back to article Here are the graphics processors cloud giants will use to crunch your voices, videos and data

If you think you can build the next Youtube, Facebook or Google, you'll need to invest heavily in artificial intelligence and GPU-accelerated engineering to get any kind of edge over rivals. And Nvidia just so happens to have some hardware for you, or so it says. The graphics chip giant has revealed a Tesla M40 GPU …

1. Jon Massey
    WTF?

Who the hell uses PCI anymore?

288GB/s bandwidth but only connecting to the host at 133MB/s!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Who the hell uses PCI anymore?

It does go on to mention PCIe for the other card. 288GB/s seems quite a lot too. I suspect typos are involved somewhere - part of humankind's petabytes of nonsense.

1. fedoraman

The quoted transfer speed is for the internal memory bus. But the bus is 384bits wide, and the memory is GDDR5 clocked at 6GHz, so - yes - it will fly. What are called device to host transfers (that is CPU to GPU memory transfers) will have to go via the PCI Express bus, and so will be much slower.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Who the hell uses PCI anymore?

PCIe.

C.

2. Schultz

Hey, don't badmouth PCI. I just programmed a vintage ISA card on a vintage ISA motherboard for sub-ns TDC data acquisition. PCI sounds very nice to me.

2. TRT Silver badge

Nvidia are naming their chipsets...

after UK motorways now? I expect engineering works to be causing delays from now on.

3. Yugguy

The petabytes of nonsense humanity churns out every day

This is what always makes me slightly sceptical of claims of shadowy government agencies monitoring everything we do.

I'm sure they'd LOVE to, but can they really sift usefully through the sheer volume of complete bollocks?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: The petabytes of nonsense humanity churns out every day

What do you think the point of this software IS?

1. Yugguy

I completely understand what they CLAIM these devices will do, yes.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

When the rise of the machines will happen, it won't be fancy weapons systems or stock trading AIs - it will be the communications systems that are bloody fed up with all the crap they have to process.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No but they can spend lots of money on buggy programs to profile evil doers, so if your on holiday in the middle east, you just might get profiled as a drone target.

4. phil dude
    Boffin

gcc5, offloading, openacc

You all might like to know that gcc5 supports offloading on the GPU for general C/Fortan code using the OpenACC instructions.

This would permit ffmpeg (from Debian, Redhat etc...) to be accelerated *without* dependence on one type of GPU...

And yes, for wobbling molecules...

P.

5. Pseudonymous Diehard

Yes yes...

Very good...but can it run Crysis?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like