back to article Ponmocup is the '15 million' machine botnet you've never heard of

One of the world's most successful, oldest, and largest botnets is an underestimated and largely-unknown threat that has over time infected 15 million machines and made millions plundering bank accounts. The findings from a team of eight Fox IT researchers say the 'Ponmocup' botnet controlled 2.4 million infections at its peak …

1. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Care, consistency and quality at every stage, just how software development should be...shame some of the most expensive software we pay tons for, isn't maintained with quite the same attention to detail!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Indeed, that such expertise be used to develop scumware is a waste for the rest of the world.

Brilliant, dedicated people in service of evil, and apathetic, ignorant bumblers in service of our governments.

If only there were a way to switch that . . .

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

VTBO

Vote The Bastards Out

1. Captain DaFt

Re: VTBO

"Vote The Bastards Out"

Unfortunately, the bastards have set it up so that as you vote one out, you automatically vote another in.

What we need is a "none of the above option" on ballots.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

@Pascal Monett

I think profit sharing would be an incentive for the "good guy" devs.... Instead of CXX officers getting the lions share of the income. I'm guessing that the guys writing and maintaining this bot are making slightly more dosh than you or me...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting...

The mention of windows is hidden right near the bottom.

If this had affected android, it would have been in the title and plastered into every other line...

Funny ol world..... Ever get the feeling you are being manipulated????

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting...

Perhaps you missed the part about how prevalent it was back in 2011. Perhaps you missed the 10 years experience or that people often stick with platforms they know when they can.

Then again, maybe you forget that Android hasn't actually been around that long. Some of us even remember a time when people didn't habitually carry cell phones, let alone spend all day fondling their "smart" googlecrap (or applecrap, let's face it, few willingly carry blackberry anything aside from the priv anymore).

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: Interesting...

> Perhaps you missed the ...

... fact that the post was about how eagerly some articles pick out android as the root of the world's evils, not about the malware itself.

3. koolholio

4000 is nothing

4000 doesn't seem a lot in the general scheme of things, with some techniques reaching into the plausible millions of variants... *cough* amatuers

4. Tezfair
    Facepalm

wow

imagine my ranking on seti if I had that many machine under my control. Ah the good old days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like