back to article Mr Grey, the Russian hacker who helped haul in 1.2 billion logins

The FBI has linked a hacker said to be in part behind the plundering of 1.2 billion credentials from some 420,000 websites to the handle "Mr Grey". The hack as reported by The Registercould be one of the biggest data theft hauls in history. The US agency linked the hacker to the handle using open source data including email …

1. frank ly

Why am I Mr Grey?

Because you're a goddam bore!

1. Peter Clarke 1

Re: Why am I Mr Grey?

Are they sure it's one man? A group of 50 maybe??

1. Alister
        Coat

Re: Why am I Mr Grey?

Are they sure it's one man? A group of 50 maybe??

Sounds a bit shady to me...

2. Turtle

Thief.

"Mr Grey, part of a group dubbed CyberVor..."

"Vor" is the Russian word for "thief". It is amongst those Russian / Cyrillic words which can be written using letters from the Latin alphabet: "Bop". (Note that, in Russian, "B" and "b" represent different sounds: a "B" sounds as "v" and a "b" represents "palatalization of the consonant immediately proceeding this letter".)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thief.

Does make me wonder why we need Internet connections to Russia. At least whilst they don't bother to do anything about Internet criminals. What benefits do we get?

1. VinceH

"What benefits do we get?"

Emails containing offers of marriage from attractive young Russian ladies?

OTOH, I don't seem to get that sort of spam anymore - not even caught at the server. As you were, then.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Nevermore.

I don't know what I did besides try and locate a website called old splodgers (years ago) after a workmate was talking about it but all I ever get is 70 year old women that don't appear able to afford much needed clothing. WTH did I do to deserve that?

I never even found the website.

At least it keeps me celibate.

2. Dan Wilkie

Because it would make operating as part of a multinational company pretty challenging?

A lot of companies have Russian offices - and in particular a lot of our development and a previous employer was carried out by Russian coders, they were really rather good at what they did...

3. Joe Harrison

Does make me wonder why we need Internet connections to <xyz>

You're right the internet would work a lot better if we pruned off all the unnecessary bits. As it happens I don't know anyone in Birmingham and I never go there so I propose we disconnect it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

As it happens I don't know anyone in Birmingham and I never go there so I propose we disconnect it.

Why? There would be no benefit. Birmingham does not cause millions of Internet users serious grief.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Another irony detector in need of updating, it seems.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Another irony detector in need of updating

I detected the sarcasm but it was completely missing the point of my argument.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Smooth Newt - Birmingham causes me grief every day, I have to live in the durned place! Please don't cut off my internet access, it's what keeps me sane. Well, stops me from getting any worse, leastways...

4. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

What benefits do we get?

It takes the heat of the FBI not prosecuting the NSA for flagrant disregard of the American Constitution.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mr Grey

Christian Grey perhaps? That would explain where the money comes from

4. knarf

It a not a Man

Its a State, maybe a grey bear.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like