back to article Fujitsu hits the data accelerator and parallelises SSD access

Fujitsu Labs has had in-memory database software directly talk to an SSD, optimising data positioning for faster access, and boosting database performance threefold over standard SSD use. The in-memory database SW sent read and write commands directly to the flash chips. It has a read-ahead feature, cognisant of data access …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I've found that a sizable number of RAID 0 SSD's can have a significant grade of improvement even without direct addressing the Flash chips. Very data layout dependent though so you have to work it out. Nice to see someone else looking at it, especially at the chip layer.

I'll probably die before seeing it but this tied to in-memory storage would definitively set a performance bar, much in a similar performance jump is being seen with spinning disk -> SSD -> memory does for now. All that battery backed memory code becomes suddenly relevant again. (Hey, IBM, is this part of your storage business plan? Just askin.)

Yep, pre-beating my horse again.

1. Lusty

@Jack of Shadows

isn't that what IBM already did when they put flash on DIMMs in their servers?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CAFS?

Phew. I remember funding that in the 1970s...

1. Kamal Hashmi

Re: CAFS?

And since FJ took over ICL they own all the patents...(might be out-of-date though)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like