back to article Firefox 42 ... answer to the ultimate question of life, security bugs and fully private browsing?

Mozilla has released Firefox 42 and Firefox ESR 38 38.4, which include fixes for worrying security vulnerabilities in the web browser. The November 3 update squashes at least three bugs that can be potentially exploited to achieve remote code execution. Two Mozilla engineers, Tyson Smith and David Keeler, uncovered two flaws …

1. Simon Westerby 1

Does it stop the random crashes that have started happening recently???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

None here, must be your driving.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Does it stop the random crashes that have started happening recently???

Probably an iffy third party extension. Disable them all and see if the stability returns. It's solid as a rock here.

3. paulf
      FAIL

I've also had repeated random crashes - 3-4 a week. There's nothing iffy or exotic in my add-ons:

ABP

Flashblock

Classic Theme Restorer.

Anyway it shouldn't be possible for an add-on to completely take out the entire application with a fatal crash. Even if an add-on is causing problems the main Firefox application should be able to contain that within the add-on.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

I have all 3 of those addons too, and have crashes. So our joint experience suggests that one of them may be responsible

2. Justin Clift

Re: paulf

Flashblock hasn't been maintained for a long time now, so it's possible that's the cause. Firefox itself now offers similar functionality built-in (click to play), so it's probably something you can drop. :)

4. Simon Westerby 1

Oh no - it adds even more crashes - now the Java 1.7 plugin crashes too - which means its a no-no for work...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tracking protection

Go on moziila, switch on privacy.trackingprotection.enabled by default in all browsing modes.

I dare ya.

3. DF118

See, out IT dept...

...loves jumping on stories like this as "evidence" that open source is inherently less secure, because open source.

This logic seemingly only applies to desktop browsers though. Smart phone and server OS's are apparently immune.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: See, out IT dept...

As I've pointed out before, and no doubt many others have as well, most or all of the commercial and open source TLS implementations have been shown to have serious, exploitable bugs over the past couple of years. I don't know of one that hasn't. (Well, maybe Certicom's, but they're not really maintaining it any more, so it can hardly be recommended.) Even the relatively obscure ones like CyaSSL.

They're all broken.

This latest round of issues in NSS is just par for the course. It's not at all surprising that there's an exploitable bug in the ASN.1 decoder, for example, because ASN.1 is a nightmare specification and BER and DER are horrendously over-complicated. (ASN.1 is a fine example of Brooks' "second system effect".) And ASN.1 is just one little part of an SSL/TLS implementation. They are very, very difficult to get right.

It would probably help somewhat to use a language that imposed many more checks - range and bounds checking in particular - and garbage collection, because then developers wouldn't have to be so vigilant (and developers are terrible at vigilance). But performance would suffer and SSL/TLS performance is very important to a lot of users, particularly people who run busy websites.

Of course security is always a matter of economics, and TLS does improve the defender's position for some prominent branches of the attack tree, which is why we continue to recommend it for many use cases. But you have to assume any implementation contains exploitable bugs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I'm still waiting for on the ability to use client certificates in Firefox on Android.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

Nice to get the bugs out...

Now stop integrating Pocket and Reader, and any other crap I might not have noticed yet.

Thank you.

6. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Terminator

Naïve question, I know

But how can I tell if I've been the victim of one of these security exploits?

I mean before my bank account is emptied.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Naïve question, I know

"But how can I tell if I've been the victim of one of these security exploits?

I mean before my bank account is emptied."

Stick with Wife 1.0 and uninstall Girlfriend 2.0

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hell, I am still on Girlfriend 1.17.

1. Beornfrith

Your girlfriend is Master Chief?

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Hell, I am still on Girlfriend 1.17.

While you're posting? That seems discourteous to at least one of the parties involved.

But how can I tell if I've been the victim of one of these security exploits?

No completely accurate decision procedure exists. I'm pretty sure I (or you, or anyone else) could prove this is isomorphic to the Halting Problem with just a little effort.

These are general exploitable vulnerabilities that allow remote code execution. That means an attacker may have been able to run arbitrary code with the privileges your Firefox processes run under. You'd need an incorruptible audit trail of everything done by your Firefox processes and some way to evaluate it.

But take heart. Similar bugs probably exist in most of the software you use, and always have, so the situation has not changed.

7. Doctor Evil

Zippy!

They've done some good work in v42.0 to speed up window display and tab rendering. Much faster than previously. Very nice!

1. John Sanders
      Paris Hilton

Re: Zippy!

Have they solved the 10% cpu issue in Linux? (Firefox suddenly using 10% of the CPU for no discernible reason) and making the whole of X.org lag even more than it normally does.

I have to close/open FF on a regular basis because of that, and it has been going on for almost a year. (It is not extensions, it is a javascript problem of some sort caused by random interweb pages)

Probably not, they are too busy introducing another round of web 3.0 shit no one cares about.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't know, I had to install NoScript because of that.

And this week, I've fully transitioned to PaleMoon for surfing the shark-infested interwebs. It comes in a nice .tar.gz DIY install package now. Runs my handrolled canvas-based game gfx editor much faster than recent Firefoxes too. Thank you Moonchild & friends!

2. Fatman
        Joke

<quote>Probably not, they are too busy introducing another round of web 3.0 dodgy UI changes and other shit no one cares about.</quote>

FTFY!!!

3. Baskitcaise

"Have they solved the 10% cpu issue in Linux?"

Opensuse tumbleweed here with Firefox 42.0 after a couple of days of constant browsing and stuff I have not seen any spikes at all, also at the moment ( only two tabs open though) it is only using: 1% cpu ( 4core I3 lappy ).

Seems smoother as well

HTH

4. HieronymusBloggs

"Have they solved the 10% cpu issue in Linux?"

Haven't tried 42 yet but it's 100% CPU here with some javascript.

It's also extremely irritating to have to install an add-on just to do something as basic as turning off javascript. Why they removed that ability from FF itself is beyond me. Every new version seems to remove something useful that I rely on.

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    WTF?

What does Darren Pauli know?

Very little it seems:

The programming cockups were reported by security researcher Ronald Crane. "These do not all have clear mechanisms to be exploited through web content but are vulnerable if a mechanism can be found to trigger them,"

No software bugs are good but neither are they all "cockups" – something like heartbeat would count as one of those. If you don't understand the possible attack vectors as a result of the bugs then just admit it and don't dress them up as "scary". A lot of bugs do require pretty esoteric exploits which, however, can be quickly "weaponised" once the attack vector is understood and a proof of concept has been developed. This is the nature of security.

And how about providing links to the various CVE reports?

I'm not a fan of the shit they keep on adding to the browser and the UI fuckery but there is no doubt in my mind that Mozilla is much more responsive to bugs since it switched to time-based releases.

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: What does Darren Pauli know?

<quote>I'm not a fan of the shit they keep on adding to the browser and the UI fuckery...</quote>

Another member of the club!

Re: What does Darren Pauli know?

And how about providing links to the various CVE reports?

The official ones aren't up yet. The MITRE CVE database still shows the three CVEs as "reserved", which means Mozilla requested IDs but hasn't filled in the details yet.

There's the security advisory on mozilla.org, but it doesn't have much information - nothing that's not in the article, really.

The Mozilla Bugzilla database probably has more information, but you need an account with suitable permissions to view those bugs.

9. Sitaram Chamarty

Stopped using FF for all but one or two fussy sites after the Pocket nonsense got in.

Qupzilla -- yeah I know, what a name! -- works great. It also has some serendipitous extras for me. For example, if I have many tabs from the same site, and I want to enable JS on one of them, in FF+NoScript, this touches ALL the tabs and they all start reloading. In Qupzilla it's only that tab.

Now if it could only do that for cookies also, that would be grrrreat!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like