back to article Symantec numbers are out. Execs might wish they weren't

A soon to be storage-free Symantec has reported its last numbers before the split with Veritas and they aren’t good - not if you are a company exec or investor. The firm has operationally split from Veritas - which was offloaded to private equity biz The Carlyle Group - but the legal separation is set for 1 January. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good...

Good. I hope it hurts.

There's a special place in Hell waiting for anyone even remotely associated with Norton AntiVirus 07.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Good...

"There's a special place in Hell waiting for anyone even remotely associated with Norton AntiVirus 07."

And for what they did to Altiris - especially Recovery Solution, the outgrowth of previous generation product Previo. Absolutely brilliant product shelved and destroyed by Shitmantec in order to push their own crap. Previo/Altiris RS had many clever features - any level of recovery from file version rollbacks to bare metal restore, and on the server side there was redundant file elimination and a robust repository for the data. A somewhat minimalist version of Previo appeared in Windows Home Server - another product killed before it's time but that's another rant...

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Re: Good...

And that's without mentioning the horror that Ghost became in its later years. Or the Quarterdeck stuff they bought and ruined.

Honestly, if you were a competitor with something Symantec acquired, you'd have been sitting on a goldmine...

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Instead of focusing on "rebuild executive talent" why not try "fixing shitty software" instead?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope the yellow and black shitboat sinks

As one of the thousands "top contributors" rudely purged in their climb back out of the sewage who were actually trying to help them rebuild may I wish them nothing but pain, layoffs and rotting in hell. The CEO of the year club won't save the company, the employees are all looking for new work.

4. terry 1
    FAIL

Not surprised

Earlier this year they announced they were stopping SBE antivirus / SMSMSE as a package and selling them individually. Surprise surpise the combined price of both was near double what the package was.

So for my smaller clients, they have Avast free for business and only SMSMSE looking after their Exchange. Although the price is the same, it's Symantec that has ultimatlely lost out on revenue as the only thing that keeps me using SMSME is the fine control I have on content filtering - something I have yet to find on other Exchange protection software.

5. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

storage-free business?

Nah. Heading for the profit-free business. Bong would definitely approve. If he hasn't been running the operation all along.

6. x 7

Simple fact is, their antivirus solutions don't work in the real world. Too many things get past them - especially adware and scamware

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like