back to article Pen tester sounds alert over 'gaping' flaws in Brit alarm platform

British penetration tester Andrew Tierney says he has found dangerous vulnerabilities in network-connected alarm systems sold by the UK's self-proclaimed market leader CSL DualCom. Tierney says the flaws, also reported by the US Government CERT Coordination Center, relate to "incredibly bad" encryption, clunky physical …

1. frank ly

Marketing 101

"Tierney claims the company says more risk-averse customers can buy more expensive and better secured devices."

It's important to differentiate the key features within your product range.

1. dotdavid

Re: Marketing 101

Hell it's no different from what most Android phone manufacturers expect you to do.

"Sorry that £100 Galaxy smartphone will never see an update. Why not purchase a £500 Galaxy S6 for a whole year's worth of security updates!"

2. Not Terry Wogan
    Thumb Up

Just read the entire report and his blog entries

It's a nice bit of work.

I wish I could say I was surprised by CSL's incompetence, but I'm not and I presume nobody reading this is either. What a bloody industry we work in.

Anyway - well done, that man!

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Just read the entire report and his blog entries

Hopefully it will make a difference, I somehow doubt it will as it feels like one of those things managers will go "Get the cheapest quote"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like