back to article Glowing dust doughnut circles white dwarf

Extremely patient astroboffins have put together the first image of debris rings around a white dwarf, obtained over 12 years of Very Large Telescope observations. Researchers led by Christopher Manser of the University of Warwick’s Astronomy and Astrophysics Group used Doppler tomography* to snap the rings of SDSS1228+1040, …

1. Yugguy

Awesome

I love this stuff.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Radii confusion

Why is 0.2 RSun outside 0.64 RSun ?

1. Stoneshop
      FAIL

Re: Radii confusion

You may have read the article, but either you missed a few relevant sentences, or you failed to understand them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, I guess I did not understand the relevant sentence, namely: 'The picture features a couple of solar radii fractions for scale, "corresponding to material in circular orbits at two different distances from the star"'

I do not understand how that explains why the larger radius is outside the smaller radius.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah, wait.

The RSun values are the radii of the material, not the distance at which it orbits ( which is not mentioned ).

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Actually, the Doppler tomograph shows the velocities of the materials in different directions. Faster things (further away from centre) are objects in a tighter orbit. Hence the remark of an "inside out" image.

Thumbs up to the astroboffins for capturing all this detail

1. cray74

Actually, the Doppler tomograph shows the velocities of the materials in different directions. Faster things (further away from centre) are objects in a tighter orbit.

Ah, got it now. Having distance values on a velocity plot threw me.

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"The RSun values are the radii of the material, not the distance at which it orbits ( which is not mentioned )."

Many thanks for that - I thought my brain had melted as I tried to imagine an inside out picture ...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Aha 2.

Here's a site that is scientific enough to link to the graph **with its bloody axes** (*)

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/051/404/i02/VLT-Map-White-Dwarf.jpg?1447211707

(*)Not to be confused with "bloody axes", of course.

3. Stoneshop

The RSun values are the radii of the material, not the distance at which it orbits ( which is not mentioned ).

The two circles show the orbital radius of stuff circling the white dwarf at a particular speed, compared to the radius of our sun. Further out on the speed map means higher orbital speed, hence a tighter orbit; it does take a bit of geometrical gymnastics to go from this to a "normal" view of the dust cloud.

Size (or rather, mass) of the debris particles doesn't really enter into it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This God geezer, he's been a busy lad

Imagine that, creating all this stuff, much of which we have little chance of ever discovering.

Especially when he gave us such poor vision.

But fair dues, He's certainly shown his dedication in universe construction.

The detail, the detail. It's all in the detail.

</snark>

1. Ogi

Re: This God geezer, he's been a busy lad

Paaah, a real god just sets the initial parameters of the universe, and lets it evolve to include what he wants in it :-) .

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Then we just need a REAL god, I guess.

2. Yugguy

"much of which we have little chance of ever discovering."

Genesis 11:

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them"

4. Kevin Perry

Grammar

You can't be "7 times smaller", you can be 1/7 the size or 7 times larger.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: Grammar

You can't be "7 times smaller", you can be 1/7 the size or 7 times larger.

Actually a term coined in the land of US marketing I believe to make something look better than it is ... In the same way that DFS, SCS, Shoddy-Goods-R-Us et al have an 'up to half price' sale where the cost price of a piece of tat is actually half price or above, never below.

1. Bleu

Re: Grammar

Having to work with such imprecision is a truly taxing thing, votes for both of you.

5. Tom 7

"Astroboffins grab first image of pulverised asteroid disks"

But they haven't.

1. Bleu

Re: "Astroboffins grab first image of pulverised asteroid disks"

I agree that it is in no sense an image of a disc. More like a horseshoe.

Too tired to think about exactly what Tom 7 means by 'but they haven't', but it is supposed to be a map of mass-velocity.

However, I do know that Tom 7 is not stupid, so pls, explain what you mean by 'but they haven't'.

I will say something else they do not: in this kind of astronomy, there is a kind of 'King's or Queen's new clothes' effect.

Many of the engineers, programmers, and mathematicians who work on these things

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Bleu

have a pretty good idea of what they are looking for.

There is an upper layer of 'science' bureaucrats who claim the credit.

Same goes for particle physics.

3. Tom 7

Its not an image of the disk. Its a MAP of mass-velocity.

An image of me has eyes and hair and cool t-shirts - it does not consist of a fat blob in the middle doing nothing.

Oh hang on...

6. Stoneshop

The dust cloud is not completely enclosing the star

So it's not Krikkit.

1. Bleu

ちRe: The dust cloud is not completely enclosing the star

Krikkit is the region formerly known as British isles, the dust clouds are cloudy weather.

Much better book than the original Hitchhiker's, where the general plot and many details were directly stolen from Venus on the Half-Shell.

I like the way Adams's japes in the later book are also applicable to Japan.

Only difference, we never got cricket! There are only seven fields in the whole country.

This is a big mistake of the English, they did not popularise the game.

So we have the Spalding-created baseball, not as interesting, I think. I hear it is based on the earlier game, rounders.

We hate the IOC for dumping softball, how many women are playing baseball?

1. PapaD

Re: ちThe dust cloud is not completely enclosing the star

Totally off topic but

Its entirely believable that the reason that cricket never became popular in the US is because you had a war with us Brits, and decided to throw out everything that was considered British :)

Its popular in a lot of the rest of the world

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like