back to article NBN shows strong ARPU growth as users connect

Fibre-to-the-home revenue on Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN) more than double between the first quarter 2015 and the quarter just completed, the company's latest results announcement shows. nbnTM reported AU$41 million in FTTP revenue for the quarter, $25 million better than the $16 million recorded for the same …

1. mathew42
    FAIL

78% on FTTN, HFC, 4G speeds

Great to see that 78% on fibre have selected speeds easily obtainable on FTTN, HFC & 4G.

1. jamesb2147

Re: 78% on FTTN, HFC, 4G speeds

In theory, sure. Let me know how that works out for you the next time it rains.

You sound a little too certain of your own convictions, and a little too interested in tooting your own horn, which in my book makes you a politician. Technical persons are generally not so interested in grand, sweeping statements that sweep important details like line quality under the rug. That's the purview of politicians leaving goose eggs for the next administration to clean up.

Also, I'm in the US, and haven't ever seen LTE top 30Mbps. Latency on wireless, even LTE, is generally in the 80ms ballpark. And as someone who uses SIP over top of his LTE connections (I've used Sprint, T-Mo, and Verizon for this), I can personally attest that this is a less than superb experience. Is the outback great for reception or something?

NOTE: I've only done this speed testing on Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, and never at the same time. Most of my tests have been on Verizon, and not in super urban areas (generally cities of ~100k-250k population). I've used various devices, generally phones, to test LTE speed using the SpeedTest app from Ookla.

1. mathew42

Re: 78% on FTTN, HFC, 4G speeds

> Technical persons are generally not so interested in grand, sweeping statements that sweep important details like line quality under the rug.

An average person doesn't care significantly about line quality as long as it is sufficiently good. For video streaming that means that buffering is sufficient to cover any glitches.

> Also, I'm in the US, and haven't ever seen LTE top 30Mbps. Latency on wireless, even LTE, is generally in the 80ms ballpark.

Considering 78% in Australia are happy with 25Mbps or less, 4G can meet that. Secondly, Australia is ~250ms from the US. The third part of the story you are missing is that most internet plans in Australia come with quotas, so speed tiers aren't needed to limit usage because quotas are much more effective.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like