IR-enabled camera that covered the area (back then) was on the side of an AT&T warehouse up the road.... and the entire area was totally dead after 8pm, let alone 2am.

What raises thoughts, is how these people knew that this was a C&W datacentre transit hub... Do they have a big sign on the wall saying "Lots of expensive equipment within - do not commit break & enter / theft here *please*" ??

I smell an 'inside job' here...

9. Dz

It's the software

... that makes me a little suspicious, combined with the kit it could be law enforcment type software and routers for traffic snooping & data recording! Just a thought, but could be possible!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

It was not just the FT and Sainsbury websites that were affected...

...a rather large government department had their Online Vehicle Registration system rendered unavailable due to this incident...

11. Danger Mouse
    Happy

Gargon

"It looks as though the offenders were disturbed as some computer towers were left by exit doors"

"computer towers", very 1990s'. I wonder how many 'Base Unit's' & VDU's white van man got away with.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title not neccessary!

"One or more offenders broke into the building..." Presumably because its easier to break in somewhere if there is more than no people attempting it!

@Chris J: Do you have a black leather jacket and a comb permanently in the back pocket of your jeans too? :-P

13. Dave
    Paris Hilton

This title intentionally left blank.

"they took computer software and routers"

That was carefully worded - nice to see that the copper was aware that the software could not possibly be stolen, as it always remains the property of Microsoft (except for the times when they want to work things the other way.)

Anyway, how exactly does this affect PH? Was her website affected?

14. William Old
    Flame

Not a robbery...

... because, ermmm, it wasn't. S.8(1) Theft Act 1968...

Robbery.— (1) A person is guilty of robbery if he steals, and immediately before or at the time of doing so, and in order to do so, he uses force on any person or puts or seeks to put any person in fear of being then and there subjected to force.

There was no-one in the building when they *burgled* it. S.9 Theft Act 1968...

Burglary.— (1) A person is guilty of burglary if —

(a) he enters any building or part of a building as a trespasser and with intent to commit any such offence as is mentioned in subsection (2) below; or

(b) having entered any building or part of a building as a trespasser he steals or attempts to steal anything in the building or that part of it or inflicts or attempts to inflict on any person therein any grievous bodily harm.

(2) The offences referred to in subsection (1)(a) above are offences of stealing anything in the building or part of a building in question, of inflicting on any person therein any grievous bodily harm therein, and of doing unlawful damage to the building or anything therein.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thats what you get from.......

Allowing loads of immigrants in and telling them they cannot have any money to live. What do you think they are going to do to live when they are'nt allowed to work and dont get benefits ?. Down in our town someone stole all the copper cables from BT and put 500 plus people off line for weeks still.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could you keep a straight face...

calling the number for PC Quack, sorry, Cluck, Chirp I mean Goble Goble, oops sorry never mind!

AC because I don't need a PC comming after me for not being PC.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@That's what you get from...

"Allowing loads of immigrants in and telling them they cannot have any money to live. What do you think they are going to do to live when they are'nt allowed to work and dont get benefits ?"

I dunno, go back home? We need a new de-motivator poster: "If we keep abusing them, will they stop coming into our country illegally?"

Even Paris doesn't expect hand-outs.

18. Danny Thompson
    Paris Hilton

Police seek two for C&W network robbery

I'm sorry, I read that as the Police had an intention to rob C&W and were looking for two people to help them with it!

Funny how the brain works on a Friday morning .....

Paris - because she's always seeking two men (but where's the gifs, jpgs and mpgs of that then?).

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Best use of hardware...

“It looks as though the offenders were disturbed as some computer towers were left by exit doors."

I think they just figured out the best use of Dell servers.

PH, because even she could have to you so.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like