back to article Ubuntu trumpets aromatic pistou of borage

You thought Ubuntu Linux was bad enough, right? What with the freedom-loving Mark Shuttleworth behind it and all the peacenik developers. Baked Beaver and Stoned Salamander could only be a couple of releases away. Near Silicon Valley, however, there lurks a darker, more sinister Ubuntu - one dripping with so much hippie …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice capitalization

PERHAPS aManFromMars has decided "to" OPEN a RESTAURANT?

2. Tanuki
    Thumb Down

Ugh.

That's not a menu - it's a death-sentence. How can any credible geek survive on rabbit-food, which comes without most of the obligatory food-groups [caffeine, alcohol, salt, sugar, pizza] ??

3. J-Wick
    Thumb Up

'These two'...

...are both rather cute! I was expecting borderline NSFW fat old men, given El Reg's tendencies to get our hopes up then dash them away...

4. J
    Dead Vulture

Er...

I'll have to go to the Brazilian steakhouse to clear up my mind of that menu, now. Damn you!

And the two yogis don't look like they have that much energy either, although I'd be more inclined to give them a chance than this menu, mind you...

5. Niall

designThis?

Really? Someone designed that site and are willing to put their name to it?

Is hide n' seek main menu a new paradigm? I must have missed that "webinar".

"Let us wait while the page loads", don't thinks so NEXT.

6. O
    Linux

You may sneer ....

... but have you been there?

I have.

From the reports I'd heard, I thought it'd be pretty reasonable ... in fact, it was genuinely excellent.

7. Chris
    Alert

Car

You may not get to the car, not due to lack of strength, but becasue you've arrested for attempting to commit a DUI.

You may not like the food, but you will get pissed on that menu...!

8. gareth

but don't forget...

ubuntu cola

http://www.ubuntu-trading.com/

9. Dave The Cardboard Box

Deep fried egg. Scrumptious.

Any chance of a wine which complements black pudding?

10. Adam Williamson
    Thumb Up

More of 'em

There's a small chain of hairdressers around where I live (East Vancouver / Burnaby) called Abuntu. I'm not sure if there's such a thing as an open source haircut, though...

11. Dangermouse
    Thumb Up

Don't know about you...

...but I think Vanessa is well fit. If dodgey-rabbit-food menu's and lots of mumbo-jumbo-chanting-stretching makes the women look like that, then I'm all for it!

Sorry, Sarah. Not at all typical-male-always-thinking-of-his-willy behavior here, honestly.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Cryptic

Is what it appears to be AFAIK, that and/or confused:

coq au vin of SPRING VEGETABLES

Is that like a Beef Wellington of WINTER VEGETABLES?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They use biodynamics

New buzzword to look out for:

"At the heart of Biodynamics is the use of special preparations in homeopathic doses that enhance the life of soil, plants, and animals."

Nuff said.

14. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Coat

Brazilian steakhouse

When I read about the need to visit a "Brazilian steakhouse" something in me wondered how difficult it would be to get the wax out from between my teeth...

Mine is the one with the half bottle of sauterns and knee pads...

15. James

Hairdressers

There's a hairdressers near me called Curl Up and Dry, beat that.

16. Graham Lockley
    Coat

Missed opportunity

Why no mention of an open sauce ?

17. JT2008
    Dead Vulture

@Niall

""Let us wait while the page loads", don't thinks so NEXT."

Agreed ...They are just as pretentious as their clientele, apparently.

Sad when arsty runs rampant in my browser.

18. Robert Hill
    Heart

How can ANYONE complain?!?!?

I mean really - it's got a wine list filled with Pope Valley and Trefethen wines for Pete's sake - who CARES about the food?!?!? The nectar of those two wineries alone is reason enough to go, and I hate lots of vegetables. And it looks nice (with plenty of wine!) inside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ubuntunapa/2495343926/in/photostream/

And as for the yoga, a man has got to know his limitations...but if Vanessa feels like helping me find mine, I am all for it!

19. Adrian Hancock
    Thumb Up

Hairdressers

James, I can beat that.. There's one here called "Curl Up and Dye" ^_^

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

They did what to the consommé?!

Never mind. I'm going...

21. Anonymous from Mars
    Happy

That looks delicious!

That looks delicious!

I want everything on the menu!

mmm open source food

22. Barry Rueger
    Dead Vulture

Vegan? Pffft....

Ah... several years ago I was part of a week long camp for sound artists. We offered a fully vegan menu. The food was delicious, truly outstanding.

Three days in though people began recording and editing the sounds of the end result - a very gaseous and entertaining bit of audio recording it was.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

WTF?

Can /anyone/ explain why "couscous" requires quotes round it?

Salad is what food eats.

24. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

@ Adrian re: Hairdressers

That one's so old it's drawing a pension and so common it's got a village built around it. It says something about hairdressers that they persist in thinking it's clever.

However, the original one is somewhat amusing, but only because it proves there's some hairdresser out there crap enough to a) still think it's clever and b) get it wrong....

25. Caff

ubuntu cola

http://www.ubuntu-trading.com/

Yup ubuntu fairtrade cola, they sell it in centra here in dublin

26. GrahamT
    Unhappy

Vegan vs vegetarian

I really do wonder how they can call/make vegan meals containing eggs and/or cheese, and as someone already said, how can you have vegetarian coq au vin. Cocks don't lay eggs, so they can't get around it that way.

Obviously no Trade Descriptions Act in Napa Valley.

27. Simon Riley

Hairdressers

Possilby an urban myth but I heard there was one called Beau Locks

28. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

meat eating fascists

oi. I'm losing respect of theregister.

i'm a vegetarian (was a vegan a long time back) and this menu looks lovely.

if you want to eat meat, go elsewhere with your haughty views. plenty of

people who wont be suffering bowl cancer, cholesterol problems and clogging

up the NHS due to their meat-excessive diets will enjoy eating here.

29. Doug Glass
    Joke

Shades of Dolcett

Whew! At first I thought this was a joint (whose name was a play on words) where humans served each other ... literally.

30. Natalie Gritpants

Re: meat eating fascists

If you eat meat you might be strong enough to hold down the shift key a bit more often.

31. M
    Heart

@Natalie Gritpants

Thank you for making me force coffee through my nostrils at high velocity covering my monitor and keyboard.

Funny though!

32. Anonymous Coward
    Go

It's not the only thing called Ubuntu

Recently I bought Ubuntu Cola. Costs double of what a normal Pepsi or Coke can normally do, but some percentages of the sale supposedly goes to the needy ones in Africa. Didn't taste bad either.

And yes, I got Ubuntu as well as XP installed on my machine.

33. David Lester
    Coat

Restaurant Reviews

Dear Ashley,

I've found two restaurant reviews for this place (I had thought that a mate of mine who reviews for the Michelin Guide had reviewed it early last year when he visited Napa, but apparently not).

http://www.chow.com/stories/11149/

Quote: "In February, Ubuntu was lauded by New York Times food critic Frank Bruni as one of the 10 best new restaurants in the country alongside meat-centric places like New Orleans’s Cochon."

Alternatively,

http://madeater.blogspot.com/2008/03/not-review-of-ubuntu.html

(So, Pizza is on the menu, and wine, and salt (lots of salt), Mr Tanuki)

From what I can see of the wine list, there's lots of Napa wine (duh!), but perhaps a little surprisingly none of the wines I'd personally select from Napa are there. Perhaps that's to be expected, as most Californian wine never makes it onto the shelves of wine stores here in the UK. On the other hand, the French wines with which I'm much more familiar don't inspire much confidence in the sommelier. Delas Freres Cote-du-Rhone? An eminently missable Sauternes?

My best guess? Ashley probably won't like this restaurant anymore than I would.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curl Up and Dye - the sequal.

I saw the hairdressers 'Curl Up and Dye' in the film "The Blues Brothers". It's where the jilted girlfriend (played by Carrie Fisher) appeared at the beginning of the film.

Just goes to show that absolutely nothing is original anymore, especially shop names (I remember a hairdressers called 'Haircut 100' - it was the 1980s though and everyone was probably on Drugs).

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: meat eating fascists

I've been vegetarian for > 25 years. This menu made me want to go to my local, award winning chip shop for large chips and a pineapple fritter*!

*Part of my 5-a-day healthy eating plan.

36. Richard Sloan
    Pirate

@AC

I think the NHS would be clogged up with rickets, vitamin D deficiency, and a number of other complications associated with vegitarianism/veganism instead in your perfect world mate. If we were built to run on vegetables alone we would be able to digest cellulose like herbivores can, then we wouldn't have these issues.

37. Andy Silver badge
    IT Angle

IT angle?

@Richard Sloan

Been vegetarian for rather more than half my life, during which time I've only seen the inside of a medical establishment after falling off my bike and cracking my head open. Doubtless diet related. You do eat all your meat directly off the raw carcass, I suppose, as nature intended. Gotta put all those huge canine teeth to use.

IT angle?

'"HUMANITY" is not a member of a group specified for any attribute'. Profound, but sadly invalid.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ubuntunapa.com%2Fhtml%2Findex.html

-A.

38. Bruce Sinton
    Paris Hilton

IT angle

In a jungle far far away, a long time ago my Hominid ancestors discovered FIRE,

and then found that using that to heat(cook) bits of other mammals , made it much more easy to digest.

I understand that started our brain on the enlargement path.

They have much to answer for.

But it did result in Paris!

39. Mr Larrington
    Paris Hilton

Meat eating fascists

I may be missing the point big-time, but either this place is not as vegetarian as one might think or the bloke who wrote the menu doesn't speak French. Coq au vin, by definition, contains meat.

Paris, coz she eats m$%^&_)(NO CARRIER

40. Matt

All together now

"participation of the entire table is requested"

You what now?

Isn't this how restaurents generally work? I.e. everyone at the table eats. Are they worried that large groups will show up and take up seats but everyone will actually eat?

41. DAN*tastik

Need more details!

they go to great lengths to tell you know EXACTLY what arugula or apricots they are using, but nothing about the shell of the pea thing.

Is it BASH, C, or possibly FISH?

and does anything called ubuntu really have to have the brown theme?

http://www.tuxjournal.net/?p=3628

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like