back to article CSC, NetCracker IT staff worked on US military telecoms 'without govt security clearance'

The US Department of Justice (DoJ) has extracted $12m (£7.78m) from contractors accused of using workers who had not been given proper security clearances before performing government IT work. The DoJ said Netcracker Technology Corp would pay $11.4m and Computer Sciences Corp (CSC) would shell out $1.35m to settle allegations …

1. elDog

Hey, nothing that a nice dinner with a few bundles of cash can't resolve.

There is so little oversight by really independent groups that thievery is now the norm.

I'm in the fine USofA. I don't know about you folks in other countries. But I think I know very well that only the soddiest of the sods report cash transactions.

In some countries even the supposed employees expect to get paid by special perks.

Not terribly illustrative, but our new US Speaker of the House gets lots of family leave time etc that he won't allow his minions to enjoy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hey, nothing that a nice dinner with a few bundles of cash can't resolve.

>but our new US Speaker of the House gets lots of family leave time etc that he won't allow his minions to enjoy.

Well they should have pulled themselves up by the bootstraps just like Mr. Ryan did.

"Ryan's rise to political power and financial stability was boosted by family connections and wealth. The larger Ryan family has repeatedly helped the candidate along in his career, giving him a job when he needed one and piling up tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions."

1. 404

Re: Hey, nothing that a nice dinner with a few bundles of cash can't resolve.

Yeah, I fucking give up - can't fight the fuckers when they're dirtier than the fuckers that fucked you over in the first fucking place...

Which brings us to 'Take what you can, give nothing back'... /despair

:|

2. chris 17 Silver badge

Would be great to see our UK government taking strong action against vendors like the US gov does.

UK departments just seem to bend over and keep writing chequers for terrible service and shoddy practices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

UK departments just seem to bend over and keep writing chequers for terrible service and shoddy practices.

Maybe it is bad practice to piss off those who are helping you with your retirement?

2. GrumpyKiwi
      FAIL

When I contracted at the British MoD it took 6+ months to get your security clearance - if you were lucky that is and your paperwork didn't get lost or have tea spilled on it or get mistaken for a completely different contractors.

None of which stopped you from working (or not working for that matter and spending 50% of your time at the local).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When I contracted at the British MoD it took 6+ months to get your security clearance - if you were lucky that is and your paperwork didn't get lost or have tea spilled on it or get mistaken for a completely different contractors.

Originally I was wondering about this too as you can work under supervision, clearance is just required so you can access and handle information independently. This case is about the minimum qualifications of the people the company was contractually obliged to supply. I suspect they were able to negotiate substantially elevate rates for cleared people, but were then caught placing people who were not cleared, thus breaching the contract.

Being simultaneously in breach of contract and in violation of National Security requirements may have some side effects for their management. Muppets.

1. GrumpyKiwi

Well it was the late 1990's and maybe things were different then. I don't remember 'supervision' either. Just told, here is your list of remote sites. Make Arcserve (ugggh, Arcserve) back them all up. And while you're at it, look after our Groupwise server (ugggh, Groupwise).

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"When I contracted at the British MoD it took 6+ months to get your security clearance - if you were lucky that is and your paperwork didn't get lost or have tea spilled on it or get mistaken for a completely different contractors."

The same is true in the US, as well as complimentary PII sharing with the PRC via the OPM breach.

If no great big flags pop up on the initial background check, one is granted an interim clearance. After the interim clearance is granted, the real investigation begins by burial of the forms in a peat bog for six months, quadruplicate copies misfiled, refiled, lost, found, twisted. folded and mutilated before the investigator gets the paperwork.

In my case, the investigator then annoyed all of my friends and neighbors, but thankfully left this BOFH MK 2 alone.

3. Triggerfish

@ GrumpyKiwi

Aaah yes,you haven't got clearance yet so you can't officially do this. Followed by come look over my shoulder and well show you whats happening.

4. Tom 13

@GrumpyKiwi

US rules are different. If you aren't cleared you can't look at it. Not even under supervision. That's assuming of course it is some sort of secret clearance as opposed to the "clearance" of we ran him through the usual police databases and nothing turned up so he's ok to work here and Bob's Farcebook search didn't turn up anything either clearance. Given how they treat telecoms at my agency where I got the second type of clearance, I expect they really did need the first. And yeah, those cost a contracting premium.

Oh, and depending on your situation, that clearance might or might not transfer to a another project even if it is the exact same type of work.

3. Mark 85

"Would be great to see our UK government taking strong action against vendors like the US gov does."

Well.. this may not be "strong action" but it is action. How strong it is depends on how much the contract was worth. It's possible that this fine gets paid out of petty cash instead of being a serious hit to the bottom line.

4. Tom 13
      Devil

@chris 17

Fear not. Those fines sound rather small in the context of these sorts of contracts. Also, given the size of CSC it feels odd reading they were the sub. Finally, as the companies can't be allowed to go out of business, they'll figure out a way to bill it back to the government on other contracts, plus a percentage for all the work of re-billing it through other channels.

So in a sense, your UK departments are saving you money because you won't incur the cost of re-billing the fines.

The only one in this fiasco who MIGHT be coming out with some money in his pocket is the whistle blower, and even that is a 50/50 thing.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Same issue in Australia. Extremely invasive, then the paperwork literally gets lost. You're waiting months to get clearance. The outsourcer agrees to this but doesn't consider the implications for actual contract execution (or someone up the vast overpopulated management chain decides a few bucks saved is better) and we have people all over the place working without clearance, and sharing user IDs to do so. The whole thing seems like a massive butt covering exercise rather than serious security to protect seriously sensitive data.

4. zen1

CSC executive "leadership" needs to be jailed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"CSC executive "leadership" needs to be jailed."

That'd be one prison full of leadership.

1. zen1

That it would. And I can't think of a more deserving group of schmucks. I worked there for almost 30 years and to see what they did to that company, at the expense of a lot of good employees and unsuspecting companies and governments is nothing less than profane. I am thankful every day that I was able to find an employer who needed someone with my specialized skill set.

2. Tom 13

@zen1

Can't. Even here in the US we don't have THAT many prisons.

5. a_yank_lurker

With OPM handling the data the Chinese have it anyhow. Probably get a clearance faster in China or Russia.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hell, with my clearance, China would probably offer me a job!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stick it to em!

SC Clearance is a foolproof way of protecting defense secrets, just look at Edward Snowden. Oh Dear!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like