back to article Google takes old Chrome versions on that long drive in the country

Google has given Windows XP and old versions of Apple OS X their marching orders. Support for the ancient (in the case of XP) / no-longer-supported (OS X Mountain Lion and older) operating systems will end in April 2016. The Chocolate Factory announced the decision here. Google's original EOL date for XP was to be April 2015 …

1. msknight

New Chrome, same old problems

You know, even after selecting the English UK dictionary in Chrome (and being unable to get rid of the extra "English" entry) - and also doing the same in Docs... I still can't get either Chrome or Docs to flag up American spellings. Seriously, try typing color or colour, aluminum or aluminium. It won't foag the bleeders up for me.

How about fixing that kind of basic, old problem before coming to me with a new operating system?

2. tiggity Silver badge

Sometimes OS is hardware constrained

"we encourage you to move to a newer operating system to ensure that you continue to receive the latest Chrome versions and features"

Certainly with some OSes e.g. Snow Leopard, this is not possible if the Mac does not meet hardware specs for a newer version e.g. RAM amount insufficient for a newer version of OSX.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Sometimes OS is hardware constrained

less Ram - more bits. Snow Leopard was the last Mac OS to support 32bit programs.

1. tiggity Silver badge

I have an old low spec Mac running Show Leopard, For upgrade to e.g. El Capitan, min RAM is 2 GB - which is 1 Gb more than the Mac has (hence taht example).

I like to use old hardware until it dies whenever possible, so not a fan of software deprecation, and that machine is fine for undemanding home use e.g. watching content (get_iplayer runs OK on that old version), listening to music, checking emails etc.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Same boat for me. Using my old faithful Mac running Lion because my newer, shinier Mac is currently a doorstop awaiting a trip to the repair shop. Again.

3. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Not just hardware constraints. If your workflow relies on a feature unceremoniously dumped with little fanfare and but a tiny note in the release notes, then upgrading has to wait until you've found all the components to re-engineer that workflow.

If the ${expletive} bods at Apple hadn't pulled Sync Services because everyone must use their cloud then I'd have upgraded ages ago.

At least with locally installed stuff we have the option. At work we use Office 365 and some time yesterday Microsoft changed something - so some of us could no longer access a shared mailbox. I've got it back on my desktop (using a feature that didn't use to work), but haven't found out how to make it work on my phone or tablet yet.

Sometimes clouds will give you a soaking !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So - your the brakes on your old truck have worn out ...

... we can never make you another set. Please drive off the cliff, with our compliments.

Shysters and thieves all these firms. Rather than actually write a toolset that is maintainable for the long term, keep pushing the marketing spin and sounding the signs of "danger - you are not using new". Think I will drop off this technological train on fire and move into deck chair arranging.

4. Craigness
    Coat

Not A Problem

Windows XP comes with Internet Explorer 6 preinstalled so why is this even news?

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Re: Not A Problem

Because XP comes with the plague pre-installed, and Google are going to stop making the cure?

5. A Twig

You'll have to pry my 2009 Snow Leopard running Macbook, with its 32bit compatability and often useful Rosetta out of my cold dead hands.

Oh well, come April, it'l just be FF on my machine then.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't persistent XP users tend to prefer Internet explorer 7 anyway ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like