back to article TalkTalk: Data was 'secure', erm, we beat rivals on price. Um, scratch that...

TalkTalk has withdrawn an advertisement from circulation that falsely claimed customers would save more money with the telco than with its rivals. Malcolm Williams, a former customer of the telco, received an advert in the post from TalkTalk encouraging him to sign up to its broadband service. Having left the telco after only …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Errors, we've had a few, but then again, too few to mention...

Those are some pretty fundamental errors in that advert!

That must have taken real skill to make that many mistakes.

1. Commswonk
      Happy

Re: Errors, we've had a few, but then again, too few to mention...

The title of your posting deserves an upvote all of its own.

2. RealBigAl

The errors in the advert were caused by a DDOS attack, Talk Talk are the victims here....

1. VinceH

"The errors in the advert were caused by a DDOS attack, Talk Talk are the victims here...."

No, that's definitely a sequential attack: Someone put one wrong number in after another.

3. Infernoz Bronze badge
      WTF?

I would have thought that being able to use a spreadsheet and simple formulae was a basic office skill...

1. Midnight

"I would have thought that being able to use a spreadsheet and simple formulae was a basic office skill..."

I used to think that too, but then I spent some time working in a basic office.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a mistake in a recent advertising campaign

I'm sure it was a rogue keyboard in the marketing room, no business would EVER even cosider providing misleading figures to influence its sales, nosir!

1. Little Mouse

Re: a mistake in a recent advertising campaign

...especially one as trustworthy as TalkTalk.

Perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt...

3. chivo243 Silver badge

Time to Rebrand

Balk Balk, as any perspective customers will...

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

I saw them advertising on the telly yesterday. Hadn't seen them for a while - problems down 't mill?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

One of the cross-beams has gone out of skew on the treddle,

5. Trollslayer

Talk Talk have a certain consistency

As does a mixture of mud and pig shit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least one thing is true, BT are outrageously expensive.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Checked right now and secure talktalk looks to have been pawned by a Diamond App scammer

I wonder if their diamond prices are right? ;-)

8. dotdavid

"The ASA is currently assessing this complaint, as well as that of Williams, to establish if there are grounds for further action"

TalkTalk will be told not to run the advertisement again in its current form. Uh, like they're already doing.

1. Commswonk

"TalkTalk will be told not to run the advertisement again in its current form. Uh, like they're already doing."

Sadly I think that is the maximum sanction that the ASA has at its disposal; if I am wrong perhaps someone will correct me.

IMHO the truth is that this advertisement was nothing short of attempted fraud and should be dealt with as such, but I see little chance of that happening.

Am I alone in thinking that TT is running without any sort of effective management controls whatsoever*? It all reflects very badly on the senior management, and I hope that the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee adds this latest revelation to the list of things to pursue.

*OTOH perhaps the board thinks that this sort of misconduct is perfectly acceptable and agreed it in advance.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Sadly I think that is the maximum sanction that the ASA has at its disposal; if I am wrong perhaps someone will correct me.

Don't the ASA have the ability to say that they must vet adverts?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Don't the ASA have the ability to say that they must vet adverts?"

Yes, they do. And being so understaffed, eg see how long it takes to act on a complaint, I'd imagine vetting and approving ads for transmissions/display/mailshot would not be an especially high priority.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

> TalkTalk will be told not to run the advertisement again in its current form.

So when is the cut off point at which newly signed up customers will be unable to insist that the savings agreed to as advertised shall still apply?

I am presuming that for as long as they remain customers and until the competitors rates change. Thus, if I was a competitor.. ah wait Talk Talk doesn't have anyone capable of competing. Not even HMG is as incompetablentfulinical.

9. alain williams Silver badge

Time to face up to it ...

it seems that lying by corporations is now normal. Even being caught out is hardly a problem, the lie will soon be forgotten as they dream up the next set of fibs.

Government won't do anything: politicians lie just as much.

10. Stuart 22

Bottom of the barrel and still going down

My ISP is reassuringly expensive. But a lot less than £476 more expensive and provides the fastest Openreach routed connections in the area, ultra reliable (1 break of about 2 hours due to a broken Openreach cable several years ago), 5 usable static IPs, intelligent Lancashire based support, no known data leakages ... I could go on.

I guess there is a place for a rubbish dirt cheap ISP for those who would like a simple basic connection but don't depend on it. TalkTalk can try and claim that position. They should be careful as in the retail business discounters are now eating the majors alive as it is possible to both undercut on price and match if not exceed on quality. TalkTalk ain't no Lidl. They may be able to match 'em on ruthless management but not on efficient and effective management.

Walk, Dido, walk ...

1. joshimitsu

Re: Bottom of the barrel and still going down

Weren't they already at the bottom end of the market?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

URL logs

The government are trusting these clowns with records of every site (though not page) you visit and the legislation does not require these records to be encrypted (it just says "secure" - no mention of encryption or key management etc.).

12. adam payne

Talk Talk just keep on giving headlines to the media.

I would have thought if they were going to do a marketing campaign especially with all the media attention they would at least check the facts and figures on it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TalkTalk are liars??

No frigging way! Who would have thought!

14. macjules
    WTF?

The Freddie Mercury problem ..

Following the Good Omens' theory was that all tapes eventually turn into Best of Queen albums, it seems to me that there is something sinister about Dido Harding in that the more BS she spouts the more she seems to be turning into a Nicola Sturgeon lookalike.

1. Abercol
      Devil

Re: The Freddie Mercury problem ..

Lokking like Ms Sturgeon (a brilliantly apt name if you've ever seen the fugly fish) is bad enough. Sounding like her as well would be fecking awful!

1. Danny 2

Re: The Freddie Mercury problem ..

A guy walks into a psychiatrist's office and says, hey doc, my sister's crazy! She thinks she's a sturgeon. Then the doc says, why don't you turn her in? Then the guy says, I would but I need the eggs.

15. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Headmaster

interesting turn of phrase

"the figures that they printed on the advert were vastly incorrect"

16. Arachnoid

Get out of Jail free

"Unfortunatly due to a recent incursion to our servers by foriegn nationals ,incorrect data was intentionally inserted in the stored information database we used to corrolate our latest advertising literature"

17. gautam

It wasnt us guv. honest

Just ask the 4 teenagers. They wanted some ransom and did some mischief on our servers. We've done all minimum that is required under the law. Just ask my advertising manager, whose name I don't know.

I can assure you the data was not encrypted, hence the 4 teenagers got do their naughty bit.

That's our mitigating circumstances, m'lord.

That's all.

18. Mark 85

PR and Marketing?

I suspect it's a guy named Joe down in the basement.

19. Stevie

Bah!

I reckon the Talk Talk Advertising and Hard Sums Division are the victims of the same cabal of Rogue Technicians who are solely to blame for the Volkswagen Engine Emissions Debacle, and furthermore that these diabolical swine are none other than the infamous Masked Scouts, last seen on The Goodies sometime in the early 70s.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

this is the same rogue engineer doing rounds at various businesses. You know, google, VW, TalkTalk, it's that one loose cannon!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Bastard Engineer From Hell?

1. Mark 85

It would make for an interesting battle of wits... BOFH vs BEFH. If they were to join forces, they would be unstoppable.

20. Captain DaFt

OK, then

Talk Talk can't do maths...

They can't do security...

They can't do acceptable customer service...

And they barely provide the service they advertise...

Are they good for anything besides billing people?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talk talk web page as off Tuesday November 11, is still vulnerable, it has 10 vulnerablys. I have sent images to the register.

22. tony2heads

Scumbag corporation

we REALLY need an icon for it

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Scumbag corporation

Howabout Evil Corp from Mr RObot

23. Danny 2

Cancelling Virgin

I've just spent this morning cancelling my Virgin account. Their internet was fine, but I'll never use them again since their Indian customer support just isn't compatible with my 'Endi-ee-barr' (Edinburgh) accent. I regret not recording that final 30 minute call for comedy purposes. I hate getting annoyed at poor call-centre staff but I honestly have no idea if the bag to return the router will be sent out in 30 days, when I'll already be gone, or ASAP as I asked. Either way I won't be paying for their cost-cutting ever again.

I'd rather be a hacked Talk Talk customer at this point, almost.

1. joshimitsu

Re: Cancelling Virgin

If you had to call the call centre enough times to get fed up with their poor language skills, the service can't be that good....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon