back to article Part of the world's IT brought down by Azure Active Directory issue

Alas, poor Redmond has acknowledged the Azure Active Directory is "having issues" alongside the disappearance of its Office 365 service in the UK and Europe. Microsoft's Office 365 service went down earlier this morning, and Microsoft has now copped to an issue affecting Azure Active Directory. Azure's status page reveals: …

1. hplasm
    Boffin

Remedy.

React!

Actively deactivate the inactive Active Directory and activate the inactive active Active Directory retroactively.

Crossfingers and reboot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remedy.

Useless Activism. You need to fire up the RADIOACTIVE Directory.

1. hplasm
        Happy

" You need to fire up the RADIOACTIVE Directory."

Only for WiFi...

1. ChrispyCurls

Wonder if they have fairy lights on?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Make it reach the right critical mass, have it react, and you will get a really giant, mushroom shaped, cloud... and, believe me, customers will stop complaining...

2. DaLo

"...and are developing a mitigation strategy"

Usually you would expect that step to be taken before the service is made available to paying customers, or is that just "old skool"?

1. caffeine addict

Since it's all online and cloudy, I presumed it's still in Beta...

3. Aqua Marina

"...and are developing a mitigation strategy"

I read that as "...and are developing a migration strategy".

It made more sense :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More like a migraine strategy

1. Chemist

"More like a migraine strategy"

I vote for 'micturition-about' strategy

4. dcluley

In-house solution

This seems a good argument for not relying on outside storage and for producing in-house solutions.

1. Michael B.

Re: In-house solution

Azure goes down a lot less than in-house Directory services I've seen in the past with much much shorter times to recovery. The downside is that you don't get the sense that anybody is working on the problem though constantly calling the IT team for a status update tends to get things fixed much slower.

1. Lee D Silver badge

1) That's what DND functions on telephones are for.

2) That's what junior techs are for (literally: Stand there, touch nothing, tell people to go away).

3) In-house stuff is under your control. You can spin up "something" quite quickly, even if it's just rolling back to a snapshot or similar. Azure, you are at their mercy.

I'm assuming (not really looked into it as my place won't touch cloud things) that you can have in-house AD talking to Azure AD and vice-versa, like any other directory, no? If not, I don't understand why you'd touch it. But Azure going down in that case could still cause problems with remote-workers and other services, I imagine.

Redundancy, people. Cloud is fine. But what's your backup? If you can't answer that satisfactorily, you have to think if you're doing your job properly. We still don't live in an age where people can't put diggers through fibre lines.

2. Lou 2
        Boffin

Can I suggest you read the BOFH blogs?

The speed at which your problems are fixed is the logarithmic inverse of the number of times you call to enquire when it will be fixed.

In other words - DON"T CALL THE HELPDESK! EVER!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tell that to parts of the NHS who are looking to move onto Office 365..

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Angel

Look mummy

there's no Active Directory up in the sky...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Them coulds is rain clouds

above ^

7. Brian T

False advertising

Clearly it is Office 364.

1. Huw D

Re: False advertising

Next year's a leap year, so if they achieve 100% uptime, it'll balance out

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: False advertising

agree, but I think we as a voting public need to count all of the Azure outages for the whole year. We are in December already, who has the tally for Azure days off? Surely we are at 35x no?

8. caffeine addict

It's a good job we haven't just moved over to Office 365 because it's cheaper and more stable than running our own stuff. /sarcasm

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly it is Office 364

or 364.5 so far, not 364 until 9am tomorrow

1. David Lewis 2

Only if the previous outage was more than 365 days ago. Anyone know?

1. Vince

Wishful thinking that it would be a year. It wasn't.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It was less that 365 days ago. I'll be amazed if its more than 365 days until the next one.

10. alpine

Rubbish

Active Directory has always been rubbish under the covers, since its first incarnation limped out of the starting blocks. Nothing's changed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rubbish

"Active Directory has always been rubbish under the covers"

Active Directory has for at least for the last decade been a great and very stable product that just works, and scales to hundreds of thousands of users. Don't confuse a cloud outage with reality.

11. Leeroy

Related issue

They had a small issue with mail sent from their servers having the sent from address as user@on.Microsoft.realdomain.com

I think it was related to active directory sync with azure but seemed to sort itself out.

We don't use the cloud so the only complaints I had were from my users getting NDR's for non existent address's

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't confuse Active Directory with Azure Active Directory, which have nothing in common apart from the similar names.

For example, Azure AD has only very recently gained the ability to function as a Windows domain controller: this feature is now in "technical preview".

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ad/archive/2015/10/14/azure-ad-domain-services-is-now-in-public-preview-use-azure-ad-as-a-cloud-based-domain-controller.aspx

13. thedroog

I would not trust MS to baby sit my dog let alone trust them with my infrastructure, vaporware for idiots

14. Paul Woodhouse

shudda used a Zentyal BDC....

15. nilfs2
    Facepalm

lol @ Azure AD

That's just a service to take customers hostages, why not just use a cloud VM as an AD server?

1. TheVogon

Re: lol @ Azure AD

"That's just a service to take customers hostages,"

No, it isn't. You sync it with your on premise AD.

"why not just use a cloud VM as an AD server?"

You can if you want to.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Today was a good day for planning mass-casualty events

OMG how will GCHQ/NSA now slurp the data they've missed from MSFT servers?

17. Lou 2
    Childcatcher

YOLO!

Meanwhile in Redmond the Christmas party is in full swing, all the executives dressed as Santa, the PA's dressed in cute costumes and even the servs dressed as elves, allowed out of the dark dungeons are allowed to partake in a little bit of mulled wine.

Oh wait, the real fun is about to start - somebody just took out a violin.

18. Lou 2
    Alert

Be prepared to be assimilated!

Such fun

My application servers are running on Amazon, my database in Azure, my directory services on Microsoft, my Network is outsourced, System Integrators from Asia are developing my apps and I use service providers to deliver the in house services. All my users are using Windows365, (except for the ones on Google and its Drive), using mobiles supported by three different comms companies.

- my JIT suppliers have executed a similarly brilliant IT strategy

- - their JIT suppliers have executed a similarly brilliant IT strategy

- - - their JIT suppliers have executed a similarly brilliant IT strategy

- - - - recurring

And you wonder why we do not sleep at night!!!! <swallow some more sleeping pills with energy drinks>

19. FozzyBear
    Happy

went down earlier this morning

You know every other website that I read this phrase on it always has a happy ending. Alas, on the El Reg or when IT related is always ends in frustration, tears and crying that you cant finish the job

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too Soon To Panic

Talking to each other, and it hasn't been down for even a day?

Calm down. Save the drastic measures for when they're needed.

I still keep the spear and loin cloth from my Y2K Preparation kit in the office.

Ready to go feral and hunt my co-workers for food at a moment's notice.

21. Steve K

Same again today - 18/12/15 - UK

Same again today - 18/12/15 - UK @10:50 GMT

Main status page carries no details still.... Detailed status pane hangs...

Arsebucket -@#!!

Steve

1. Steve K

Re: Same again today - 18/12/15 - UK

Back now - 18/12/15 -@ 11:30 GMT

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like