back to article Google fends off EFF's claims kids probed by Chromebook software

Google has fired back at allegations that Chromebooks running its education software spy on children in classrooms and push adverts. "Our goal is to ensure teachers and students everywhere have access to powerful, affordable, and easy-to-use tools for teaching, learning, and working together," said Jonathan Rochelle, director …

1. John Lilburne

How many times have Google ...

... been discovered lying their ass off?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How many times have Google ...

You tell us. Nothing springs to mind. Google are far better than Microsoft and apple when it comes to bring upfront about things

2. BillG
      FAIL

Re: How many times have Google ...

Google always, always, always has a well-prepared excuse when they are caught.

The proper answer to Google's excuse here is that children's privacy is more precious than search results.

2. Dadmin
    Mushroom

IDK, how many? Was that a rhetorical question? Is this one?

I have bigger fish to fry; so many systems using SELinux, but it was co-written by the NSA. So, does that leave me with my zero days around my ankles? (a rhetorical question)

3. Neoc
    Joke

Ah... the GAFE gaffe.

4. Steven Roper

"Our goal is to ensure teachers and students everywhere have access to powerful, affordable, and easy-to-use tools for teaching, learning, and working together," said Jonathan Rochelle

And you're doing all this out of sheer altruistic love for humanity and the goodness of your hearts of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On the one hand we have EFF talking head Nate Cardozo...

On the other hand we have the word of Google talking head Jonathan Rochelle that they're not harvesting the data which is most definitely being sent to their servers in the likely event that nobody bothers to change the defaults.

<tinfoil hat> Also, he didn't say Google isn't funneling all the data to the NSA. And if they are, he'd be in Gitmo if he said they're not. I wouldn't put it past 'em.

1. DryBones

Erm... You kind of have to send the data to Google. That's what's called a cloud service. That's what lets you access it from anywhere. That's what ChromeOS IS.

So... EFF discovers that cloud storage takes place in the cloud? Next week, they find their ass with both hands? Shee.

2. RyokuMas
      Devil

It's the bit that's missing...

"Our goal is to ensure teachers and students everywhere have access to powerful, affordable, and easy-to-use tools for teaching, learning, and working together,"

"... and grow up largely ignorant to anything other than Google's software, thus forcing enterprise to adopt our systems and pushing our competitors out of the market."

Not the first, won't be the last...

5. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Happy

"There's no behavioral analysis, and no data on specific individuals is collected."

And if individual data was actually somehow collected Google can always point the finger at a rogue coder.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Individual data is collected, Google never said it wasn't. They are just explaining how they use/process it.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

...actually two rogue coders...

6. Whitter
    Unhappy

Private data == bolted horse

What the data is currently used for does not guarantee what it may be used for later.

7. Someone Else Silver badge

I got this bridge, here...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like