back to article Amazon resets account passwords feared compromised – report

Amazon.com appears to be asking some of its customers to reset passwords after a breach of some sort. The online bazaar apparently sent cryptic emails to some of its account holders warning them that their passwords were blabbed in some way, and therefore have to be changed. "We recently discovered that your password may have …

1. getHandle

Probably an app

Given the lardy state of their Android apps, it wouldn't surprise me...

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Probably an app

Never completed install of Amazon android app.

I did investigate it (though first irritating thing was that it was a non store app, so initial install had to be a "sideload" with unknown sources allowed).

However once I saw the ludicrously excessive list of permissions the Amazon app wanted, it was an instant stop to the install.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lucky escape

I did install the app - it constantly bombared me with 'random' offers. Quickly removed.

2. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Me, too.

Yeah, got the Amazon mail, even though I haven't used Amazon for years.

Probably some outfit I DO use, like Banggood.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Well, I get password reset requests from so many banks,web stores and even Apple store and I can't even remember opening up accounts with them.

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Nail on the head Mr Overlord

There was an Amazon.co.uk phishing email doing the rounds last week. The latest reset email, if genuine, has possibly gone out to suckers who took the bait.

1. hup hup hoo

Re: Nail on the head Mr Overlord

No, I got it. Never go near links in emails... suspect it's some dodgy code they pushed out that meant an authentication request was made without SSL. They probably just email anyone who'd logged in during a certain date/time.

4. Peter Simpson 1
    Holmes

How'd they get the logins?

Funny, I just got a strange email, allegedly from Amazon.

"Since you bought [this product], you're eligible for a free year of unlimited Amazon Cloud Storage -- just click this button and sign in to your Amazon account."

I had actually bought the (somewhat pricey) product mentioned on Amazon, about 6 months ago, but it was sold by a different company.

The email was very convincing. Ultimately, I deleted it, although I could certainly have come up with a use for the storage. Just didn't smell right.

// elementary, my dear Watson

Edit: Apparently, it's a legit offer (still declining it though):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/ref=cs_hc_g_tv?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx1SKFFP8U1B6N5&cdThread=Tx1I1FNUJCFLAGO

1. yoganmahew

Re: How'd they get the logins?

@Peter Simpson 1

Every offer email looks like spam, scam, or sham to me these days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like