back to article Wireless charging desks are coming

Nirvana can be hard to define, but actually creating it can be infinitely harder – especially when the nirvana in question is the Digital Workplace Vision. Well, register now to watch our on-demand Regcast, where we grilled a panel of experts to find out what you need to create a practical Digital Workplace vision. You’re …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. phuzz Silver badge
    Trollface

Wireless charging desks eh?

Better not fall asleep with your head on the desk then...

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Facepalm

Too true!

If you thought keyboard face was an occupational hazard, just wait for roasted cheek.

2. NotWorkAdmin

Already there

My wireless charger is already fixed under my desk so no-one can see it, and the phone charge on the desk.

Might sound petty, but no-one ever asks to borrow my charger.

1. Haku

Re: Already there

I added a wireless charging pad to my Samsung S2, it worked ok, charged a bit slower than normal, but had to remove it because I got missed calls as it almost completely blocked with the mobile signal :(

2. Otto is a bear.

Don't hold your breath,

Yeah, ok, technically you can do this, but actually, who is going to buy it. Really, what's the business case incentive for any company to replace their desks with this, or for that matter home workers to pay the additional costs of an embedded charger. What company purchasing department is ever going to have this on their buy requirements.

I guess it could be a bit of Satya/Larry oneupmanship. @NotWorkAdmin has the right solution.

Now, fit a charging pad to a monitor, or a multipoint socket, you might get some adoption.

3. Infernoz Bronze badge
    FAIL

This idea will just end up with loads of useless or scrapped desks when the wireless charging systems change! There may even be things which unexpectedly malfunction inside a wireless charger field, which could be annoying or worse, that may include living things like our bodies!

Just how fracking stupid are these designers? Just supply plenty of shutter protected 2 Amp USB charging sockets in desks, much like some desks include mains sockets, so that people only need USB charging leads, they are still a lot faster than any current wireless charging system.

At home I have a tiny 40W Anker USB charger brick with /one/ mains lead, which can charge up to 5 devices at up to 2A, because I got fed up with loads of 5V portable device charger plugs in a mains strip and guessing which leads supplied 2A!

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Meh

Engaging new paradigm of synergistic integration

I don't want to register my desk to activate it, spend hours tracking down desk malfunctions, receive e-mails about new desk opportunities, view personalized content related to my choice of desk, become park of an online desk community, enter a walled garden of compatible surface objects, plug my desk into an outlet, or upgrade my desk every two years. Do not integrate tech into to my desk.

This topic is closed for new posts.