back to article Sketch dev pulls out of Mac App Store, cites slow reviews, tech limitations

Bohemian Coding, developer of the well-regarded Sketch application for the Mac, is pulling out of the Mac App Store, citing several annoyances and limitations. "App Review continues to take at least a week, there are technical limitations imposed by the Mac App Store guidelines (sandboxing and so on) that limit some of the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"App Review continues to take at least a week"

> "App Review continues to take at least a week"

While I have some sympathy, if Apple didn't do this someone is bound to be dumb enough to connect his nightly build system to the store upload and swamp Apple with each little change.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: "App Review continues to take at least a week"

Apple could easily rate-limit developer submissions to prevent such abuses. Spending a week to review a minor code change to an established application is ridiculous.

However, the bigger problem is upgrade pricing, I'd imagine. This is the big flaw in the "app" model from a developer's side of the deal: once a customer buys your app, they must get every new feature for free. Those features, unfortunately, do not cost nothing to implement.

As an example: if an iPhone user bought a utility app like PCalc (Hi James!) back in 2008, they still have it now, for free, on their shiny new Apple Watch and iPhone 6s. Seven years of a developer's time means the current one is far more useful than the original, but the user has had all of that for free.

That's just about manageable for an "indie" developer with low overheads, but if you're a larger company, with premises, staff, and customer support costs, you cannot operate on a model that prohibits you from recouping your product improvement investments.

1. joed

So? Just release app vN+1 and charge for it - make dev and Apple happy while letting the user continue with the old one as long as the iOS supported it (not fair either). It's often the case that it's not users that ask for new features but devs and platform owners that force these upon them (should I also add that often not for better?).

Sorry, but I had to add from user point of view to keep it fair and balanced.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

You usually want to sell to existing customers for less than for new installations, and the App Store doesn't allow for that.

1. foxyshadis

The only way I know of to do upgrade pricing on the Apple App Stores is by selling redemption codes on your own storefront, which is exactly the opposite of the friction-free experience the App Store is supposed to be all about. Really sucks for developers who want some income while being fair to customers, without going all the way into a subscription model.

2. big_D Silver badge

@joed and how do you give owners of the old version preferential upgrade prices?

The App store is just not set up to cope with the idea of paid apps needing versioning and upgrade pricing.

2. big_D Silver badge

On the other hand, if there is a serious bug that means users can't work, waiting for the fix to be programmed and tested, then a further week for it to be reviewed at Apple's leisure is unacceptable.

For serious problems, especially security problems, there needs to be a fast-track method of pushing out updates. Unfortunately, at the current time, that means you can't use an app store and you have to run your own sales and support infrastructure.

2. Bill Fresher

The mac app store is rubbish.

I bought an app for £1.49 from there which didn't work. I contacted Apple for a refund and they said to contact the developer - problem is the developer's link is also broken!!

I reported the broken app March 2015. Since then a number of other users have also posted app not working reviews and last month people were still getting caught out. As of today it's still there.

Where's the quality control?

1. RIBrsiq
      Trollface

Apple's cut of the money was of supreme quality, and is totally under control!

2. td97402

I got my refund

I had exactly the same experience with a Mac program that I bought from Apple's App Store. It didn't work right and the developer's web site was permanently offline. I persisted with Apple customer service (one additional email) and got my $8 back.

3. dogged

Argh!

Billy Joel? Seriously?

You bastards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Argh!

You may be right.

1. Darryl

They didn't start the fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's a matter of trust.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    FAIL

I like gardens

Just not gardens with 6 walls.... I never put apps that I have to pay for on my only iOS device(supplied by my employer) I really shudder when I think about the App store...

1. joed

Re: I like gardens

I do paid apps (judiciously), as long as paid with gifted gift cards;)

Despise the idea of walled garden though and I will never consider any limited platform as inherently more trusted, especially if all my data can only be synced through someone's "cloud".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are also issues with merging and changing accounts. I lost my existing app store account because apple invalidated the password. However, I am unable to download apps I had previously purchased with my new account - even if I try to pay for them again. The system shows them as installed with my old account and whenever I remove them they get re-installed but still tied to the old account.

Their user management is poor and makes for major issues with shared devices, corporate devices, etc etc. It's not a difficlult problem to solve, but apple just has not put resources towards it.

I'm a happy user of apple products and OS, but iTunes, and the App store are a poor excuse for software - shitty and buggy.

6. Mike Bell

On the plus side...

The user doesn't have to fanny about with licensing issues each time he gets or upgrades a new device.

The sandboxing is there for a reason. It might not be the be all and end all of security, but it's a good first line of defence against shady programmers. And the user knows that at least some vetting of the app has taken place.

Updates (and update notifications) of all kind are managed by the OS itself. You don't need app-specific services or a manual check running to check for updates.

Upgrade pricing is always available in the App Store if you choose to implement (essentially) a new product.

Negative reviews are a good thing as far as the end user is concerned. Some developer is getting hit really hard at the minute because of a lack of clarity regarding their In-App purchases.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: On the plus side...

"Updates (and update notifications) of all kind are managed by the OS itself. You don't need app-specific services or a manual check running to check for updates.

Upgrade pricing is always available in the App Store if you choose to implement (essentially) a new product."

The latter breaks the former; suddenly the app has to scan for updates and hassle you.

2. big_D Silver badge

Upgrade pricing doesn't work AFAIK. If you make a new version under a new entry in the store, you can't give owners of the old version a cheaper price than new customers. That is the problem.

Yes, you can get more revenue from putting v. 2 in as a new app, but that doesn't allow you to reward loyal customers.

3. rob miller

> Negative reviews are a good thing as far as the end user is concerned.

In my experience users write support requests as negative reviews - instead of using the support link, looking at the website, or even looking at the pictures and description on the app store.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never mind the upgrade charging

Saying its not fair on larger businesses is complete hogwash.

If you truly have a killer app, put the price up. If it really is killer it wont affect downloads.

Also, when was the last time a large business thought about a small business?

There are tesco express stores sprouting up opposite loads of corner shops. Ill wager they dont give a shit.

Fuck big business, the current model makes the playing field level. Fair or not.

If you cant make ends meet in your business you're doing it wrong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like