back to article Oh em gee – Adobe kills Flash Professional (it's called Animate now)

Adobe has released updates to its Creative Cloud application suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere Pro. Crucially, it has announced a change of direction for its Flash Professional design tool, which will be called Adobe Animate in the next version, due in early 2016. Ten years ago, Adobe's Flash plug …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Rusty 1
    Unhappy

In other news...

Bubonic plague has been renamed SlightlyUnwell, and the painful death due to radiation poisoning is now to be known as "Oooh the lights!"

So clean slate, surely no bugs in Animate...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Older operating systems, such as Windows 7 and earlier and Mac OS X 10.9 and earlier, have many severe bugs that prevent Design Space from working correctly."

How true. It couldn't possibly be Adobe's fault. Nothing ever is.

1. a_yank_lurker

"How true. It couldn't possibly be Adobe's fault. Nothing ever is."

Sounds like Adobe does not want to admit their code is garbage and only accidentally works on later OSes that have not been released yet.

4. Dan Paul

Older operating systems such as Windows 7, have many severe bugs...

like not being Windows 10.

ALL these dorks seem to get together every year to figure out which piece of crap software will drive the requirement to update the OS.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> "Older operating systems, such as Windows 7 and earlier and Mac OS X 10.9 and earlier, have many severe bugs that prevent Design Space from working correctly,"

I'm not a great fan of Windows but a lot of other software seems to manage perfectly well.

Physician, heal thyself.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Indeed, other than a few added features, the Windows APIs have remained virtually untouched. Other than the new "App" subsystems, nothing really changed that between 7 and 8 (architecturally speaking). Signed drivers compiled for 7 will run just fine under 8, 8.1 or even 10 (and their associated server versions). And with the security improvements made, its far more likely that a product would run under 7 but not anything later...

I suspect that Adobe is really just dependent on undocumented and unsupported API calls that are intended only for internal OS components.

1. Havin_it
        Holmes

>I suspect that Adobe is really just dependent on undocumented and unsupported API calls that are intended only for internal OS components.

If that's true (seeming to validate Dan Paul's suggestion above), have they always had the privileged access to these APIs that this would require? (Unless they are actually shit-hot reverse-engineers of binary code, which ... nah.)

And if *that's* true, then how come practically all their software runs like complete turd after the first 10 minutes (max)?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

> have they always had the privileged access to these APIs that this would require?

I'm thinking that its more of the reverse, that they have always used the undocumented stuff, then find out that it doesn't work anymore, then whine and complain to Microsoft until they put the old calls back in. Adobe does have a massive install base (Wouldn't want to alienate several million potential users), so they have quite a lot of leverage with Microsoft and Apple as far as software is concerned and would thus be able to pry the secrets of fast (and insecure) performance from them. Mostly to keep out the competitors who only have access to the publicly documented stuff, I would assume.

This is starting to change with HTML5 becoming more and more popular, but they'll still have everyone by the dangly bits until we completely move away from Flash and PDFs (As well as finding a good replacement for their photo and video editing suites, but since its a niche, its not quite as important as Flash and Reader)

> And if *that's* true, then how come practically all their software runs like complete turd after the first 10 minutes (max)?

Because a lot of the OS's garbage collecting and caching systems work much better with the standard, documented calls using data structures that they understand, with the undocumented calls, the GC and optimization stuff gets confused and stuff goes wrong

1. Havin_it

@COG

Thanks for the insight!

I'd say that "privileged access in advance" vs. "throwing toys oot the pram and getting their way after the fact" is pretty moot, but actually the latter does sound more plausible :)

I do however dislike the idea of PDF being tarred with the same brush as Flash. The "standard" does have its dropped bollocks no doubt, but most of the security headaches are surely implementation-based. I find it a hugely useful format if used sanely, and there's nothing to touch it in the business of digitally specifying a print job. I'd hate to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater.

That said, a really top-flight tool for editing existing PDFs still sadly eludes the FOSS community. LibreOffice Draw and to a limited extent Scribus are the best I've come across; anyone have any other faves?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I suspect that Adobe is really just dependent on undocumented and unsupported API calls that are intended only for internal OS components.

It may be even worse than that.

From my experiences with trying to get software working with Wine, the majority of software that works tends to be the well-written, well-behaved software. The software that has issues are the ones that rely on undocumented glitches and API calls that work accidentally, that nobody realised was wrong, particularly with side-effects of DirectX calls.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One third HTML5

Two thirds shite.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: One third HTML5

Anyone got any *workaday* examples of the html5/canvas output from this software?

Not the 'polished' demos the software authors put out but actual grunt stuff?

I'd be interested to see what it is like.

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

So, am I

trading my colander for a chinois? I really hope Adobe doesn't fall prey to their earlier mistakes. It would make a lot of support people's lives easier.

8. g7rpo

Should have been

Adobe Apps should have been cut off and binned a long time ago

Jobs was right, the new naming is just an exercise is turd polishing

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Should have been

Careful there! Turd polishing can be a specific art, getting the consistency and lustre just right. However the popular art of turd glittering is open to all who can roll a turd in a mess of glitter.

1. L05ER

indeed. Mr. Jobs was a world renowned turd polisher, and some would argue the best that ever existed...

2. Mark 85

In this case, they've generated and output a new turd. Once it cools to air temperature, the polishing will start anew.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

which Steve Jobs said ..... "The mobile era.... and open web standards"

Yet IOS Safari looks semi mothballed, refusing to roll forwards towards the HTML standards!

Double standards?

Nah, Jobsian bullshit. It is what he was famous for, but who really cares if it gets the billions rolling in from the punters.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone still run flash? Or Java? Unless you have a massively compelling reason, you should uninstall both.

Actually, you should uninstall them both right now, even if you need it. Then reinstall and only give them permissions that are required to function.

1. Hollerith 1

World to Moiety

Most people use both. They are the ordinary punters who just want thinks to work, and have no deep feelings for the security breaches Flash and Java assist. Turning them off makes a lot of popular sites cease to work well, or at all. What do you want them to do? The intertubes are for everyone, not just us super brainiac types.

11. L05ER

poised to dominate?!

flash has only recently been overtaken as the best (read: widest support,lowest resource impact) way to design interactive web apps and animation.

in fact it was dominating the web 7yrs before this author thinks it had promise... at least that was the first time i authored a flash file.

i'll bash flash with the rest of em... but fucking hell, it was bliss compared to RealMedia anything.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should've called it Evacuate

...given the amount of crap that comes out of it.

13. VinceH

The cynic in me thinks that Adobe are worried that Flash is developing a reputation for being Swiss Cheese Software even amongst ordinary folk, so this move isn't just polishing their turd, it's finding a whole new brand of polish for it.

1. a_yank_lurker

@VinceH - This would not be the first time a turd was rebranded to cover its stench. It occasionally works for awhile until underlying stench overwhelms.

1. VinceH

This is quite true. It should go without saying that as far as I'm concerned, the brand of polish used is irrelevant - a turd is still a turd. I currently have no Adobe software on my computer, and that won't change even after some judicious use of "New and Improved ShitShine3000tm."

14. s. pam Silver badge
    Flame

Now fucking kill Flash completely!!!!

In the name of all things Holy, PLEASE,

Get your Ebola virus of an app off of the Internet once and for all!

1. GerryMC

Re: Now fucking kill Flash completely!!!!

I suspect that is rather the point of the rebrand - to remind the Flash Professional users that there is an alternative - the "perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future." part of the Jobsian quote.

The easiest way to get rid of flash is to make it easier to convert old projects to HTML5

15. Michael Habel

Makes sense to me...

Since a lot of the Wester Anime I like to watch has been done in Flash. And, as a finished broadcasted product. I doubt it could harm anyone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like