back to article RSI Videofied is a 101 in how to build IP CCTV and alarms with zero security, zero encryption

The Videofied wireless video surveillance cameras and alarm systems can be easily hijacked and spied on – thanks to practically nonexistent security. According to London-based infosec biz Cybergibbons, the Videofied W panel is hopelessly insecure. It gathers live video from cameras, and data from security sensors, and feeds …

1. asdf

can't resist

Hmm why would anybody including a web site send passwords (keys) unencrypted over the internet? Biting the hand ...

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: can't resist

It's just that Videofied is working to make the Hollywood version of IT come true.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

It's probably just the French way of doing it.

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

No, you don't understand, it's a business feature!

When the various politicians manage to get this evil encryption thing banned, then RSI Video Technologies will already have a shipping product with no encryption, putting them weeks ahead of the competition!

4. Adam 1

> send passwords (keys) unencrypted over the internet?

In defence of such "bird brained" security, one could make the argument that they do not ever send passwords unencrypted*

*as opposed to receiving unencrypted passwords.

2. Notas Badoff

IoT success!

Next year, *five* digit numbers! We've been at the flatter part of the exponential curve.

... CVE-2015-8252, CVE-2015-8253, CVE-2015-8254, ... CVE-2015-15283, ...

BTW: Can someone come up with a CVE medal/ribbon we can start sending these companies? Should then be easy to have a site where a potential customer can quickly check when thinking about a product. "AeroGello brand security products have received 17 CVE ribbons!"

3. x 7

I always assumed those USA cop programs that showed the intelligence services hacking private security cams at will to be a load of bull........now I'm not so sure

What did the TV studios know that we don't?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Crazy Operations Guy
      Joke

They knew how to build a GUI in Visual Basic and trace the IP addresses of the feds.

4. John Mangan

I don't know about you . . .

but given how badly borked their product is - how much faith would you have in the patch?

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: I don't know about you . . .

The new patch will surely be completely impervious to hackers - the serial-number-derived keys will be stripped out and replaced with new ones generated using a state-of-the-art random generator (returning the value "4", chosen by fair roll of dice).

1. Adam 1

Re: I don't know about you . . .

https://xkcd.com/221/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like