back to article Is it a Loon or is it a drone? Google seeks experimental radio license in US

Google's asked the United States' Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to let it play with millimetre-wave technology America-wide for two years. In a filing that's sparked “Project Loon coming to America?” speculation, the company has filed a heavily-redacted request with the FCC for permission to run unspecified …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Per Diem

> "Google has a coordination agreement in place with the National Radio Astronomy Observatory to ensure that that operations under [REDACTED] current experimental authorizations ... do not cause interference to radio astronomy observations at NRAO’s Owens Valley location."

I bet the agreement states that when Google gives the 'high sign,' the astronomers kick back for a while, with every hour down earning them oh... say about $50,000? That's not even petty cash for Google, but it would be rich lifeblood to the typical radio astronomy outfit stuck in out in the boonies.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google used to be a search engine...

...but it is now all pervasive - its phones tracks you, your search history is monitored, WiFi cameras watch you at home, their cars will drive you and their drones monitor the sky - does anyone else thinks this looks suspiciously like the outsourced arm of the US 'intelligence' agencies.

I'm not a tin foil hatter, but if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

1. Florida1920
      Angel

Re: Google used to be a search engine...

I'm not a tin foil hatter, but if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Or it may be a loon in disguise.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Other than the cars, that's different from Verizon how?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Microsoft and Hollywood haven't made a religion out of turning Verizon into a boogyman. That's how.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like General Electric, Progress is Alphabet's Most Important Product

You can take off your tinfoil hat now. Unless you completed the Faraday Cage, enough radio signals leak to give away your thoughts.

4. Killing Time

Am I missing something?

...with all the hype and supposed development around drones and product delivery...

As far as I can see they are severely lacking in payload capacity/range with no likely mid term solution.

Even if that were resolved there is the not insignificant matter of and glacial progress surrounding managing airspace, ask Lester!

And finally there is the matter of transfer of ownership. Would the shipper transfer anything of value to something they couldn't positively identify as secure, to someone they couldn't identify, or transport it via something which could easily be intercepted, knocked or blown out of the sky with relative ease or generally be forcibly disabled and robbed. Equally, Would the development and infrastructure economics work for low value items?

It strikes me as a solution to a problem which doesn't really exist.....

1. Killing Time

Re: Am I missing something?

Clearly I did. Missed the article on Amazon and their toying around....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I missing something?

Yes. They are primarily for gettimg the population to be immune to surveillance by drones since there is no way they would work as effective delivery vehicles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like