Where's Worstall/Weekend Edition?

This topic was created by Gordon 10 .

1. Gordon 10

Where's Worstall/Weekend Edition?

Hey El Reg,

Whats happened to Tim Worstall for the last 3 columns?

Also it appears that apart from the Doctor Who review the weekend edition has bitten the dust?

No BOFH since 25 Sept either - though BOFH outages aren't that unusual.

2. Tim Worstal

Worstall no longer writes a weekend column for El Reg. Thus there's nothing missing.

And just to make my, Worstall's, opinion of this clear. El Ed has an absolute right to deploy his resources, his freelance budget, as he sees fit. I thoroughly enjoyed writing for y'all and also have no complaint whatsoever about El Ed deciding it's something that didn't quite work out as perhaps hoped.

1. Swarthy
      WTF?

But...

But where is the rest of the weekend edition?! I miss the post-pub nosh neckfiller.

..And related, what happened to Lewis Page? I gather he left, but there is usually a Site News article when a notable contributor leaves; or there is a significant shift. There was when Page and Orlowski took the helm as Editor and Executive Editor; there was when the Moderatrix was leaving.

Why not when two of the most observable, commented upon authors depart is there not a blip?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

Lester writes the Post-pub nosh neckfillers. He has just completed the second round and is taking a break. I think there was a year or more between the first lot of neckfillers and the second lot.

Tim is a freelancer and writes for many publications. We have never had a sign-off article for freelancers - for one thing they might write for us again.

I have no recollection of article announcing Lewis and Andrew jobs. Are you sure about this?

On valedictory articles - some writers do them, some don't. We do not have a policy on this.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Thumb Up

Sorry to see you go Tim. Your pieces were interesting, well argued and fun to read. As well as sparking lots of good discussion afterwards. So I'd have thought you generated your fair share of clicks. On the other hand, I broadly agree with you on economics, and maybe El Reg needed someone from the other side as well, to not annoy the more "lefty" readership?

Anyway I accidentally discovered you were on Forbes, while reading Frances Coppola about Eurozone v Greece round 15, in June. There don't seem to be many comments on there though. No commentard bunfight to join in.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Worst of all worlds

(see what I did)

TW,

I didn't always agree with your positions but you were always worth reading.

El Reg is worse off for your absence.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Unhappy

All of this pales in comparison to the lack of Dabbs. Where's he gone? And more to the point, is he coming back?

This kind of change must be announced beforehand, with an offering of counselling for affected commentards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alistair Dabbs is still here.

Sometimes he takes holidays.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Alistair Dabbs is still here.

You normally replay one of his greatest hits. As it is I thought he'd been made surplus to requirements along with the rest of the Weekend Edition.

FWIW I quite liked the book, cinema, and car reviews, and occasional long-read techy feature (how to build a...).

1. Mike Taylor

Longer pieces

The longer pieces were a particular joy of mine. I think there's something inherently geeky in appreciating good writing by an expert extolling the virtues of their field, and showing it off. Although I can't do bugger all with a car apart from drive it, and will probably never buy a new one, I love reading good motoring journalism, and some of the expert pieces you've had about building cars have really chimed for me. No doubt there are plenty of places to read that kind of thing, but - for me at least - El Reg's reputation tells me that an article is going to be worth reading. And I'll add to that your coverage of science (noted elsewhere) - I really appreciate that your journos stay sober long enough to write a subject up properly, and not just re-vamp the press release. Also noted elsewhere - for various reasons - linking to the DOI of an article would drive traffic in your direction.

4. Mike Taylor

Farewell then?

I am sorry the the weekend edition seems to be dead. It was becoming part of my routine. Shall miss Tim too, even if i am a bleeding heart leftie, i like a good debate.

5. jake Silver badge

More to the point ...

... where the hell is Stob?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More to the point ...

Verity Stob is very occasional contributor but that is her choice

1. jake Silver badge

Re: More to the point ...

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss Tim's work, but Verity is the author who dragged me here in the first place. I used to read her in Dr. Dobbs Journal, the only early computer rag that I have a complete collection of.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

@ Gordon 10

If you miss Tim, he still has his webpage/blog:

http://timworstall.com/

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Pint

Re: @ Gordon 10

He also writes for Forbes on occasion...

7. Alan Sharkey

Very quiet

Where was everyone? Only two articles over the whole weekend - and one of them was a Dr Who review....

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Very quiet

The Weekend Edition had a good fun run, it must be said. Nothing like a little downtime at the end of the week to cover non-IT stuff.

Having said that, we've rejigged our output to better focus on the weekdays, essentially pouring as much of our energy into what we do during the week when most people are looking at the site.

Dabbs, On-Call etc that used to appear on Saturdays and Sundays now appear on Friday before everyone fscks off to the pub/family/suburbia/mountain-top-HQ. Doctor Who review appears after its airing on Saturday evening BBC TV.

Of course, if anything big happens over the weekend - devastating earthquake in Silicon Valley, Facebook hacked, etc - we'll be here to cover it.

C.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And what happened to the caption competition? I was hoping somebody would do the leg-work of going through 10 pages of crap to find the funny ones for me to snigger at.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon