back to article Ice volcanoes just part of Plutonic pandemonium

Pluto just keeps getting stranger: the latest speculation to arise from analysis of data gathered by New Horizons is that it might have ice volcanoes. That's one possible explanation for put forward, in a press briefing at NASA's Ames Research Center in California, for the icy peaks that stunned the mission team back in July …

1. frank ly

Pluto .... Pandemonium ....

That's one hell of a coincidence.

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Pluto .... Pandemonium ....

Oh, you're good.

2. gregthecanuck
    Devil

Fact check on aisle 7

Had to look up the term hummocky:

Hummocky (Adj.) "Rocky or bumpy terrain traversed by Hummer or other suitably equipped vehicle".

1. Martin 47

Re: Fact check on aisle 7

'Hummocky' is one of those words which are scientifiky longhand for 'WTF'

2. Crisp

Re: hummocky

I had to look up that word too :

"Hummocky cross-stratification is a type of sedimentary structure found in sandstones. It is a form of cross-bedding usually formed by the action of large storms, such as hurricanes. It takes the form of a series of "smile"-like shapes, crosscutting each other."

I learnt something new!

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Fascinating stuff

Really great work by the New Horizons team

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Used in a sentence

Gosh, that paddock sure is hummocky!

5. 0laf

Cool

So glad Pluto is totally weird. Would have been a bit of a disappointment if the probe had got their and it was just a lump of igneous rock with some craters.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Cool

Had got their what?

1. 0laf

Re: Cool

aaargh!

There, their, they're.

I humbly apologise to the grammatically retentive everywhere.

6. Named coward

Tritan?

Is that a hybrid between Triton and Titan?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Tritan?

It's a Triumph frame with a tank engine in it.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Tritan?

I was wondering where Thomas had got to.

7. EngineerAl

Escaped Moon of Neptune?

There is some thought Pluto may be a moon escaped from Neptune. When it was a Neptunian moon, would tidal forces at that time have generated enough heat to cause ice volcanoes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Escaped Moon of Neptune?

It would, but current theory suggests it was never a Neptunian moon. Pluto does cross Neptune's orbit slightly, but it's also in a 2/3 resonance with Neptune, like many other TNOs.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Escaped Moon of Neptune?

True, it could be that various elements that are gaseous at STP and liquid and just barely at equilibrium under the conditions under the surface of Pluto. Anything that would then add energy would turn the liquid to gas and cause other, lower energy state liquids and solids to erupt from gas pressure.

8. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Why are we surprised by this - surely Pluto's 248-year long elliptical orbit leads to periodic heating and cooling? Its perihelion (closest distance to the sun) is only 60% of its aphelion (furthest point), compared with Earth's perihelion being 97% of its aphelion.

1. Grikath

Yes, but even at Pluto's closest approach, the temperatures there are such that even the most helllish mixture of water ice and other stuff would remain solid as a rock. Don't forget it's Summer there now, and the "weather" we see is based on nitrogen phase changes..

It's speculation, of course, but my bet would be on the time Pluto captured Charon, and their orbits/spins settled. It would depend a bit on the original velocities and spin, but settling into the tidal locked orbit we see now means both bodies must have shed quite impressive amounts of energy. Possibly enough to make Pluto "hot" enough to alllow for at least slush volcanoes.

Anybody got a big cluster for some simulations?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Don't forget, ice isn't always water. It could be nitrogen ice, oxygen ice, even hydrogen ice, depending upon the pressure and temperature.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: Grikath...

I only have a little cluster for simulations.... its perched on my shoulders. Sorry!

The limited simulation run I was able to complete, without hitting the dreaded BSOD, suggests that amongst the pandemonium it is likely that Pluto gets the odd hit by space debris moving at various speeds, some friable and some rock hard. At least some will hit with lots of energy but be quite small. If the density of Pluto increases with depth not much energy will be dissipated until the object is deeply embedded. Phase changes would then be to more gaseous states the deeper one goes which would push up through the 'entry pipe' the softer stuff created during entry creating a 'volcano' - when the gases collapse deep down the whole pipe collapses again leaving a hollow top mound at the surface. Lateral shock waves generated during entry would fracture the surrounding rock and unevenly soften and gasify it. These would be somewhat characteristic of the bubbly froth created by 'boiling' milk but bubbles at the surface would spontaneously re-freeze, perhaps encasing voids. However, expansion of the surface area of the mound might also happen without splitting it but with surface re-freezing at the same time as the central collapse occurs when the same expanded surfaces now are trying to collapse back down into a smaller, flatter area but are unable to do so completely..... leaving a hummocked surface.

Sub-surface radar and gravimetrics would be very interesting. Perhaps on the next trip?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

But will the powers that be make Pluto a planet again?

I vote yes!

10. Captain DaFt

Lovecraft mode engaged.

"“These are big mountains with a large hole in their summit, and on Earth that generally means one thing -- a volcano."

On Earth yes, but this is Pluto, Obviously the Mi-go have a serious Dhole infestation!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon