back to article Now we know why Philae phouled up comet landing

Exactly a year ago, mankind's first ever attempt to land on a comet did not go according to plan - and the European Space Agency (ESA) has just released a report explaining why. The Philae lander was carried for 10 years on the Rosetta probe as it built up speed and approached Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. But when it was …

1. MrDamage Silver badge
    Coat

Dodgy Seal

I thought it was customary to use land going animals for space experiments, not sea going ones.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Dodgy Seal

Too much clubbing, perhaps?

My guess is the explosives. There can't be a lot of data on the longtime effects/processes in explosives in spaaace. Ten years might be even longer than the typical shelf life of the type of explosives used.

"As with all highly energetic substances, explosives are not perfectly stable - their safety and functional features change during ageing. The extent of chemical instability strongly depends on the chemical structure of the explosive - aromatic and aliphatic nitro compounds, secondary nitramines, and organic azides are relatively stable, whereas aliphatic nitrate esters suffer from much lower stability. The rate of ageing of an explosive can be strongly accelerated by incompatibility reactions between the explosive and contact materials." from "Chemical Stability, Compatibility and Shelf Life of Explosives" by Beat Vogelsanger http://www.researchgate.net/publication/233695161_Chemical_Stability_Compatibility_and_Shelf_Life_of_Explosives

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Too much clubbing, perhaps?

Do you reckon it's the drugs, the booze or just being knackered from dancing all night that caused the problem?

Seal. Club. Put it together. Hint: nothing to do with night clubs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not arf...

3. MrT

Kiss From a Rosetta...

"People Get Ready, at the moment I Fly Like an Eagle around Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, listening for Philae, hoping It's Alright. Crazy? Soon, though, A Change is Gonna Come, and instead of Wishing on a Star I'll be setting course for 67P to Lean On Me. Don't Cry, just offer up a Prayer for the Dying as I get ready for the comet's Touch..."

Wrong Seal...?

1. Gordon 10
        Coat

Re: Kiss From a Rosetta...

When Rosetta lands will it get a Kiss On The Nose from a grey?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "a Kiss On The Nose from a grey?"

hah! very good!

4. AbelSoul
      Trollface

You mean this chap?

2. Captain DaFt

In a million year's time:

Some space-faring race will wonder why a totally uninteresting, common yellow star warranted someone planting so many probes on its orbiting bodies.

Re: In a million year's time:

THE SPACE PEOPLE: Space People read our mail. The Space People think that TV news programs are comedies, and that soap operas are news. The Space People will contact us when they can make money by doing so. The Space People think factories are musical instruments. They sing along with them. Each song lasts from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. No music on weekends.

(Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" liner notes)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Astonishing

It's taken an almighty kicking and they are still going to see if they can get the orbiter working.

IMpressive.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: Astonishing = Incredible

I would have though that any adjective in the description of the mission would be best left out. That way the reader can allow credit were it is due. In this case all they got right was funding (possibly.) It was another exploration of failure as far as it goes; which is not as far as it was expected to. Some say.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Mushroom

Re: Astonishing = Incredible @ I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

You think that completing 80% of the planned experiments successfully counts as a failure?

I wonder if as many as 80% of the specific projects on which you approve spending are successful.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Astonishing = Incredible

Isn't 80% a passing grade in Universities (UK) too?

Calling things like this a failure is a complete lack of perspective. They sent a tiny probe on a 10 year journey to a 2.5 mile wide asteroid 490 million KM from Earth, travelling at 84,000mph. Just getting there is an amazing achievement.

The fact they then landed a probe with a broken landing mechanism on it and managed to complete 80% of the planned experiments. Go watch the linked video, look at the abuse that thing took, that it worked at all is unbelievable.

Considering the goal and setbacks, this has been a massive success.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Extended warranty claim?

I hope they kept their receipt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Extended warranty claim?

Sadly they only paid for.return to base, not on-site.

5. Tim Roberts 1

to all the naysayers ....

Yes, the original mission did not go as planned - hey we are talking an extremely hostile environment in space.

The mission in my estimation was a success - but of course there will be the obese lounge lizard with a drone who coulda' - woulda' - shoulda' done it better if he'd been asked.

This kind of mission was the stuff of dreams in my boyhood and I'm stoked that I've been alive to see it happen.

Cut the mission operators some slack and if you think you can do better/cheaper then give Kickstarter a try!

As my old Dad would have said - " Well done that man"

My 2c worth - keep the change naysayers.

1. JetSetJim
      Thumb Up

Re: to all the naysayers ....

Heartily agree, this is rocket science, after all.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Not rocket science. Rocket science is easy.

Rocket _engineering_ is the hard part.

2. SecretSonOfHG

Indeed. We tend to recall only the successes in space exploration and forget about the mishaps. And this mission, while not 100% perfect, has performed some amazing tricks and delivered interesting science results. Plus the valuable learnings for future attempts.

Hats off to ESA and all other agencies involved (yes, NASA had some instruments on board too)

3. Bob H

As the committee that reviewed my dissertation said: "it isn't a failure if you learnt from what happened."

Yes, it didn't work as planned, but if you learnt a great deal more than you expected to then that study alone raises humankind further.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Headmaster

"As the committee that reviewed my dissertation said: "it isn't a failure if you learnt from what happened."

I hope they they said "learned"

4. A K Stiles
      Pint

Actually, the original mission did go as planned - they got Rosetta to catch up with and orbit the comet, photographing it and otherwise analysing the near environment. They also managed to achieve 80% of what they hoped on a never before tried idea that was a secondary, bonus mission, which they said from the beginning (10+ years ago) would be 'nice if it worked'. Well done those engineers and scientists involved in this whole affair. Have several on me.

5. Fatman

If at first, you don't succeed....

Try

Try

Again!!!

(Is the 'second' time the charm?)

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

I will be looking forward to the last stages

of this epic project.

Well done those boffins!

7. John G Imrie

Rocket science Rule One

If your mission went 100% according to plan, you have missed something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rocket science Rule One

If any research mission of any kind goes 100% according to plan, you haven't really learnt anything.

8. cray74
    Pint

80% of experiments accomplished

When just about every landing system fails, you crash into some nook or cranny, or a cranny that's a nook, and remain hidden for over a year, and half your transmitters and receivers are failing, and still deliver 80% of your science goals...

Yeah, have a beer on me.

9. Mark 85
    Pint

No matter how you look at it...

this is amazing stuff. Have cold one ESA. In fact have several.

10. TonyK

Wipeout

The plain fact is, the primary mission was an almost total failure. It's like those snowboarding tournaments where the competitors do an ecstatic victory salute no matter how badly they performed. I have every sympathy for all those engineers, but their baby wiped out.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: Wipeout

You sir are talking abject sense have complimentary downvote on me. Well done.

To all those startwreck fans who have personalised landers up their jacksies, may I point out what we really have learned:

If anyone is going to Mars in one of their machines get a note from the doctor telling you you have terminal cancer first. It will be a shame to waste a pilot on another dud.

2. My-Handle

Re: Wipeout

A "wipe out" would have been the rocket blowing up on the launch pad. A "wipe out" would have been losing contact with the probe before setting it on course to encounter the comet. A "wipe out" would have been the probe being hit and destroyed by a micrometeorite, critical degradation, radiation damage etc on it's 10 year journey to the comet. It would have been failing to achieve orbit around an object with exceptionally low gravity (like "sneeze to achieve escape velocity" low), or scoring a direct hit on it at speed.

Rosetta, the probe, got there without any of these issues.

Philae, in some manner, obviously did degrade or get damaged in the 10 year journey. The operators knew this before they launched it. They could have just not bothered launching it, but having gotten there they might as well try, right? Yes, it didn't land right. Considering they were working with a damaged lander, trying to land it on an unidentified surface (as far as they knew, the surface could have been made of anything from loose gravel to a hard chunk of ice with a veneer of dust) by remote control with significant signal lag (20 minutes? I forget), I wouldn't think of blaming anyone. That it still managed to get 80% of it's workload done even in these conditions is so far beyond amazing that I'm lost for words to describe it. To paraphrase Voltaire, "Perfect is the enemy of progress"

I didn't manage to get 80% of my workload done yesterday...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like