back to article Science Museum trumpets Da Vinci expo

London's Science Museum is trumpeting its forthcoming exhibition Leonardo da Vinci: The Mechanics of Genius, which opens its doors on 10 February next year. A view of the da Vinci exhibition Right now and for £10 (£7 concessions), you can grab a ticket for the "visually stunning" extravaganza which "highlights the immense …

1. Alister
    Boffin

Amongst the exhibits on display you will find the following:

A machine capable of travelling submersed in a marine environment, the "Going-Under-The-Water-Safely Device"

A device invented to encrypt and decrypt messages, the "Engine for the Neutralizing of Information by the Generation of Miasmic Alphabets"

A machine to make coffee really quickly "The-Very-Fast-Coffee-Machine"

A device to propel a small projectile accurately and quickly, "The Gonne".

1. Lamont Cranston
      Joke

Did he invent

The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down?

2. macjules

Not forgetting his paintings ...

Perhaps also best known for the Mona Ogg. Some say that the teeth from this painting would follow the viewer around the room and all the way to the street outside. Another description, although unclear whether it's about Mona Ogg or another piece, is that it would follow the viewer home and do the washing-up.

1. Kamal Hashmi

Re: Not forgetting his paintings ...

I don't think Mona Ogg would do the washing up - more like take charge of his life and tell him what to do, starting with the washing up.

3. WalterAlter
      Pint

Boy was 300 years ahead of the game

Let's not forget a chain, sprocket, pedal drive bicycle, worm gear drive, clutch drive. Seems to have had a power to weight ratio hangup on the flying machine, which is interesting in trying to suss how people thought differently back then, what changed in methods of metal data handling that allowed perspective rendering, the beginnings of scientific method and the seeds of the Industrial Revolution. When the robots take over, we know who they will worship, lol!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. hplasm
      Devil

Re: "trumpet's Da Vinci expo"

"Like 'of Nazereth'"

As opposed to Jesus of Guadalupe?

2. Dr Who

It's still arguably his name. Many, probably most, last names have their roots in something descriptive. Johnson, Thompson, Smith, Taylor, d'Arc all stem from something descriptive. They're still last names though.Not sure about Beeblebrox.

1. TitterYeNot
        Coat

"They're still last names though. Not sure about Beeblebrox."

Beeblebrox is bit of a special case though, due to the accident with a contraceptive and a time machine which caused him to inherit his whole name from his direct descendant Zaphod Beeblebrox the Fourth. Who is actually his late great-grandfather, who is also very disappointed in young Zaphod...

3. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: "trumpet's Da Vinci expo" @ Symon

Of course it is a name: just ask AB de Villiers or Harry Windsor.

Surnames are commonly place names (see above), family/clan names (O'Neill, McDonald, Eriksson etc), or trade names (Baker, Smith, Tanner etc).

Mine? I'm from the Dorset Buddens not the German Buddens, so mine means "bog" or "marsh".

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

That'll be Harry Windsor from Germany?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

That'll be Harry Windsor from Germany?

haha. Harry was born in London, so no he isn't from Germany. The last time a British monarch was born abroad was way back in 1683.

3. WibbleMe

Windsor Castle already has some work on display of Da Vinci

4. Yugguy

if I was born in 1453

Leonardo Da Vinci would be jealous of me.

5. TheProf
    Unhappy

£10?

Ten pounds to see this? Brilliant!

Oh hold on. Return train tickets and somewhere to stay for the night plus food and drink at London prices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: £10?

Come by National Express (unless you live in the North of Scotland), Sleep on the coach.

Food & Drink can be reasonable (think Wetherspoons), not dining at 'The Ritz'.

Or if you have to stay overnight there are places just outside central london that are far cheaper than inside the Circle Line.

You can do it on a fairly tight budget.

My guess is that you don't really want to come anyway....

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: £10?

Oh right, sleep on the coach. Find you can't walk after 11 hours of knee torture. How much is the stretcher team for the museum tour?

Why can't exhibitions like this tour the country!? Go Green, take one exhibition to the people, rather than thousands of people to the exhibition! Simples?

2. Jedit Silver badge
        Thumb Down

"Come by National Express (unless you live in the North of Scotland)"

I do live in the North of Scotland.

6. Stevie

Bah!

Admittedly the bloke could draw and paint, and was a fair hand with the chisel.

But seriously, none of his "genius" devices could ever have worked. Screw-driven flying machines that would look good towed around in a carnival but would not budge upward so much as an inch under power. Hand-cranked tanks that were harder to move than if stripped of the gears and such and just pushed around from the inside. Gliders that wouldn't.

I watched a show from the UK where they built his "terror weapon" - an oversized catapult that anyone should have been able to see would never work. The arm was so massive it was less powerful than the smaller "Deluxe Castle Smashing Engyne" on account of all the energy being used just to swing the arm. The effective payload could only be measured using imaginary numbers.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Bah!

But seriously, none of his "genius" devices could ever have worked.

Credit where credit is due: he did invent the parachute, and in 2000 a guy called Adrian Nichols built one to Da Vinci's design and tested it, and it worked perfectly.

1. Stevie

Re: Credit where credit is due

Was it built with renaissance era materials, or did we cheat a bit?

Actually, I looked it up and it's both. Nicholls rid himself of the deathtrap at 2000 feet and landed using a conventional modern 'chute.

Although the account states he floated "safely down" to that altitude, he could have just free-fallen down as safely. Leonardo stated that the user would suffer no injury, but seemed oblivious of the danger posed once the parachutist was grounded but the flying tent was still coming down on top of him, and the actual test suggests that the downward progress was rather too rapid for comfort.

If anyone actually lands with one of these I'll give you and Len the win.

7. SteveCarr
    Pint

Kiwis beating you to it...

http://www.bethere.co.nz/event/22176

1. SteveCarr

Re: Kiwis beating you to it...

Oh yeah, and ours is free!

2. HipposRule

Re: Kiwis beating you to it...

I think the French were earlier actually http://www.vinci-closluce.com/en/decouvrir-le-clos-luce/l-histoire-du-lieu/

8. Faux Science Slayer

Giordano Bruno's death was "a sad episode" says Rome....

Convicted of heresy, pantheism and promoting heliocentric conspiracies, Bruno was 'slow roasted over a small fire' on Feb 17, 1600. To commemorate the event, the Vatican released this statement on Feb 17, 2000....

"Bruno's death was a sad episode, but the Inquisitors had the desire to serve truth and to promote the common good and doing the utmost to save his life"

~ Cardinal Angelo Sodano, Dean of the College of Cardinals

Galileo was sentenced to house arrest for the last 30 years of life and his daughter ordered to a nunnery, from which he received only a few letters. Four hundred years of Inquisition is still in denial over science and is forcing false Carbon climate forcing fraud.

1. dogged
      WTF?

Re: Giordano Bruno's death was "a sad episode" says Rome....

Here is a definition of relevance. I hope you find it useful.

9. Bill Fresher

Those photos of the exhibit look amazing. Some stuff on partitions, a model of something and a computer screen. Awesome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like