back to article Tim Cook: UK crypto backdoors would lead to 'dire consequences'

Apple boss Tim Cook has once again warned of what he says would be the "dire consequences" of opening up backdoors to allow spies to access our data. He said it would be wrong for the UK government's latest super-spy bid – the draft Investigatory Powers Bill, which landed in Parliament last week – to weaken cryptography. Cook …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so....

Apple is all bad then?

But think logically for a moment and then....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: and then....

Try and express yourself in a way that people might be able to understand?

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

If you think some Reg commentards are bad...

... then take a look at the comments section under the linked Telegraph article. Often homophobic, cherry-picking, or just plain ignoring Apple's strong financials - which I would have thought were as objective measure as any. Strewth. They were more reminiscent of the comments made under a Youtube video than 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' or 'Major Smith-Smythe-Smith (Retd)'.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: If you think some Reg commentards are bad...

yeah lots of love fro the fruity Co there (not)

Have all the haters from here moved to the Torygraph then?

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Have all the haters from here moved to the Torygraph then?

I still hate!!!

1. dan1980

@sabroni

Me too, damn it!

Who are we hating now? I don't really mind as I already hate most people, things and places; I just like to have a name to mutter under my breath as I stare pointedly off into the middle-distance with deep loathing and infinite contempt.

It also allows me to (temporarily) divert my focus from Microsoft, with their recent Windows 10 intrusions, OneDrive bait-and-switch and the fantastically self-serving decision to remove the ability to manually setup Office 2016 to connect to an Exchange server. No auto-discover? Come back 1 year.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"...Microsoft, with their recent Windows 10 intrusions, OneDrive bait-and-switch and the fantastically self-serving decision to remove the ability to manually setup Office 2016 to connect to an Exchange server. No auto-discover? Come back 1 year..."

Okay, now I gotta ask...do I have multiple personality disorder and are you one of my split personalities? Because that was eerily dead on.

Also: if you're the other occupant of this hideous shell, mind putting the cap back on the toothpaste at night, mate? I mean, really...

1. dan1980

@Trevor_Pott

As long as you turn off the iron in the morning . . .

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

ONE TIME and I never let me live it down...

2. Elf

And stop leaving the pantry door open.

2. Naselus

Re: If you think some Reg commentards are bad...

"Have all the haters from here moved to the Torygraph then?"

Nope, I still hate Apple.

But just because I hate them for selling overpriced, simplified garbage doesn't mean I'll automatically disagree when Tim Cook opens his mouth. When he's talking sense, I'll put aside the fact that I loathe his business and agree with him.

UK.Gov have basically managed to do the unthinkable, and make Mac and PC fans work together on something.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weak crypto

There's no such thing as weak(ened) and strong crypto.

Maybe those terms had some meaning in the 90s, but now there is just crypto and not-crypto.

1. Mike Bell

Re: Weak crypto

Yes there is. There are many cryptographic libraries in existence, and some are much weaker than others due to inherent flaws that have been cracked. Do a search for POODLE and SSL 3, for example.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

....and so you miss the point, if it has inherent flaws or has been cracked then it is NOT crypto, just obfuscation....

if it's easier for you to understand..... there are only two types of crypto, strong crypto and broken crypto... and broken crypto isn't crypto at all.... so there is in fact only one type of crypto, as the OP stated.....

1. Mike Bell

Don't apply for a job with the OED. Now, if there are any positions for pedantic misinformed twats around...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@A/C

I think things are more nuanced than you imply. For a start some of the problems we've seen recently were implementation problems, Heartbleed for example. Then there's the question of computational resources and message value & currency.

Consider, for example that an announcement is due to be made tomorrow which will affect a company's share price. If you could get the content now you could make a killing but the message is encrypted with a system it would take you until next week to decrypt then you won't get any benefit. If it used a system you could decrypt in the next minute you could. According to your definition both would be broken but one is strong enough to do the job it's used for and the other isn't.

2. dan1980

@massivelySerial

"There's no such thing as weak(ened) and strong crypto."

The accuracy of that statement depends on what you define as 'crypto'. I mean, a substitution cipher is still encryption, but it is spectacularly weak encryption. But, moving beyond something so simple and into, as you imply, modern cryptography, we have to consider the parts involved.

A modern cryptographic system includes many different components, depending on the desired use, so it is important to define what part is being discussed at any given time.

Heartbleed, for example, does not (inherently) mean that TLS is 'weak' because it does not exploit problems in TLS so much as bugs in the OpenSSL software. A Microsoft PC accessing an Microsoft IIS-hosted website through Internet Explorer is utterly unaffected by this exploit because none of those components rely on the OpenSSL libraries.

Yes, the security of modern cryptographic systems depend on the security of each and every part involved but one must consider these components individually as well and each of these as well and, moreover, be specific about which you are talking about at any given time.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iCloud ransacked?

Nope, some famous people got their passwords stolen - no systems were compromised, at all.

Social engineering (people) will always be the weakest link.

5. Thomas Wolf

Why is article trying to stir controversy?

I know The Register has a decidedly anti-Apple following, so perhaps the reason for the article's statement "...while failing to note that Apple's own iCloud servers had been ransacked late last year" was to address its fan base? Because I can't see another purpose. Why, exactly, is it a "failure" by Tim Cook to not mention every single security bug that has been found in its products prior to making a statement about security/privacy? *Obviously* all software has bugs. Are you suggesting that whenever he talks about any software related subject, he should first give his audience a run-down on every one of the thousands of open bugs in his various products - otherwise he's "failing" his audience? Ridiculous.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is article trying to stir controversy?

You must be new here.

Apple is here to be shot down in flames.

Speaking logically and using the word Apple in the same post is really frowned upon here and is pretty well sure to garner a load of downvotes.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It's actually more nuanced than AC makes out.... reports of Apple-related rumours and whatnot are delivered in a snarky style, whereas Apple products are reviewed here in an even-handed manner.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I couldn't care less who says it as the words are thoroughly justified against this vicious assault on our personal liberties and privacy.

What a useless twerp Andy Burnham is just rolling over and saying tickle my tummy on the Government's Stalin Bill and where the hell is Grandad Corbyn in all this ? Totally conspicuous by his silence.

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: where the hell is Grandad Corbyn in all this ?

Yeah, why moan at the government when you can take a pointless swipe at the opposition? I notice no smartarse comments about pig fucker Dave.

6. Tim 11

the bleedin' obvious

what's sad is that it's newsworthy when someone has to say this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the bleedin' obvious

Tim Cook and Apple are hardly alone in saying this, nearly every tech company CEO would agree. What is unique is how Apple publicly announced making changes to iOS to eliminate the possibility of getting access to a user's iPhone or their iMessage content, even with a warrant. That was a pretty public thumbing of the nose at the authorities in favor of individual users' right to privacy.

7. Your alien overlord - fear me

"We have also never allowed access to our servers." - he should have added "knowingly". They (NSA etc.) have 0-day exploits which I'm sure are valid for tapping servers as well as smart phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They (NSA etc.) have 0-day exploits which I'm sure are valid for tapping servers as well as smart phones.

If you are so sure, do please provide us with the evidence

1. Captain DaFt

Citation provided:

http://www.eweek.com/security/nsa-catalog-lists-vulnerabilities-to-exploit-networking-gear-report.html

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Citation provided:

Just because they have vulnerabilities available to them doesn't mean they can break into everyone's network. Most would be protected via multiple layers from the outside, with two firewalls, with maybe a VPN in between.

Anyway, since Apple does not hold the keys to user's phones any longer nor are in they in the middle of or hold the keys to user's iMessage conversations, even if the NSA can access Apple's servers without their knowledge the data the NSA can collect from Apple is limited compared to what they could get from Google (since Google collects all that information so they can "provide better search results and more targeted ads")

2. Vic

"We have also never allowed access to our servers." - he should have added "knowingly"

The more interesting bit, IMO, was the "and we never will" at the end; although I have no doubt Apple will do absolutely everything in their power to prevent the spooks getting into their servers, the deck is stacked against them. The Patriot Act really doesn't let them follow through on this promise...

Vic.

8. phil dude
    FAIL

incarceration for talking...

the problem that is most concerning, is the "prison if you notice the backdoors". If you were involved in putting the backdoor in place, they will argue it is legal, "because govt".

But if someone finds a backdoor, it is a prison sentence if you disclose it.

We need to get the RSA t-shirts out again, and add QR codes for public keys on them!

P.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: incarceration for talking...

I was with you until you mentioned QR codes. In my mind they are as insecure as shortened URL's.

1. phil dude
        Coat

Re: incarceration for talking...

The point is you put *your* public key as a QR code, so that you can be sent private messages, even if Big Brother doesn't want you too!

I mean, it is a T-shirt after all...;-)

P.

9. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

No They Weren't...

"On Monday, Cook pointed out that data breaches were "becoming more frequent", while failing to note that Apple's own iCloud servers had been ransacked late last year."

That is a deliberate, willfully IGNORANT statement. A new trait of The Register?

For those who care, what got 'ransacked' were Apple users who fell for phishing scams and ordinary dictionary attacks on their individual accounts. That problem has been ongoing for years and is of course not confined to Apple, or Facebook, or Twitter, or the banks, etc.

Incredible FAIL Kelly Fiveash. Let's stick to the facts about computer security, not the myths, not the ignorant memes, not stupid statements spread by stupid 'analysts'.

10. dan1980

Just from the words quoted in this article, I applaud Mr Cook for the straight-forward, plain language way he has expressed this.

Not that others haven't before, of course, but I this is well put:

"If you halt or weaken encryption, the people you hurt are not the folks that want to do bad things. It’s the good people. The other people know where to go."

This is really one of the core problems. You can argue any of the other points about the downsides of these laws and thus why the price for this is far too high but even if there was next-to-no impact on ordinary civilians and businesses, the plan still wouldn't achieve the stated goals!

So, even if, somehow, they manage to address every possible concern and again, somehow, manage to make the protections ironclad then that will great and all, but it still won't f%$king work!

By analogy, you can imagine these proposed measures and laws as a proposal to put some new buses on the roads. These buses are slow, noisy, exceptionally fuel-inefficient, generate copious amounts of pollution and take up two lanes each, disrupting normal commuter traffic.

So, people complain that the buses are utterly unsuited and will have a big negative impact.

But, regardless of all that, however, the buses are run on roads that have no bus stops or footpaths or pedestrian traffic and have no seats or doors or even room to stand and so would useless for ferrying passengers anyway. So really, even if the buses we reworked such that all the concerns about efficiency and pollution and congestion were addressed and solved, the buses would still be pointless and it would be a big fat waste of time and money.

1. stanimir

Useless bus? @dan

"The war on terror" has been around for more than a decade.

I doubt very much the proposed bill has anything to do w/ thwarting bad guys.Also I doubt the politicians are that gullible to believe it. It's a very efficient way to control the general population, though.It offers perfect blackmail and industrial espionage opportunities.

OTOH, I hope such ill devised bill/laws will drive end-to-end encryption en masse. Of course, it's a lot harder solution and has its own issues.

1. JohnMurray

Re: Useless bus? @dan

Quite right. The powers-that-be, and their owners, couldn't give a rats arse about terrorists, they're much more worried about the massed billions getting peed-off with being used as cannon/bank fodder and heading in their direction with pitchforks (suitably coated with cow/pig dung previously)

2. Richard 126

Re: Useless bus? @dan

"The war on terror" has been around for more than a decade,

It is The War Against Terror (TWAT) So called because it is run by a bunch of twats.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like