back to article Looking for a council house in Sheffield City? Meet your fellow tenants

An e-tempest is brewing in the beautiful northern metropolis of Sheffield after a City Council staffer forgot to BCC locals due to renew their Housing Register status. It was a mere 10 minutes later, displaying a laudable commitment to remediating the leak, that the council followed up the email seeking "to recall the message …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. dotdavid

Re: Is proofreading just too much to ask?

I managed to read it just fine. Am I missing something?

1. magickmark
        Windows

Made sense to me as well !!

I see the OP removed their comment, all's well that ends well. As a wise man once said "theres (sic) actualy (sic) more cells in our brains than there are brains in our entire body"

2. gazzton

Apologies. I'm an idiot

My mistake - sorry to say a problem with my reading ability not with the author's writing skills.

Quickly withdrew my comment but too late.

1. Steven Raith

Just like Sheffield City Council, eh?

Steven R

2. magickmark
          Pint

@gazzton

No Problem, have a beer, its Friday after all and it has been a long hard week no doubt :D

And the beer will help balance the cells in our brains to be more inline with the amount of brains in our body. So its a winner all round.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The Register understands the Information Commissioner's Office has not received any complaints about the incident."

Shouldn't the council have notified the ICO themselves?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't the council have notified the ICO themselves?

...Like the Register did when they did exactly the same thing? *innocent whistle*

Not something I've ever done; but I'm pretty sure that's largely due to regular stories about other people doing it, so I look at CC fields with extreme suspicion.

1. DaLo

The Register? The bastion of good IT practice? Surely not?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/24/email_blunder/

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The Register? The bastion of good IT practice? Surely not?"

You mean the register that uses https addresses? That one?

3. Dr Paul Taylor

Fault of the mail program

It's easy for those of us with long experience of using computers and email to mock bureaucrats who make blunders like this. However, the fact that this kind of blunder is easy and common does raise the question of whether IT could actually do something about it. It would be easy for mail programs to refuse to send emails with more than a (configurable) handful of addresses in the To: and CC: lines, at least without querying the use.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fault of the mail program

Abbreviation will be the death of me.

Possibly sometime late in 2055, when flying my flying car, I press the AES** instead of the AAS** button. As no doubt they will be right next to each other, and easily distinguished by 2 different shades of burgundy.

*Automatic Ejector Seat

**Automatic Approach System.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How many levels of·"Are you sure?" do you propose.

Are you sure?

Are your really sure?

Are you really, really sure you're really sure.

Then there could always be a "Just send the effing mail" override button.

Doesn't matter how many levels of protection you put in, it will still happen.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

No, the fault of HR. It's all too simple to assume that everyone they recruit has been trained in the basics by someone else. Their induction procedures should cover the basics of data protection including misuse of cc: and make breaches a disciplinary matter. But given the fact that in this case someone then sent out an attempt to recall and in doing so did exactly the same thing makes you wonder about the way they go about recruiting in the first place.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>makes you wonder about the way they go about recruiting in the first place

Same as everywhere else these days.

Now then candidate A what renumeration do you expect?

A: Oh, at lest 40,0000

Same question to B

B: I'll be happy with a bag of peanuts and maybe you could throw me the odd bone from time to time.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

One might wonder, with all the wonderful things one hears about this interweb thingie, that major providers of email clients don't have a group policy which *forbids* CC? Or at a minimum, forbids CC with (as suggested elsewhere in the thread) more than some small minimum of entries.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It's all too simple to assume that everyone they recruit has been trained in the basics by someone else."

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the prime reason for the vast majority of calls to the helldesk.

As for restricting the number of recipients in the To: and/or CC: fields, sorry, that's just not on. How else will HR be able to tell the entire company about who's leaving and who's joining the HR department? (Not that anyone cares about all the other employees leaving or starting who never get a company wide hello or goodbye)

4. Commswonk

As Scott Adams nearly said...

As it's Friday a nearly perfect Dilbert cartoon might be appropriate:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-05-10

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: As Scott Adams nearly said...

Dilbert was seriously overweight 20 years ago.

5. Dan Wilkie

Ah, recall email

I don't think that's ever actually worked for me... Nothing like an irate manager banging down your door when you sent them a heat of the moment email which you were then unable to recall ;)

6. BenR

No surprise

Having dealt with both Sheffield City Council (as it's where I live) and Sheffield Property Shop (on behalf of someone else), I can tell you now, from personal experience, just what a bunch of incompetents the entire shower is.

And quite how SPS have managed to get away with that privacy policy is absolutely beyond me.

7. Alister
    Facepalm

A spokesperson from Sheffield City Council said: “... We noticed immediately and recalled the email and alerted data protection officers."

The very first lesson in school ICT, and in all these IT literacy courses should be "YOU CAN'T RECALL AN EXTERNAL EMAIL!"

I bet they feel so proud they recalled it immediately...

Shame...

1. DaLo

A spokesperson from Sheffield City Council said: “... We noticed immediately and recalled the email and alerted data protection officers."

Just replace the word "recalled the email" with "highlighted our mistake to everyone to make sure they had noticed that we had made a serious boo boo" in every occasion that you see it.

2. Mark 85
      Devil

Sure you can... much like they used to recall faxes: "put it in an envelope and send it back to us". Only with email all you have to do is hit "reply" and it goes back to them

Ok.. most manglement or PR types that say they "recalled" the email are idiots. They probably fall for the Amish Virus every time also.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vindication

This is why I've spent quite a bit of time this week developing an intranet app for my HR dept to send email to all staff members' *personal* email rather than giving them a list of contacts (we have a lot of non-office based staff). Maybe not this week, and maybe not next, but one week, someone would have sent to the To or CC field. With a bit of effort, that is now impossible...*

*I hope. I've tested and tested and tested...

1. Loud Speaker

Re: Vindication

Just when you think you have made it idiot-proof, along comes a bigger idiot!

1. BenR

Re: Vindication

Never underestimate idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I've found doing things like that is just the modern, tech version of the battle between armour and warhead... warhead *ALWAYS* wins eventually.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Mike Flex

Reply to all

"The Register does not know if the residents have begun emailing each other using the "reply-to-all" function"

Is the Pope Catholic?

Every time we had a reply-to-all storm at a former employer you could look forward to a half-day of r-t-a requests to not reply to all, mixed in with requests to "delete me from this list" even, or perhaps especially, for emails that didn't originate from a list server, all enlivened with sarky comments on the internal newsgroups.

Made me wish for Google Wave. Apparently I was the only one.

10. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Sometimes it's the fault of the hardware. A couple of times I've moved my mouse towards a button and I've bumped into the side of the keyboard causing my finger to press down, activating whatever button the pointer happens to be over at that point.

A sensible option would be to make the Reply All or Send To Group functions forcibly put the recipents addresses in the BCC list.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But even if you accidentally hit "Reply All", you need to then compose and hit send before it becomes an irreversible act. I hit "Reply All" accidentally loads of times at work, I then look at the massive list of names it's going to, I call myself a twat, hit cancel.

And in the original Sheffield case, there's no way this is a bumping of the mouse, or a misplaced tap. This is doing it wrong and not checking before sending.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Sometimes it's the fault of the hardware."

The hardware in this case being of the biological variety?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like