back to article Tor Project: Anonymity ain't free, folks. Pony up

The programmers behind internet privacy tool Tor are asking supporters to donate money to bankroll future development. The software project has kicked off a fundraising effort to enhance the online anonymizing network, which is used by whistleblowers, journalists, criminals, normal folk, privacy-conscious netizens, and many …

1. gollux
    Black Helicopters

Anonymity wants to be free...

2. MrDamage Silver badge

old fashioned check

So they're accepting moudly bits of lumberjack shirts?

Cheque. It's not that hard to spell, anf causes absolutely no confusion as to the meaning of the word.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: old fashioned check

I think you mean mouldy. I don't think moudly is a word, but I haven't chequed it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anf and, or maybe the other way round.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Muphry's Law strikes again.

I suppose that's what happen when you have 8 browser tabs open on a mobile and you're typing faster than the phone is capable of rendering the input on screen.

1. BenR

I really really REALLY hope "Muphry's Law" was a deliberate mistake...

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Muphry's Law

It's similar to Murphy's Law, but it applies to grammar/spelling nazis.

Basically, it dictates that those who seek to correct someone else's spelling or grammar, will make a mistake themselves.

2. TopCat62

No, Muphry's Law is a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry's_law

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Americans eh !!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice idea, but

I would think the donor list to be of more interest to some than those of the members of Ashley Madison or the EDL. The latter, mere titillation, the former, ??? who knows.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Surely all those paedoes, terrorists and drug dealers should be ponying up.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

interesting list

of the donors you have there. Care if we take a look?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

I'm not averse to donating a little cash to keep Tor running, as on balance I think it does more good than it does harm, however, I don't fancy belatedly finding myself in an orange jumpsuit for this, much as I love Cuba.

Any ideas? And no, thanks, but I'll not be suckered into a 419 variant by sending the money on to a third party.

1. Old Handle

Re: Hmmm...

Buy either a pre-paid debit card or a money order with cash and use that.

7. User McUser
    Happy

And it's Tax Deductible too

From https://www.torproject.org/donate/donor-faq.html.en:

If you pay taxes in the United States, your donation to Tor is tax deductible to the full extent required by law. The tax ID number for the Tor Project is 20-8096820.

8. BenR

"Though the Tor Project has found itself at odds with the US government for criminal activity taking place on the network"

Isn't this almost exactly the same as saying the (open) internet itself should be in trouble because of illegal activity on it?

1. BenR

... or that roads are illegal because they're used in the commission of a crime? (Such as speeding at one extreme, to getaway driving at the other?)

... or that pharmaceuticals are illegal because of heroin and cocaine?

... or (especially for the Americans) saying that guns are illegal because they are used in hundreds of thousands of violent crimes every year?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The gullible

..will get fleeced.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I pay taxes

I pay taxes, and US.gov pays TOR. I was a bit surprised to learn that's still happening. It's like Mozilla w/rt Google then Yahoo: if you're gonna take from them, don't expect anything from your users (as they're shuffling toward the coatroom...)

I want to like TOR, but having given it another look in the last few weeks I'm not impressed. It's not slow, it's excruciatingly slow. And considering their primary funding sources, I can't trust their intentions. Sorry.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like