back to article US radar paparazzi snap 'Halloween Asteroid'

NASA has served up some radar images of the so-called "Halloween Asteroid" - a 600 metre diameter ball of rock that whisked past Earth on 31 October. Mercifully, Bruce Willis' services were not required, as asteroid 2015 TB145 - to use its official title - came no closer to Hollywood than 1.3 lunar distances (480,000km). NASA …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Why do radar pictures show sunlight and shadow? Those are normal pictures.

1. Dave Pickles
      Holmes

Because the radar signal was sent from one dish and received by another several thousand miles away.

1. kryptonaut

"Because the radar signal was sent from one dish and received by another several thousand miles away."

That's what I thought at first, but given the asteroid is several hundred thousand miles away, I don't think that can be the reason. Could the asteroid just be more radar-reflective in some parts than in others?

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I am not a Radio Astronomer, but

It's not a picture, it's a delay-Doppler image -- which is a graph.

A radar pulse doesn't come back as a 2D spacial signal. It's come back as a "point" spread out in time and smeared across frequencies. That's plotted as:

x= frequency

y = time

pixel[ x, y ] = intensity

Image a plotter with multiple heads drawing wiggly lines on a roll of paper -- like a cinema polygraph. Each column of pixels is the output of one plotter head, plotting the signal received at a particular frequency. The brighter the pixel, the bigger the spike the plotter-head produced.

So the (y-axis) is just the distance from the receiver (the path-length). I'm using Radio Astronomy 101 here, but I presume the top pixels are the ones received first so produce the strongest signal.

The x-axis comes about because the asteroid is rotating and so the frequency of the pulse is Doppler shifted.

3. Pat Att

It can be the shadow from the radar signal itself. It doesn't have to be a bistatic radar to indicate shadow.

2. hatti

It looks like an angry space potato

1. Youngdog

The worst kind of space potato

3. Scott Broukell

And when, eventually, one stikes earth . . . .

NEOO OOO that hurt!

1. asdf

Re: And when, eventually, one stikes earth . . . .

My guess is the biggest danger globally of an impact event is whether it causes a flood basalt near the antipodes to its impact (600m wouldn't I believe). The link between massive volcanism and extinction events is stronger than impact events. Especially since volcanism has also been found near the same geological time of most of the big impact events as well.

1. asdf

Re: And when, eventually, one stikes earth . . . .

That said yeah a 600m rock hitting your city at higher Mach double digit would cause an owie.

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

"transmited high-power microwaves toward the asteroid"

So was it well cooked?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "transmited high-power microwaves toward the asteroid"

No, but any birds in the way would be well done.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

480,000 km

Well that settles that then.

On the previous article on this subject, there was argument over this sentence :

The asteroid will come within 498,896 kilometers of Earth

Some people deemed the number suspiciously exact and thus called NASA's results into question. Well I think we can all agree that NASA wasn't so wrong after all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like