back to article Obscure Chinese web servers at the end of your connections? It's legit, and growing

Netcraft has issued an update to its regular rating of the world's most-used web servers and found two Chinese nginx forks on the rise. The usual suspects top the charts: Apache's out in front with 86,528,264 active sites, a 49.99 per cent market share. nginx's 27,855,455 users give it 16.09 per cent share. Microsoft and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What would a web server be doing in my logs?

1. captain veg Silver badge

maybe some wood

Some kind of spider in your wood shed?

-A.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No problem

We just set our routers to not accept any traffic from any Chinese IP address. We also ban all Russian IP addresses. In our business, there's no reason we'd have legitimate traffic from those countries, and not accepting any connections saves a lot of work.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No problem

I'm so conditioned I can't tell if that's racist, sexist or eminently sensible. Maybe all three.

1. GrumpenKraut
          Meh

Just pragmatic, I guess. I had 99 per cent of net traffic (all attacks) coming from certain IP blocks. Many were in China. Blocked them.

I am talking about a non-business, no ads site. Just Mathematics and open source software.

Similarly for email: blocking a few subnets of very active and malicious spammers helped a lot.

1. MrTuK

"Similarly for email: blocking a few subnets of very active and malicious spammers helped a lot." was that Microsoft by any chance or Google !

1. GrumpenKraut

No (you guessed that). Apart from the big ones in other continents I recall one block (of a hoster) somewhere in eastern Europe, mostly for hammering my server with absolutely insane rogue crawling, as if a bunch of broken scripts were in endless loops.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: anonymous coward

"What would a web server be doing in my logs?"

Think outbound firewall logs.

C.

2. Charles Manning

Apache is nowhere near the top

Of all the web servers out there, the most common by far are the embedded web servers in printers, routers, ADSL modems,, etc.

The typical western household has probably three or four of those without even realising it.

Those run web servers such as lightttp, mongoose and such. There are billions of these.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apache is nowhere near the top

That's why Netcraft uses the term "web-facing" rather than "deployed".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like