back to article Refined player: Fedora 23's workin' it like Monday morning

OK, it was a slight delay – one week – but the latest Fedora, number 23, represents a significant update that was worth waiting for. That’s thanks not just to upstream projects like GNOME, now at 3.18, but also some impressive new features from team Fedora. Like its predecessor, this Fedora comes in three base configurations …

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Accident waiting to happen.

Once you enter your Google account details interacting with your Drive documents in indistinguishable from local documents

No. No. No. No. No.

No.

Also: No.

1. James 51

Re: Accident waiting to happen.

I know why OS developers put this stuff in but I'd rather have it as an application than baked into the OS. I haven't been able to completely scrub onedrive from Windows yet.

1. GBE

Google Drive is in the OS?!?!

"I know why OS developers put this stuff in but I'd rather have it as an application than baked into the OS."

The article said it was in Nautilus. Nautilus _is_ an application.

1. PNGuinn
          Holmes

Re: Google Drive is in the OS?!?!

"Nautilus _is_ an application."

I thought Nautilus _WAS_ an application.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

At the very least every icon needs a cloud in the corner or a bar across the top of the window saying it's on Google Drive or something.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Nah, just something to indicate that Google is sucking all your data away.

I'm in the no, no and thrice no Camp. What idiot thought that this was a good idea?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not for me, either. I like to keep my on-line and off-line things distinguishable.

My son, however, uses Google drive a lot for his school work (pen drives are old fashioned, it turns out) so this is a killer feature for his use.

4. Matthew Ames

I recommend actually trying the feature before commenting that everything is wrong and the sky is falling in.

Google Drive documents are not *completely* indistinguishable, at all. They exist in their own section in the Nautilus side bar, so you have to specifically click on that location first before you can interact with the files. However, when you do start interacting with files, they do act in a native way. That is, clicking a .ods file will load LibreOffice Calc - as you would expect. It is this to which the author was referring, not some kind of wishy-washy feature whereby you don't know where you documents are stored.

1. Chemist

"However, when you do start interacting with files, they do act in a native way. That is, clicking a .ods file will load LibreOffice Calc - as you would expect"

I do something similar with Dolphin file manager on OpenSUSE only I connect to my own fileserver when traveling via fish protocol (file transfer over ssh) which gives an icon for my fileserver directories within the file manager and likewise an icon for my filespace on my ISP vis ftp. All seamless + NFS icon for use at home.

In response to another post I've used rpms under OpenSUSE/SUSE for years without any issues.

5. PNGuinn
      Megaphone

and NO!

6. P.B. Lecavalier

I'm puzzled that Google Drive gets mentioned as some praiseworthy feature. The dropbox client on Linux has always worked great for me for as long as I had dropbox (even before it could be used on Linux without a browser, better, even before Google Drive existed). At least Dropbox likes to have you think that they don't nose around your data.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

While my tablet, or more accurately the ES File Manager, that I use and actually like seems to cope with multiple accounts for each cloudy provider, it's damn less likely that an OS default file manager to do so. Let alone deal intelligently with a hierarchy. Which is another problem I have with everybody's cloudy bullshit. Useful bullshit but damn annoying that we are ever being shoved into singlet credentials in a mutirole world.

Nice timing in any case as I'm far more likely to accept Fedora madness, especially with OS-role specificity. Perhaps I'll use those accounts as the spins. Don't even get me started on the number of Microsoft accounts I have. Hell, I've a Microsoft beta account whose login is using a GMail ID. All the trimmings except, perhaps, mail. Makes my head hurt thinking about it.

Odd to Fedora land.

2. andy 28

XFCE not very stable

but at least there's feedback copying files. I'll put it aside and come back to it in a few weeks. Not BSOD type of fails but lots of oops something went wrong and settings getting lost/ignored. ymmv etc

3. frank ly

re. Nautilus's ever-declining usability,

Sighs, I know what you mean. Mint's 'Caja' seems to do everything that Nautilus used to do so it might be possible to use it, somehow?

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Korora Project live iso

Hello All

Google the Korora Project. They do a themed Fedora .iso with all the codecs installed ready to go. There is a beta version that is tracking Fedora 23.

Works like the Stella Linux remix for Centos and the microlinux-desktop for Slackware. You get the stock repositories, codec repositories, and a small amount of theme/artwork tweaking.

More of a remix than an original composition.

Icon: people like to play music, watch tubes and even now and again a DVD.

5. Lamb0
    Thumb Up

Chapeau also has a Fedora 23 based live beta

With just a Gnome desktop (unlike the Korora Project’s 5 desktop flavors) this distro features such additions as PlayOnLinux, Wine, Steam, Clam Antivirus, Dropbox integration, Qemu & KVM virtualisation ready to go.

6. John Stoffel

I hope that DNF is as good as apt-get...

As a long time Debian user, but a long time RHEL/CentOS user at work, I still have the hatred of RPMs for some insane reason. I just like how apt-get works... so much better than yum. But this is making me start thinking that I need to play more aggresively with Fedora and see how well it goes.

Esp since I've been installing mint on all my desktops at home, which works a treat!

1. asphytxtc

Re: I hope that DNF is as good as apt-get...

I'll completely agree with you there, I too have been bitten time and time again by anything RPM based. Maybe things have moved on in the years since and the format has stabilised somewhat, rather than being the mystical portal to the murky depths of dependency hell it always was.

To be honest, I should probably give it a go before bad mouthing the entire thing.. but old habits (and bad experiences) die hard..

7. Tromos

A little unfortunate...

...that the package manager is named after an acronym that many will recognise as 'Did Not Finish'

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: A little unfortunate...

..... or

Did not Fire.

<no, I'm not THAT old, but I have a note book from my Ummm ... great great uncle>

8. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Sounds like a good idea

Cockpit's greatest contribution to the server world isn't its ease of use, though: it's that its ease of use means more secure deployments.

And this is enough to make me want to check it out.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GNOME 3 = Mental illness

No minimise and maximise buttons for windows? No thanks!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: GNOME 3 = Mental illness

Adding superfluous "features" and ignoring basic user-interface necessities is GNOME to a tee. Is it any wonder they jumped on board the systemd bandwagon? The perpetual feature-creep and "we know best what you want, don't argue" attitude are both right up their alley.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re GNOME "Adding superfluous "features" and ignoring basic user-interface necessities... [] ... The perpetual feature-creep and "we know best what you want, don't argue" attitude..."

That's theft of intellectual property and/or a copygight violation - MS has patents on that, y'know.

2. sterndata

Easily enabled via gnome-tweak-tool

1. PNGuinn
        WTF?

Re: GNOME 3 = Mental illness @ sterndata

No thanks - there must be far nicer ways to achieve mental illness than gnome / systemd.

3. DN4

GNOME 3 is pretty braindead, but minimise buttons? Come on. Their only purpose was to placate Win 3.11 users. If you are looking for minimise button you do not have enough virtual desktops - or are not using them right.

10. sterndata

Smooth upgrade from F22

The upgrade via DNF from Fedora 22 was quite smooth -- started it, went away for a few hours, did the second step (reboot), came back a couple of hours later and it was all working.

On the plus side, Wayland now works for me. On the minus side, Rhythmbox is a total mess. (I've switched to Amarok.)

Google integration is OK... not sure I need it, but it works and either opens a browser (for native Google docs) or a local app for things that can be handled locally. The Google files and documents do not show music I've uploaded via Google Music Manager. That would be nice.

Gnome 3.18 is very nice. I've got a desktop configured to be a cross between Windows XP and OS/X, which makes me happy.

11. herman

Wot? Nautilus still does something?

12. Rod 6

fedora is amazing

been using it for years. Just a shame about gnome and now how every new version the apps seem to get worse and worse. Take gedit for example, it was an amazing text editor. Then then they borked last release of fedora

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: fedora is amazing

@Rod6

Kate kicked gedit in the head, I think the ref is at 7.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like