back to article MoD-founded firm Niteworks loses login creds of UK defence folk

Terrible infosec practices at Niteworks, the MoD-established business networking organisation, have led to unknown attackers gaining email addresses and passwords of British defence community members. An email seen by The Register, sent to Niteworks' network members, confessed that "the database holding the login information …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Could someone please produce a TV series that is set in the IT department of the MoD? Sort of the IT Crowd meets Dad's Army (no, better go for MASH, gotta be able to sell it to a US network) meets Yes Minister. Should write itself really, all you'd need is follow the news for a bit.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You mean Spooks ins't a fly-on-the-wall documentary ?

2. frank ly

Don't tell him your username Pike!

1. TheRealRoland

I'll tell mum. Mum won't like it, Uncle Arthur.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having worked with Niteworks - well paid managers sacrosanct, doers on the bottom, I can well believe this.

1. Fraggle850

*sigh* sounds all too familiar

Not the sole preserve of government and their agencies but I suspect far more prevalent there

4. Fraggle850

You couldn't make it up

Unencrypted user details on a site linked to the British military? Have we still not got past lions led by donkeys?

I particularly liked '...no HMG sensitive information has been compromised', phew, so that's okay then. Asshats. The user details they've lost could put be to use in account hijacking, social hacks, etc. Given that the users all work in the defence sector might that not possibly lead to other, more sensitive accounts being compromised?

I bet ISIS have better infosec than our military.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slow news day?

I'm not familiar with this particular site, but I used to use something I assume was very similar.

An onanistic self-congratulatory yawn-fest of "marketing collateral" and PowerPoint.

If you want to find out who works in Defence - you'll find them boasting about their level of security clearance all over LinkedIn, even though they're told not to.

1. ZSn

Not just that sometimes you can see them boasting about what sensitive projects they are working on. I wonder just what aggregate information is available to someone willing to mine LinkedIn

6. cantankerous swineherd

so these criminals are to be prosecuted for endangering the security of our great nation, existentially threatened as it is by schoolgirls with one way tickets to Syria?

tell me I'm dreaming...

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Okay then

"You are dreaming."

7. Captain Badmouth
    Happy

Name Change

Following a recent security lapse, the business networking organisation Niteworks has decided on a makeover which includes a name change to distance itself from the above mentioned embarrassment. They have decided the new name "Shiteworks" is far more professional sounding and confidence-inspiring.

1. Trainee grumpy old ****

Re: Name Change

"Niteworks"? With a name like that do they belong to the Seamstresses Guild?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like