back to article Want to boost your payslip? Get DevOps on your business card

Getting DevOps onto your business card can make a serious difference to your standard of living, if a salary report from Puppet Labs is anything to go by. The automation vendor’s 2015 Salary Report also said that teams using DevOps practices – such as continuous integration and, er, automated testing – tended to be “higher …

1. Josh Cain

Cost of living much?

No word on if regional cost of living was factored in. $100k a year in San Francisco will get you a broom closet you share with 8 other smug hipsters, or if you live in BFE $100k would have you living like a king in a gold plated double wide trailer. Also costs of utilities vary greatly across regions, not to mention continents/hemispheres.

So while DevOps engineers make more, due to their location they could be living in a van down by the river, and be upside down on their payments for the van.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another article pushing the joys of DevOps - is this a new editorial direction based on some prominent advertising income for El Reg?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"based on some prominent advertising income for El Reg?" What advertising?

3. knarf

Cool!! I can buy 100 business cards for £5

I'm sure its a bit more complex than just having the card

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Cool!! I can buy 100 business cards for £5

Not really, just finagle the interview, too.

PHB will be impressed by your KeywordDrop strategy that you will undoubtedly deploy.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Not really, just finagle the interview, too.

BT job interview

2. admiraljkb

Re: Cool!! I can buy 100 business cards for £5

>>I'm sure its a bit more complex than just having the card

Yep. You have to be part developer, part IT, have reasonable architecture skills, be geared for very dynamic environments, possess heavy duty automation skills, able to translate Devspeak and ITspeak between those two warring sides of the shop, combined with the political chops to tell both Development and IT to GTH and still have them thank you for the privilege. :) I'm sure it changes based on environment, but my sums up my last two DevOPS roles.

Quick way to tell - If someone says they're DevOPS, and Jenkins is missing on the resume, then they probably aren't DevOPS. :) Just having Jenkins doesn't make them DevOPS in and of itself, but its a positive indicator that they lean in the right direction automation wise.

4. CheesyTheClown

Certainly not an increase

A qualified DevOps professional makes $250,000 or more without trying. Qualifications? 12+ years actual development. 5+ years infrastructure engineering (network and server), multiple CCNPs, MCSEs, VCP, storage experience. Let's not forget communication skills, documentation skills and good organization.

I haven't really met more than a few people with the qualifications for DevOps. Of course, I guess many people are happy with just putting words they don't understand on their business card.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Certainly not an increase

CEO level attained?

> multiple CCNPs, MCSEs, VCP, storage experience

okay.jpg

1. CheesyTheClown

Funny... Getting the CCNPs, MCSEs, VCP and storage experience is the part I consider easy. Learning how to use them and getting past the obsessive need to always do things by hand is the hard part. I talk with hundreds of CCNPs and CCIEs every year and most of them will shoot themselves in their foot every time to avoid letting a program handle repetitive tasks better handled by a script.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Trollface

CheesyTheClown? More like SmuggyTheGit, amirite?

1. CheesyTheClown

No, it's realism... if you find someone actually qualified to put DevOps on their card (good luck with that), they should be making a lot more than $100k... $100k for a good MCSE, CCNP or developer is average pay. A qualified person in DevOps probably spent over half a million dollars on their education.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I spend my time getting knowledge, not exchanging my paycheck for little bits of paper.

5. DaveB

DevOps so last year

Come on guys DevOps so last year. Get Cyber Defence in your job title

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old is the new New

I missed this terminology when I went out to get a pizza.

I can recognise similarities, judging from the ElReg/Heise developers knees-up defining "DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and Containerisation" as describing modern Dev-life. Translating, this looks like another iteration of front end, pipe and back-end.

I'm sure we will have outsourced all DevOps activities, anyway, so that will do me for now. For interns it will be a diet of tickets and documentation, unless we have new names for these too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CMS

I'm happy with $300,000 p.a. for communications and mission systems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like