back to article Indian scientists teach computers to see by watching Cricket

Indian researchers from Xerox and the International Institute of Information Technology at Hyderabad have used the sport of Cricket to develop a novel approach to interpreting human movement recorded by video. As the trio of authors from the Institute's Centre for Visual Information Technology write, in an ArXiv paper titled …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self defeating exercise I think...

Nobody can watch cricket without falling asleep;

Even the computer assigned the task will go in to sleep mode.

I do have to declare an interest in cricket and F1

I use both as an excuse to have an afternoon nap.

2. Thorne
    Terminator

If there ever was a reason

For an AI to kill all humans it would be because we made it watch cricket over and over again.......

1. Captain DaFt

Re: If there ever was a reason

First it'll develop a craving for proper tea.

Then it'll wipe out humanity because it has no way to drink it.

3. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Yes, but...

... what about nonchalant pigeons and shiny red buses...?

1. Alister
      Coat

Re: Yes, but...

... and friendly chimney sweeps??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

..and pink spaceships. Ah yes - that's an S.E.P.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They had better not let them read Simon Raven's autobiography. According to Wikipedia: E W Swanton called Raven's cricket memoir Shadows on the Grass "the filthiest cricket book ever written".

Apparently the author then requested permission to use the quote on the book's cover.

1. DocJames
          Mushroom

There was a batsman standing at the wicket. Ah, thought Arthur, that'll make it more interesting...

RIP Douglas. Although I doubt you'd be resting or at peace if you knew what the inhabitants of this particular blue green planet were up to.

1. Teiwaz

"RIP Douglas. Although I doubt you'd be resting or at peace if you knew what the inhabitants of this particular blue green planet were up to."

Amen to that.

Ford: "Eddies in the Space-time continuum"

Arthur: "Well, tell him to come pick up his sofa."

4. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Marvellous!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will it detect match rigging by the Indian players?

That would be useful

6. Matthew Taylor

Sounds like some cricket fans have come up with a good excuse to have the match on in their lab.

Coincidentally, I have a couple of papers soon to be published...

"Heightened Human Gait Analysis by online deep learning of Victoria's Secret catwalk shows"

"Real World Accurate Detection of Impurities in Ethanol / Water solutions in a London Pub"

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

@ Matthew Taylor

I really think you are on to something there - where do I sign up for the field research?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" Those commentaries mention players by name and describe their actions, providing very useful clues with which to interpret what's going on in a video "

Presumably, such iconic commentaries as

'The bowler's Holding, the Batsman's Willy' will now take on another new interpretation

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

AIs that understand cricket could have an impact on global politics

IIRC, in the weeks during the situation re the Falklands slowly simmering towards boiling point, Punch suggested defusing the situation by teaching cricket to the Argentinians. Because historically, no two cricketing nations had ever gone to war on each other.

The other suggestion for coping with the crisis was to teach youself bowls, as that is the thing to do to remain calm in the event of an approaching hostile armada.

----------

Slartibartfast interrupted his train of thought at this point as if sensing what was going through his mind.

"The game you know as cricket," he said, and his voice still seemed to be wandering lost in subterranean passages, "is just one of those curious freaks of racial memory which can keep images alive in the mind aeons after their true significance has been lost in the mists of time. Of all the races on the Galaxy, only the English could possibly revive the memory of the most horrific wars ever to sunder the Universe and transform it into what I'm afraid is generally regarded as an incomprehensibly dull and pointless game.

"Rather fond of it myself," he added, "but in most people's eyes you have been inadvertently guilty of the most grotesque bad taste. Particularly the bit about the little red ball hitting the wicket, that's very nasty."

1. Alister
      Mushroom

Re: AIs that understand cricket could have an impact on global politics

Because historically, no two cricketing nations had ever gone to war on each other.

Umm... India vs Pakistan??

1. The entire Radio 1 playlist commitee

Re: AIs that understand cricket could have an impact on global politics

England vs South Africa

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like