back to article Home Office unveils tagtastic immigrant control plans

Detained illegal immigrants are the latest to fall victim to the Home Office's bizarre love affair with electronic tagging. The draft immigration and citizenship bill, published this week, puts forwards proposals for "large" but unspecified bail bonds along with tagging as an alternative to detention. The proposed "immigration …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash
    Joke

Detention in the community

Only a Stanley Knife or a bolt cutter away from Freedom in the Community.

Joke Alert as this scheme cannot be serious...

2. Gordon Pryra
    Flame

Why not just outsoure the immigrants?

Rent space in India, and set up out camps there.

Its far far cheaper to send someone to India than it is to pay for a tagging device.

They can also code for Barclays to pay for their food and transport (once they have paid of the trafficers etc)

3. Nano nano

Sticks

I've seen Ray Mears, "Making (a) Fire Stick" ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happened to the Nottingham guy?

The one who was arrested for reading the Al Qaeda document from the Us.gov website (as part of his studies), was squeeled on by the University, then released, cos it was dumb, then rearrested on visa irregularities, and was due at a magistrate court in July.

But then the newspapers got wind of the story and he was to be quickly ejected from the country before his trial to prevent him putting his side of the visa paperwork problem and making HMGov look bad.

Whatever happened to him?

And did he have sufficient car insurance? Because lack of car insurance causes crashes! I know, my house fell down the other day, I didn't have home insurance, so that must be the cause. Wibbly wobbly tymy whymy....

5. Colin Millar
    Unhappy

Government by powerpoint

This is just the bi-annual rearranging of the action bullet points which stands for innovative thinking in government these days.

6. RW
    Boffin

@ Colin Millar

Edward Tufte wrote a screed on the cognitive effects of Powerpoint that is worth seeking out. Google

"edward tufte" powerpoint

for lots of luscious links.

I've not myself read Tufte's remarks on Powerpoint, but other books of his were my constant companions before retirement. You might summarize his main thesis as "presenting information graphically is extremely difficult and far too often failed attempts are long on bling and very, very short on provoking serious thinking." I imagine that statement applies to his remarks on Powerpoint as well.

The matter is considerably more serious than the usual flicking of bits of chicken shit at NuLab. There are hosts of decision makers in all spheres of life who have become so used to such canned presentations that they no longer have, if they ever did, the ability to follow an argument of any complexity; or to balance conflicting pluses and minuses of a proposed course of action; or to understand issues relating to "unexpected side effects."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offshoring Immigration, genius

That would probably work, we could call them colonies, and we could send over a Governor of good British stock, we could lay down the laws of the colonies, they could work on agriculture, and send food back to good ole blighty.

We could even train them ala the French Foreign Legion or the Gurkhas, and they could provide a foreign army for our off shore Enterprises (Empire for short). British business could use the colonies as place to expand to, further upping our economy and making the Colonies little pockets of paradise.

8. Pyros
    Coat

So...

Are we gonna see any nature shows about the lifecycle of illegal immigrants? I mean, if we're gonna tag them, we might as well do a hidden-cam reality show for it!

Mine's the one with a DVD copy of "Mexican Manor: Season 1" in it...

9. Mark

Improvements

The Tories 'even tougher' riposte will probably be tags welded to the genitals that detonate spectacularly should the said illegal miss his plane by 12 hours.

That'll learn 'em.

10. Rob Cooper
    Paris Hilton

Another Waste of Taxpayers Money

Or you could just deport them outright.

Come back when you have a visa, or we will deport you again.

Its not rocket science. You are not supposed to be here. Go home.

Paris because she thinks like our government. Not much.

11. Colin Millar
    Thumb Up

@ RW

That Edward Tufte article should be rammed down the throat of high level decision makers. I especially hate the practice of doing all the CYA stuff at bullet level six font size 60% (H1 = 200%)

The phrase from people that control multi-million pound budgets that drives me madder than a sack full of ferrets - "I need the idiots guide to this"

12. Ian McNee
    Flame

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...

...and I'll lock them up for you. Now if they've got a few bob that's another matter...might even chuck in a peerage if they're photogenic and agree to vote New Labour (tm)"

Jacqui "Clink" Smith

This topic is closed for new posts.